F800GS- TT Zega Cases or Caribou?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Griz, Dec 4, 2008.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which would you guys recommend? And Why?
  2. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    I've heard the Zegas make a weird "clunking" sound. Probably the mounts are loose internally and the whole set up is prone to grenading at any time.

:hide

I've got the Varios on order, really just cause I needed something and had to put it in with the finance pool. Otherwise I'd seriously consider the Caribou set up. The Zegas would be about the last of the aluminum panniers I'd consider. Rather go with Metal Mule or Happy Trail (to cover the price spectrum).

I'll be interested to see how long it takes Dirt Bagz to come up with a mount---I traveled through Mexico and Guatemala with their soft bags and it was never a problem.
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Got the 36L Caribous on some removable SW-Motech mounts myself. Linkee and Linkee. Very happy with them so far. The plastic cases won't get warped in a crash (though the SW-Motech mounts probably will), so they'll stay water tight and dust proof. They're lockable, narrower than the Zegas, but don't have that cool industrial look. De Gustibus non disputatum est.

David
  4. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Caribous look really good. Durable, watertight. And the mounting frame is TIG welded. Strong.

I do like the industrial look of bare aluminum, but the cost to effectiveness ratio of the Caribous is better I think. $770 for the whole setup right?

Does anyone have any experience with how those pelican cases hold up to the sunlight and heat?

Thanks fellas.
  5. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    The Caribous are rock solid. My buddy has had them on his DL1000 for years and swears by them. I had the Caribou rear case on my KLR and I'll be getting the sides on my GS when I can.

Sun, dirt, grime, they take whatever you can deal them.
  6. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    while i was in high school (not so long ago, i'm 25) I worked at a dive shop and sold pelican cases. they're as durable as plastic cases can get, and totally waterproof. you can drive a small truck over them, throw them out of second story windows, etc.... being 16 and determined to test their claims, i can assure that they're telling the truth.
  7. jstcrashnthru

jstcrashnthru Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    I have the Caribou's on my Vee and they are the best. :D
  8. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Moto-sport panniers has a mount that holds either their aluminum boxes or their aluminum backed Yukon II soft bags. Don' think they have a Dirt Bagz setup yet. I've got the Rangers (same mount as Dirt Bagz, slightly larger bag) on my DR-Z and love 'em.
  9. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    I've heard that in a crash you will end up with a tin can vs a scrapped up pelican. The aluminum ones do not crash well at all because they will get dented and trying to remove the dent then only makes things worst. So unless you are 110% sure that the bike won't go down then the pelicans are the better choice. Plus, price wise you get to save a couple hundred or more, which of course means more money to farkle the bike in other ways.
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Not on your list, but the Happy Trails are great on my 800.
    The pictures on their website doesn't do them justice.
    They were in stock, where as the other brands were back ordered forever.
    At $700, you can buy a lot of other goodies over the TT's.
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Thanks, everyone. I'm leaning towards the Caribous I think. Good point that if you go down, you get scraped plastic instead of dented or cracked aluminum. My buddy has Happy Trails panniers on his KLR. He went down once (not very hard) and they cracked along the corners. The design flaw of the Happy Trails is that they are welded along the corners. TT Zega cases are one entire piece of aluminum with rounded corners. No welds. So they only dent, which you can pound out with a good sized rock. But for me the TT Zegas are too expensive.
  12. thelouv

thelouv ocd

Oddometer:
    Spoof is funny!
  13. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    Gotta go with the Caribous. I haven't heard anything good about many aluminum cases fairing well after a get-off and Pelicans are pretty hard-core. I've been using 'em on the job for years (US Navy).

-Rob
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can say that again!

:hide

Edit: "clunk"!
  16. Airbornexts912

Airbornexts912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a full set of carabou cases on my f800gs and it is a great set up looks good n tuff.
  17. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Frozen Rider

Oddometer:
    PICS! Good grief man! :deal
  18. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm pretty much dead set on the Caribous now. Been riding my new F800GS a lot even though it's been cold as hell (highs of 20 degrees F). But now it's snowing....:waysad This bike rides like a dream though!
  19. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about Jesse bags? They're pricey, but they fit close to the bike and, from what I've heard, hold up well.
  20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. I'll check 'em out.:thumb