F800GS Tire Change/Brake Caliper Question

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rockinrog, Mar 3, 2009.

1. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The manual shows the securing screws of the right hand caliper are supposed to be torx but what I have on mine is different..forgive me if I have the termonology wrong but the pictures will tell the tale.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/3327250332_fc6cbe8042_o.jpg
    [​IMG]

What is on my GS:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3327250058_152fc179b3_o.jpg
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't be a big deal, but I have the torx that is supposed to be on there but not the socket for what is actually on there.

Can someone tell me what its called and/or what size it is so I can go buy one.
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    My caliper bolts are exactly like yours - they are Torx but male instead of female. I prefer what you and I have since they are much easier to drill for safety wire.

[​IMG]
  3. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to know I am not special. I am just glad my first tire change was in the garage and not on the road as BMW supplies the regular torx in the tool kit. I needed a E-12 External torx socket.
  4. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    The F800GS tool kit sucks donkey dong. Don't go beyond the county line until you put together your own set. There's a thread on what you need here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392198 If that link is hosed (my first attempt), check the Hall of Wisdom Sticky in Beasts.
  5. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    fyi, those fancy male tork heads seem to work fine with a regular socket for me. ymmv
  6. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have Harbor Freight Tools in your area they have both sets of Torx Sockets.
  7. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Torx fasteners are getting very common. I have purchased Torx tools from Home Depot, Lowe's, All Parts Auto Store, and Ace Hardware. Even the cheapy combo tool sets these days usually have a set of Torx Allen style drivers in the mix. The Torx shape is much more robust than the hex shape, and the fasteners are much less prone to rounding edges.

I would even expect Torx fasteners to start appearing on KTM's someday.
  8. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I bet you need them to tighten up those funky gooogles too:lol3
  9. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. The goggles are ingenious - there are no hinges, no fasteners, and they do not hurt your ears or the bridge of your nose. They are supported by your head which was designed for that purpose.

I have no idea why they did not catch on. Probably because they are a bitch to stick in your pocket. and they do not look cool when you prop them on your forehead (to look cool) like you do with ordinary sunglasses. At least I have never sat on them.
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    My '08 KTM had torx/hex combos on practically every fastener.
  11. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need to take the calipers off to change your tire.

I just put a big ole honkin knobby on the front last weekend and there is enough flex to allow you to pass the tread thru w/o removing either caliper even with the tire aired up and ready to go.

Any yes, the newer KTM's are already torx. Makes it nice to set up a tool pack for both ...
  12. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are 100% correct.
  13. mdski

mdski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

If you still have space issues, just remove the two small torx screws that secure the front fender to the lower fork and rotate the caliper away from the wheel. You only need to do one side. That worked for me.

But to answer your question- yes, mine looks like that too.
  14. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am just curious why removing the two fender screws is percieved to be easier than removing the two caliper bolts? It is pretty common on dual rotor front brake bikes to pull the calipers for wheel changes so when I looked at it initially I actually concluded (incorrectly) that the calipers had to come off for a wheel change. The manual supported that impression so I just did it. It is extremely simple. Why fight it? Is it a torque issue?
  15. Dert Gerl

Oddometer:
    You don't have to take either out. The fender is the only thing that keeps the bottom of the fork legs from spinning freely. That fender also has quite a bit of flex to it. When you're ready to take the tire through the calipers just roll the wheel right up to them to were the tread hangs up, grab hold of the calipers or fork legs and pull them away from the tread and roll the tire thru. Super easy. Not that taking the calipers off is difficult, but coming from the dirt bike world I thought it strange that I had to take so much stuff off ... so I didn't. You don't need much pressure to move the calipers apart far enough to get the tire through ... it's plastic.

The end result was a tire change that was easier than dirt bike tires!
  16. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx DG. Good description. I'll try that next time.
  17. Dert Gerl

Oddometer:
    My mind set was that of fixing a flat on the side of a trail and taking the path of least resistance to get rolling again ... or that I'm just lazy! :D
  18. mdski

mdski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just giving an option for those of us without the proper tools. I didn't have the tool to remove the caliper, but did for the fender. I've never had the need for the torx type sockets that the GS has.
    Next time I'll put more muscle into spreading the calipers apart without removing anything. I was being a wuss and didn't want to scratch my pretty new bike.........yet :wink: