F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just listed a BMW touring screen for sale here in the flea market. This is the screen only, so you would need to order the support bar, p/n 77 33 8 531 600. No longer have the 800, so I don't need it anymore. Hope it can help someone here. Mods, if it is against policy to post this here, please delete
  2. Pura Vida

Pura Vida n00b

Oddometer:
    Will do! I'll see if I can muster the courage to attempt such an undertaking!
  3. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you get past the resin/fabric laying everything else is pretty much hack and saw. And you don't have to make it fully adjustable by bolts etc on the first try.
  4. DustySprocket

DustySprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had the Puig screen on my GSA for almost a year. Awesome, wearing my Aria X3 peek helmet up to 160 km with no issue. Top part can be adjusted up / down to suite individual preferences.

Side winds are a different story...

It really gives the bike a "presence" whilst being very functional.

I'm sure a bracket can be procured / manufactured for the "normal" 800GS.
    IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0336.jpg
    xsf18cdf likes this.
  5. Buckledspore

Buckledspore n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1670.JPG

Attached Files:

xsf18cdf likes this.
  6. Met n GS

Met n GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone here fitted the standard f800gsa screen to the f800gs???

Im talking about this one.... BMW-F800GS-Adventure-studio-10.jpg
    xsf18cdf likes this.
  7. thetrux

thetrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. If you search through this thread you will find at least one that has done it. It requires the support bar in addition to the screen. I do not recall if any special modifications were required.
  8. Met n GS

Oddometer:
    theres too much happening here, ive read from page 59 where it seems to start... as well as from the front

i know its tough to give a answer for what screen works best for what person in terms of their physical size,type of helmet(with peak/without)-and some say you will always get buffeting with peak helmets..., what seat they have etc.,

i would just like a solution that doesnt cost a arm and a leg. if there is such a solution please share it. else i must learn to live with it.

some people say no screen-some say standard screen-some say bmw touring screen/various brands such as the touratech one or kappa/givi/puig/wunderlich/mra vario-the list goes on and on. Then there are different variations where people ad the spoilers to these screens...

so which ones would it be?that are even worth considering?
    It seems like this is the most difficult accessory to purchase for the bike.

and im not buying a different bike(like ive seen some people do out of what seems to be frustration) i love the f800gs way too much
  9. thetrux

thetrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the Adventure setup will be cheap factoring in all the parts.

I've tried the F800GS factory screen and a Puig that is a few inches taller. The Puig is better but I found if there's breeze it's almost as bad as the factory. Contemplating the Britannia Composite Mirage 2 now but I too was hoping for a cheaper solution.
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the approach I'm going to take with mine. I ordered a givi screen for, non adjustable, nothing fancy, just a straight up touring screen. If that doesn't do the trick I'm not going to bother dicking around with screen after screen and I'm going to be done with it and order a d3. I wish there was a stand alone adjustable bracket like there is for the g650 for these bikes.
  11. thetrux

thetrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my my GT version on and test-riding it out :pynd

[​IMG]
  13. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:

@Barbadi - is that what this shield is called? "GT version" ????

Zee
    2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
    2010 BMW F650GS
  14. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Met n GS

Oddometer:
    looks quite good:thumb
    if you ever come to south africa bring some with, i for sure think it looks good and works... from what ive read...how is it with a helmet that has a peak? im 1.77m tall or so....so that part should work
  16. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Glad you liked it.

I can't say. So far everything that I write and post about the subject is based on my personal experience -or controlled tryouts by guys I know and trust- and since I don't have a beaked helmet (and I need 5 cm to get to 177 cm height) I can't say for sure. Beaks are difficult in high speeds. I used to ride with beak helmet but I never went back on it since I got my first big bike. Over 120 klm/h it was pointless with my screenless -back then- bike. And from what I read not all beak helmets are equal aerodynamical wise, which makes it even harder to guess.
  17. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I am still liking my Touratech Desierto set-up. In the warmer months I run it without the windscreen. Very versatile.
  18. oldswimr

oldswimr Flatlander

Oddometer:
    2009 f800GS. Moose racing +4. Better than OEM, but still some helmet buffeting. I'm 5'10", 30" inseam. Using the stock seat, but I just sent a Corbin Canyon for a nose job, should drop me another inch, it might make a little difference. It vibrates, but after the first day I didn't notice it anymore. Great price for what you get. From Rezvilla, received in two days.
  19. ronsav

ronsav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am contemplating removing my stock screen and be done with buffeting, will this cause any issues with the gauge cluster or is it sufficiently water and element proof?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    zero war likes this.
  20. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why risk it? Even a small branch could reap the instrument setup off. Either cut your screen lower or get a smaller screen from a f 650/700 gs used and bolt it right on.