F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    BMW F8GS (2015) with MIRAGE 2 by http://www.britanniacomposites.com works brilliant and really like the GPS mounting option (instrument dashboard), very clean & neat setup...

[​IMG]
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i order the mirage 2 yesterday. neither the givi screen or the powerbronze worked well for me, 6' with a 32" inseam.
  3. Met n GS

Met n GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    let us know if that works out
  4. thetrux

thetrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm the same height and inseam so I'd like to know also.
  5. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6', 32" inseam, use a BMW comfort seat and have a Mirage 2 on my 2012 800GS.

Stock was shit so got the BMW touring screen which was even shittier (wind right in to my neck.....)

[​IMG]

Then about 2 yrs ago I got the Mirage 2. I was mainly using a Shoei Neotec and found the sweet spot for the screen height for motorway riding. Minimal buffeting but still pretty noisy and wind getting round the screen to hit my shoulders (When buying I didn't really expect it to cover that part of me though). Also in crosswinds the screen acts as a f-cking spinnaker in the higher positions...... Can really be hairy at times.

Then last year I bought a Caberg Tourmax and fiddled around with the screen height as I was getting buffeting on the motorway. Initially I found sweet spot but then lowered it for some offroad and now for the life of me I can NOT find that sweet spot again. I have spent hours playing with heights and just can NOT get it back. Either using my Caberg or the Shoei... So now I just keep it in the lowest position which is fine for most of my riding as I stay off the motorway as much as possible but it still pisses me off that I can't get it back to how it was.

I am a big fan of the GPS mount and where it positions it BUT once again at 6ft I really had to put my Garmin as high up as possible on the dash (so as to not obscure the speedo) so much so that the top bolts go through the front of the fairing and are not hidden behind it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would I buy it again?
    Well when I first got it I was really really happy with it and think I might have been justifying any defects there might have been due to the amount of money I spent on it (pretty sure I gave it a 10/10 somewhere in PU).
    But now after having owned it a few years I'm not so sure as it's a lot of money and the fit and finish on mine was not up to the price tag, also no refund if it doesn't work.
    Loutre likes this.
  6. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I have the Mirage 2 and it has worked pretty good for me. I'm going to order a new upper screen as the first one is scratched up. The only problem with the Mirage is that you have to remove it to replace a light bulb. Ask me how I know...
  7. Nickhob

Oddometer:
    I've changed both high and low beam bulbs with my Mirage on and yep it's a tighter fit and fiddlier (not quite sure that's a word :-) ) but for me was doable (once on the side of the road in a snow storm)
  8. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    same here, couldn't be bothered to unscrew the screen and do it with it in place. pretty much share your final opinon Nick on the mirage but we already talked about that last summer I think. What I did for my GPS mount and the two upper bolts: Zip ties. Works like a charm. going to take a pic to show you
    Nickhob likes this.
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    IMG_20160626_104053.jpg
    Nickhob likes this.
  10. Nickhob

Oddometer:
    I like that :clap:clap
    Loutre likes this.
  11. Loutre

Oddometer:
    easy on and off as well =) just remember to keep the rubber spacer in between. held up without even moving or vibrating for 20k kms =)
    Nickhob likes this.
  12. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    hmm. I will have another look. It's the main headlight that just went out. Might need some extra long needle nose for that job
  13. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    amyroukai likes this.
  14. ReddySan

ReddySan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Is the supporting bracket/brace on the original BMW touring windshield the same as the one found in the GSA.
    If I were to purchase just the GSA shield, will it work with my current touring brace?

Cheers guys
  15. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    Nope. The GSA windshield brace is a completely different animal than the BMW touring windshield ditto. If I upgrade to the GSA windshield on my 2010 F800GS it would require ordering both the GSA brace, needed extra bolts and either drilling mounting holes in the light assembly support bracket or ordering a new GSA main light/instrument panel brace.

Fully doable, though expensive ;-)
    ReddySan likes this.
  16. tikkeltokkel

tikkeltokkel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Screen , it is quite modified , with a wunderlich deflector IMG_0852-2.jpg
    Boneage and diegosaenz like this.
  17. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have the bmw touring screen on my 2009 f800gs, and it works ok, but lots of wind noise and some buffetting on my shoulders, I am considering either bmw GSA screen or the Puig for the GSA. Do I need the bracket from the GSA or will the already touring bracket I have be enough? which screen do you think might help the shoulders more?
  18. stege

stege Wonderer

Oddometer:

Dear sir, can you please point me to the exact Wunderlich part number for this screen? I cant seem to find it. Thanks so much!
  19. Marius BMW

Marius BMW We're off to never never land...

Oddometer:
    For daily rides I use a GSA windscreen, for ofroad trials - ''rally'' chopped stock one. View attachment 650017

Attached Files:

20. tikkeltokkel

tikkeltokkel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt think a GSA screen fitted a normal 800. I see yours is the 2012, perhaps its because mine is a 2010. I love the GSA screen