F800GS Toolkit needs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by itsatdm, Oct 4, 2008.

1. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Above picture,
    I try not to buy Chinese tools (wrenchs are Tawain, better then Chinese), but I didn't want to pay Snap On prices for stubby wrenches. I tried to break one, well it did break, but it was a whole hell a lot of torque.
    Motorcycle Tools

Torx (Wiha)
    T8, Left control housing
    T15, Grip pins
    T20, Throttle assembly
    T25, Fairings, Control, Body work
    T27, Engine cases
    T30, Muffler mount, Signals, Motor chassis, Rotor
    T40, Triple clamp, Brake pivot, Rear rotor, Brake line *
    T40S, Ignition antenna
    T45, Body, Exhaust mount, Fork axle pinch bolts, Controls *
    T50, Chassis bolts, Kickstand *
    T55, Upper Shock Bolt, Engine mount bolts *

Hex (Wiha)
    2.5mm, Wunderlich adjustable shifter
    3mm, Pezzo levers
    4mm, Alt Rider engine guard, Wunderlich adjustable shifter
    5mm, HDB, Alt Rider engine guard
    6mm, Wolfman racks
    10mm, Oil plug

Bit handle (Wiha)
    Philips bits
    Slotted bits

3/8" Sliding T-handle (Craftsman)
    3" Extension
    6" Extension

Socket 6 pt (Snap On)
    08mm, Airbox
    10mm, Wunderlich adjustable shifter
    13mm, Bash plate
    16mm or 5/8" thin wall, Spark plug

External Torx (Snap On)
    E12, Front Caliper brakes

Wrench, Stubby, combination
    08mm, Brake/Clutch Levers
    09mm,
    10mm,
    11mm, Brake nipples, Ram mount
    12mm, Valve stem
    13mm, Chain tension
    14mm,

Chain tool, Motion Pro PBR
    Chain links

Pliers
    Knipex wrench
    Knipex cobra

Safety wire
    Zip ties
    Blue loctite
    WD-40
    JB Weld Steel Stick
    JB Weld Plastic Weld
    Rubber gloves
    Gorilla tape
    Tow strap
    4oz Techron

Tire levers, Motion Pro BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set
    Axle Wrench, Best Rest, Best-Hex Kit, 17mm Front axle, 24mm Rear axle
    Valve stem core tool fish
    Pump, Best Rest
    Patch kit
    Pressure gauge (Jacket)
    21" Tube
    17" Tube
    Wet ones

BMW Torque
    Front Axle 30Nm 22ft·lb
    Front Axle Pinch Bolts 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Rear Axle 100Nm 74ft·lb
    Front Brake Caliber 38Nm 28ft·lb
    Swingarm to frame 100Nm 74ft·lb
    Chain adjuster locknut 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Rear Shock to frame 100Nm 74ft·lb
    Rear Shock to swingarm 100Nm 74ft·lb
    Handlebar weight to handlebar 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Handlebar clamp, Front first tighten until seated 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Exhaust header to cylinder head 14Nm 10ft·lb
    Exhaust manifold to frame 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Silencer to rear frame 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Shift lever to selector shaft 9Nm 7ft·lb
    Front Spocket 50Nm 37ft·lb
    Rear Sprocket 10Nm + 90 degrees 7ft·lb
    Front Brake Caliber 38Nm 28ft·lb
    Rear Brake Lever 19Nm 14ft·lb
    Windscreen 2.5Nm 2ft·lb
  2. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    Hey 70East- I'm trying to put together a necessary tool kit one that would get me to take a windshield off , front and rear tire , change oil , change muffler , pannier racks basically all basic mod and maintenance things - I've got 2013 F700 , first bike ever! Absolutely no mechanical background so I've got no tools - I just need to know is there a kit I can buy that will have the wrenches , sockets , bits and Torx all in one ? I was told it would have to be a metric one ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a kit, but it is very expensive. http://www.advdesigns.com/f8gsdetokit.html

You could build one way cheaper.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll prolly get crapped on for this but go to harbor freight, get yourself a mechanic type kit for <150 bucks. it SHOULD have everything you'd need (check the parts list to tool lists here) to keep at your house and be self contained in a plastic box. it will also handle aftermarket parts that sometimes use sae hardware. cyclegear has metric tool rolls for around 40 bucks too. neither are fantastic quality, but it gets the job done on the fly.

as suggested above tho, it's cheaper to build a kit, but in your case i think a full set to work with then adding more specialty items might be the way to go.
  5. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Rocket-556

Rocket-556 n00b

Oddometer:
  7. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I'm getting reading for a trip down Africa on my F800GSA and (esp with my aviation background) conscious how the ounces add up.
    Seemed like a lot of unnecessary weight on the Motion Pro for just the 22mm tool needed, so I sawed it in half and smoothed the ends (goes quickly with a good hacksaw). Now it's "Super Light".

