1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. vorticity

vorticity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thank you so much for the detailed answer. If at any time you feel bored and you have the cell phone on the bike, please do take a close picture of the gps mount. I currently have it on the handle bar and you are right, it is very distracting to the point of being dangerous!
  2. gtiguy

gtiguy Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

xsf18cdf likes this.
  3. motorduiveltje

motorduiveltje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one will doubt the fact it's large. :jack
    gtiguy likes this.
  4. motorduiveltje

Oddometer:
    On special request:

IMG_2724.JPG IMG_2726.JPG IMG_2727.JPG
    xsf18cdf, vorticity and Digar like this.
  5. Digar

Digar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. motorduiveltje

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. I think this set up will satisfy your needs. As you can see the combination of the TT-screen and the oem-bracket requires a spacer and a longer bolt at both sides. But that is not difficult to realize at all.
  7. Canada Mike

Canada Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

8. vorticity

vorticity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:photogThanks so much! Looks better and better! If you're still not tired with the questions I have more :D. Is this the large (or medium) puig spoiler with the clip-ons? Nice spacesrs there on the screen:) I guess some degree of creativity when in there:photog
  9. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CalSci Tinted Shorty here. It'll be my Winter windscreen here in TX. It does a great job blocking wind and reducing turbulence.
    [​IMG]

Added a NACA scoop on the standard GSA windscreen (thanks CalSci for the inspiration) and I'm pretty happy with that. It'll be a good Spring/Fall windscreen; very smooth wind flow on my helmet and shoulders now.
    [​IMG]
  10. motorduiveltje

Oddometer:
    I will send you the invoice for the supplied technical consultancy. :clap

This is the link to the spoiler: http://www.bs-motoparts.com/nl/wind...schermen-clip-on-6320-helder-i674-25284-0.htm
  11. mosquitofromyul

mosquitofromyul n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer.
    Finally I didn't get the TT screen, so I will adapt a GSA windscreen on my GS.
    Then I will probably ad the spoiler too...
  12. vorticity

vorticity Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. hschisler

hschisler Whatever

Oddometer:
    On a somewhat-related note, as I plow through the many pages of text and photos in this discussion I'm really surprised that there aren't many more people who use mirror extenders. I've had my F650GS about 3 weeks, ridden it very little, but getting those mirrors out and up was the first thing I did. I think so far I have seen 1 photo of a bike with mirror extenders on it.

Back to the windscreen discussion -- which has been very helpful, BTW. The BMW Tall screen on my GS is useless for me, and I will never/rarely be off-road so I'm not concerned about a shorter screen or adjustability.
  14. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I ride my '09 F800GS in all sorts of conditions. week-long trips, weekends, road, trail, hills, mud, water, dust, rock, city (yuk!) and countryside. Just did 20+ water crossings yesterday w 3 other riders as an example. Not once have I thought it was necessary for mirror extenders. I think they're pretty good, actually. So...I'm not surprised about the lack of mirror-talk at all.
  15. hschisler

hschisler Whatever

Oddometer:
    OK, just finished reading/skimming through all 72 pages (at this point) of this thread. Lots of good info, but still it seems to be a toss-up as to what the "right" windscreen is going to be for anybody, as has been mentioned -- lots of variables and preferences. So I guess I'll check through the Flea Market for some of the screens on my list and start working from there. This could be (will be) expensive.

<edit>Just placed an order for a CalSci wind screen (XL, per their recommendation). I'll take the advice I've read here: wrap it up in plastic wrap (AKA Saran Wrap) while it's mounted, in order to keep it in pristine condition. Ride several miles. If not satisified, return for refund. This may or may not be the final windscreen for me on my F650GS but at least it gets the ball rolling.
    Stymitshinks likes this.
  16. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    What tool did you use to cut it?
  17. DFWTruman

DFWTruman FNG

Oddometer:
    So, what'd you decide on the CalSci?
  18. hschisler

hschisler Whatever

Oddometer:
    I received the CalSci windscreen, installed it and went on a short ride. It was instantly better than the stock screen. I also moved the CalSci to the middle of its three positions. That seemed to be incrementally better. But, because winter is here (ice, snow, cold) and because I work out of town it's been difficult to get a sufficiently-long ride, resulting in a final read on it. I'm having a fitment problem and I'm working with CalSci on it; we don't know if it's a problem with the way the hand guards are installed or something else. The right hand guard hits the windscreen; the left one does not.

Once the fitment issue is resolved I need to go on a longer ride to see if it's good for the long term.
  19. DFWTruman

DFWTruman FNG

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the update. Sounds promising; and I look forward to hearing more. Please let me know if you want to get rid of the touring screen.
  20. dorp

dorp n00b

Oddometer:
    Very useful set! I see you have some "stability system" - mean holder. The windshield holder is original BMW part from touring windscreen, right? Did you drill the holes in TT windscreen specially for bmw holder? Have you any vibration at high speed or set is stable?