F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum. I ran that set up before on my 800GS and yes you drill holes into the TT screen and call it a day. less vibrations like that and works like a charm. only went onto another set up because I trashed it during a rally. that frame bent like a quire boy.
  2. tikkeltokkel

tikkeltokkel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So that is the bmw touring screen and the wundelich deflector? ... I have both but havent tried the combo together .... How tall are you ? ... Im almost 6'2" ...
  3. motorduiveltje

motorduiveltje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is the original windshield holder/bracket of the BMW touring screen. That screen is really bad so I sold it and kept the bracket to mount the GPS. Vibrations are limited, most of them occur at idle speed. And yes I drilled two extra holes in the screen what is not really diffcult nor does it take much time.
  4. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "This blog is open to invited readers only". Can you change the settings to public? I remember your windscreen from a year back, that was a great kit you made.
  6. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    got fixed -me thinks- try again please
    sarathmenon likes this.
  7. Pura Vida

Pura Vida n00b

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of your build!
    It is nicer than any of the commercially available options that I've seen - and from your tests, it sounds like it works better too...
    The problem now, is that I want one!
    Any chance you'd want to build me one?
    I don't think I have it in me to try doing it myself - I'm pretty positive that my results wouldn't be anywhere near as polished as yours!!
  8. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the BMW design angst that I read in that blog. It gave me a good chuckle.

The reality is I haven't found a screen that "works" yet. Some work better than others. Not one has ever left me feeling "Yep, that's the one".

My current screen kicks the airflow up into my forehead. I can ride without glasses or visor and not get bugs in my eyes...mostly. The one exception to that rule happened to be the size of a golf ball and covered in rose thorns, and hit me at about 140kph, right in the eye socket...

That hurt.

It brought tears to my eye. Makes me blink just thinking about it.

The problem for me is the screen I have (Calsci or whatever they're called...I forget) is huge, and heavy, and rough roads cause it to shake and it shakes the extended dash with it. Like crazy. Like...I'm worried about eventual fatigue failure type shaking.

I'm thinking about the frame that the later model GSA'a use. Making something that braces from a point on the main frame.

Has anyone done similar?
  9. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am honored, but... since we are in directly opposite sides of a really big pond -plus a continent, Europe- I guess it wouldn't come cheap to you (around 250 euros build + shipping) and it would be a good idea to either try building something like it or try a Mirage setup. After all Britannia Composites is in Canada and would cost a lot less to get a fairing from them than something that came all the way from Greece. But I 'm superhappy you like my build! :happay
  10. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This the bike I bought last month. It's a 2010 BMW F650GS twin but I know this is not the stock screen. Maybe one of you can guide me if this is the stock screen for the 700 or the 800.

Thought this might be the best thread to show off the screen and ask this noob question.

Zee
    2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
    2010 BMW F650GS
  11. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. What brand are the rear side racks? Can we get the other side view?
  12. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

@Barbadi It came with slim haversack like side bags. Not using the bags or the racks and would gladly trade if you have other bags and rack that I might like better.

Zee
    2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
    2010 BMW F650GS
  13. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have anything back there, but thanx
  14. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:

So does anyone know what screen this is? It measures 10" from the higher headlight to the top most part.
  15. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it seems like the original Bmw screen of the f 800 gs.
  16. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like the stock screen from the F800GS, the one everyone loves to hate.
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    otherwise there still is the new owner stupid question thread ;) but yeah what the others said.
  18. John2

John2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1664.JPG

I personally like the Madstad. I have only had the Mirage and the Madstad and I realize, I like to see my front tire. I understand the look ahead piece, but in foreign lands with unknown obstacles at night, the difference is important to me.

The side pieces are in my luggage for the cold days when I like the frozen air to be deflected. The screen is far from perfect and although I have not tried every screen, I think the design of the f800gs is a limiting factor. To really get a tunnel of still air, the gap bw the plastic battery cover and the handlebars needs to be reduced. So far I have possibly 800 kilometers or more of rocky bouncy roads and the screen is fine. I did lose one of the adjustment screws and it is holding up fine with one. until I replace the other. I like the adjustability for long travel as the screen can almost go vertical for slow cruising in bad weather, and when using the 800cc engine just angle back. Easy on the fly.
    xsf18cdf likes this.
  19. Pura Vida

Pura Vida n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is a fairly long distance.
    Maybe I will try the Mirage 2, and see what I think of it. Somehow yours just seems like it 'fits' the look of the bike best. I feel like the Mirage 2 is a little too sporty or something for my taste...
    Oh well, if it comes down to it, I've always wanted to visit Greece!!
    Thanks for the response!
  20. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are welcome! If you decide to go for a built of your own and need any help message me.