Attached Files:

8. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Do you really need it? Mine is banished to the garage and never sees the light of day. I use the plastic end of a ratchet to start the front or rear axle moving. Lube them up with nickel antiseize before assembly and you won't have problems with stuck axles.
    =o&o> and Nickhob like this.
  9. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask that question, but didn't want to sound ignorant. I've only taken my wheel off myself a couple of times (My F800GSA left "home" new 35k miles ago and is still on the road, so have had the wheel removals done at shops and wasn't paying enough attention at the time).

I've not had a problem getting the axle out.
    To tighten the axle nut, I think I just used the pinch bolts on the one side to hold the axle while I tightened the axle nut. Is this not acceptable? (I'm away from my bike currently and can't access it right now). I'm happy to ditch anything that I don't really need to carry over thousands of miles.

Thanks, Clark
    =o&o> likes this.
  10. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:

OK I'll answer your PM here for all to see. The tool weighs 2.5 ounces and you cut it in half. I'm not buying the weight saving argument. You have a GSA, one ounce isn't the straw to break it.

You cannot tighten the axle correctly using the pinch bolts. They are your backup safety measure however in a "pinch", they could work if you understand what is happening.

The front axle goes in right to left and the step on the axle hits the front wheel bearing. When you tighten the nut on the left, it draws the whole wheel left until all clearance is taken up. This "locates" the front wheel within the brake calipers to it's correct position. Torquing the bolt preloads the bearings and spacers keeping everything in line and tight. THEN you tighten the pinch bolts to "safety" it all together.

By tightening a pinch bolt first to hold the axle, you risk having the axle not removing all slack which will pull the forks together (bend), leave a potentially loose wheel if things shift on a bump. Then your rotors may jam on the pads. Then.....

Proper wheel installation is one of those critical tasks and it may prevent bearing failure on the overloaded overlander.

Drill a hole in your front axle tool and zip tie it down low somewhere. There are plenty of other ways to shave weight. I'm not a big fan of improper tools at night in the rain, cause that's when they're needed, just ask Murphy.

Safe trip.
    Pch123 and Trekka273 like this.
  11. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver,
    Thanks for the detailed answer. That’s what I was worried about.

Modified tool going in my kit (1.0 ounces / 27 grams, BTW)
  12. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i understand what your saying but your choice of the word "preloads" is misleading. the F series wheels use grooved ball bearings that do not require preloading and do not get preloaded by the axle nut.
  13. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Have a nice day.
    bakercdb likes this.
  14. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    there is nothing wrong with this method as long as your aware of what the axle, its nut and the pinch bolts do structurally.

as reaver said there is a shoulder on the right side of the axle and between it and the axle nut they pull the wheel onto and clamp it to the left fork leg, aligning it within the front suspension. the pinch bolts clamp down on the axle removing the tolerances of the bore in the fork slider needed in order to remove the axle, as a secondary act they secure the axle from sliding around should the axle nut loosen.

the torque setting for the axle nut is 22 ft.lbs. which can almost be achieved by just tightening the bolt itself, providing the treads are clean and dry.

install the axle and tighten the axle nut as much as you can without the hex tool, you can be assured that the wheel is in position on the leg slider. then by lightly torquing a pinch bolt on the right slider to keep the axle from rotating you can finish tightening the axle bolt. release the previously tightened pinch bolt, give the front end a pump or two and torque the pinch bolts using the designed sequence and specs. no special tool needed.
    RainRider45 likes this.
  15. RainRider45

RainRider45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And how much dose that torque wrench weigh?
    :hide
  16. Kylerbry

Oddometer:
    I own ZERO TOOLS - my end goal is to both change the filter and to take the front and rear tires off of my F700gs 2013 ; can someone suggest a tools kit or tool set that I should purchase - that will have all of the tools I need - Wratchets and Torx does anyone have a package deal I can get ? opposed to purchasing individually
  17. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I saw your other post also. First, from your other post I think you meant to say you wanted to remove your wheels and not your tires. The tires are going to be swapped by Cycle Gear. Just want to call that out as it's an important distinction when asking for help. I'm a cheap bastard so I put together my toolkit from various locations to save money. But, here is a fairly complete and compact kit: http://www.advdesigns.com/f8gsdetokit.html.

Check out these videos:
    Front Wheel -
    Rear Wheel -

Good luck!

Joe
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. Kylerbry

Oddometer:
    Joe Thanks a million man - this was so helpful!
    Motoriley likes this.
  19. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, Between your post and itsatdm's prior post, I've got my shopping list.
  20. KTM Deano

KTM Deano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me what the E8 E10 and E12 fit? Just getting my toolkit together now