F800GS Side stand kill switch Question

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by waddlebiker, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    I just replace the side stand support unit on my 2009 F800GS. When the bike fell over, on the left side, the after market Fastway foot peg hit the little peg that holds the side stand spring on, and off came the spring. I replaced the whole unit that holds the foot peg and the side stand and the shut off switch, to shut the engine off if the side stand is down. I was pretty proud of myself until I started the bike, with the side stand up, shifted into 1 and the bike instantly shut off. I thought I reinstalled the kill switch just like it came off. Any ideas? Do I need to go to the dealer and have them reset something with the electronics? I don't want to disable the kill switch, just make it work correctly.
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just don't have the switch on correctly. Its bacicly out of time with the stand. Put the bike on the center stand. Remove the switch and move it around in different positions till you figure out how it goes back on. So the bike runs stand up but not stand down.in gear. Nothing to reset. I know of two of them that fell of while riding. We just positioned them where the bike would run and all was fine.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Perfect example of what forUms are for!
    Let us know when you have it fixed.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly, On my 2009 there are three wires on the side-stand switch : red, white, brown.
    When RED + WHITE are connected it means the stand is UP

There is a peg / hole arrangement to align the switch to the kickstand maybe your alignment peg broke?

Here's a thread that discusses it: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964056
  5. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I got her done. I had installed the the switch correctly but it was 180 degrees off. Great advice. Thanks.
  6. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Well shoot. It's not fixed yet. When the bike is on the center stand I can shift into 1 and it doesn't die. Take it off the center stand, shift into 1 - it dies. I'll read the thread that was posted, but there seems to be something tricky about this.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Wha? Is the centerstand even connected to any of this? I thought it was standalone and didn't touch any of this.
  8. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just not getting something about this problem. Attached is a photo from the back of the side stand. There is a spline on the electrical unit that fits into the hole on the side stand. Seems pretty simple, but doesn't work. Bike still dies when I shift into 1.? DSC_5240_LI.jpg
  9. sieg

Oddometer:
    I have had two of them apart but not recently so I forget exactly how it goes. Not getting what you mean by "spline that goes in a hole" part. Splines don't go in holes where I come from, splined shafts go in splines holes but I don't think thats the case here.
    But it looks like two holes it the picture, is the "spline" in the wrong hole?
    Why not leave the switch off for a test. Put the bike on the center stand. Side stand up. Move the switch position around till it will run. Install the switch in that position.

IDK, good luck. If I get bored tomorrow I'll take one of mine apart and give it a look.
  10. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Not very good at explaining things. What I was trying to show in the picture is a little peg on the left that, I assume, fits into the little hole on the right. The side stand is in the up position, in the photo, and the peg lines up with the hole, but when I slide the peg, on the switch, into the hole, in the back of the side stand, the bike dies when shifted from neutral start position, into first gear. I can't see how I can rotate the switch to a different position and still attach it to the back of the side stand. Thanks for the help. I'll keep working at it. Photo is of the little peg on the switch. DSC_5246_LI.jpg
    sieg likes this.
  11. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure but can the switch turn around, ie put the now back side to the front?
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    Well I took off the side stand switch from one of my bikes today a 2015 F700GS if it matters. To me it looks like mine will only go on one way.

Here are the only two indexing (timing) locating items.
    #2 is a round pin on the bike frame or mount bracket.
    #3 is the hole in the side stand. v

20200321_131005_LI (2).jpg

#4 the "U" shaped slot on the outside of the switch housing, is what pin #2 goes into.
    #1 the little rectangular pin/tab in the inner moveable part of the switch, goes into hole #3 v

20200321_130926_LI.jpg

Switch mounted to bike with pin #2 in slot #4 v

20200321_131020_LI.jpg

Pin/tab #1 on the bottom where it should line up and go into hole #3 with side stand in to "up" position. v

20200321_131049_LI.jpg
    That's all I got, good luck.
    JRWooden likes this.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-3-22_17-11-5.png

If you had my kind of luck the switch would just happen to fail at the same time you were dinking around with the other stuff ... :becca
    Here's the schematic

Red + white should be UP
    Red + brown-ish should be DOWN

you might want to check yours with ohm-meter
  14. waddlebiker

waddlebiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much all of the input. Not being able to solve the issue and get the darn thing to work, I cut the wires, spliced the red and white wires together and rode off into the sunset. I'll order a new switch assembly and see if I can get that installed some time in the future. In the mean time it is great to be able to start the bike and shift into first without having it kill. I'm learning a little more each time I have a problem. Thanks again.
    JRWooden likes this.
  15. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    on your '09 did you order just the new switch or the lead wire with the switch ?
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    At some point along production the kickstand was beefed up. 2011? 2012?
    I don't know if the design of the safety switch was changed with it or not.......................
    If not, I may have a spare switch in the garage ....

anybody know if the switch is the same across all model years?
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the old switch has a 12" or so lead attached to it where with the new switch the lead is separate and the switch and wire are to individual items. when i changed my side stand i used the old switch, with the lead attached, because it ties to a connector somewhere behind the rear shock and i just didn't feel like trying to get my hand in there to change it.
    JRWooden likes this.
  18. riderjacob

riderjacob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I recently had the EXACT same issue as the OP and here's what I learned.
    1. it doesn't matter how many rotations away from standard position the sensor is at as long as it's within the threshold range of what it will allow. Ex. if I rotate the pin in the sensor 360° or even 720° away from a position that is known to work, it will still work in that new position.
    2. My issue was that the new side stand/foot peg mount had a hole that was off center preventing everything from lining up. The 2 pins and the hole should line up in a straight line. In my attached photos you'll see an example of one that lines up and functions as it should, one that doesn't, and you'll see a photo of the one that doesn't work. On the one that doesn't work, the reason is because there was a manufacturing defect and the mounting hole for the side stand was off center and threw everything else off. I hope this helps someone!

Attached Files:

JRWooden likes this.