1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

F800GS Valve Adjusting step by step.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Camel ADV, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys.... I checked the valves on the 800 today... Intake valves look on the high or a little over the high range. I don't have a 27mm feeler. The 25mm goes in freely... and the 28 goes in though it's tight. The 30mm feeler wouldn't go in.

I'm surprised... Since they tend to tighten, should I just leave it at that and re-check later? That would be my guess but just want to check...

(The exhaust valves are around 29-30... one is at 33. Since they're in spec I think I'll leave them alone for now)

Thanks
    ontrip likes this.
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes leave them alone. At one time factory spec was higher clearance and as you say they tend to tighten up slowly.
  3. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks! So I'll double check my measurements today and probably just close everything up and re-check them at the end of the season. :)
  4. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Mine haven't changed in 20,000 km's. We'll see what happens at 80,000 kms on clock.
  5. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys.....

I really need some help here... I completed the job, made sure everything was fine... started the bike... and it runs like shit. Really... It starts... but can keep running on it's own for long... RPM is erratic... and it shuts down. No weirdo noises... just.... a crappy running engine. Like it's miss-firing like hell or running on a single cylinder. So I went back... retraced everything.... Re-removed the coils, reseated them.... re-checked and re-checked again all cables, hoses.... everything. Tried again... And no... It still runs like crap.

Just to be clear, I just checked the clearance, and since they are in spec, I closed everything up. So this can't be a timing issue.

So I'm completely lost... I can't figure it out. I thought maybe a coil was not seated properly. Or a sensor or a hose not connected. But no. I went through the whole thing 10 times already. The only connector that isn't connected to anything is one just under the throttle body on the same harness as the coolant-temperature sensor... there's a second connector that goes nowhere. I don't remember disconnecting it. It's just sitting there in a very un-BMW way, not even protected from the weather... so.... I tried to look around and man, I spent an hour or two around this bike looking for what could be wrong... and I can't find where this plug should go... Maybe it's supposed to be there, but if it's the case... it's weird... Here's the thing:

[​IMG]

You can see the coolant-temp sensor on the left... and the mysterious connector in the middle... Can some of you guys can check where this thing is supposed to go, if it's supposed to go somewhere?

If it's not that.... then I don't know... Maybe I did something stupid when I re-installed the coils... I installed them with the connector pointing toward the front. Realizing my stupid mistake (wish I could say I was drunk but no, I'm just stupid), I just turned them 180 degrees "in place". Maybe I broke one of them be twisting them like that? Is there a way to test them to be sure they are fine? I searched but can't find anything about testing these types of coils... Maybe I'm not using the appropriate words...

If not that... then what else? Any idea what I should look for? As you can see I'm desperate and would really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot guys... :cry

P.S. and ho BTW I didn't remove the spark plugs for the job. And of course the bike was running just fine before all this...
  6. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok.... so, a little update.... I went back to it, redone the whole thing once more (without removing the valve cover of course)...... and.... for some reason.... it runs fine now... :clap

No idea what it was though...

I'm still curious about the mysterious connector though. Was it a sensor that was in a previous version of the 800, and it's now removed but they are still using the same wiring harness??

And another trivia... What is this (the rubber thingy below the screwdriver bit)?

[​IMG]

It fell from one of the side panels... It's hollow, like something that would cover wires or something. But I looked around and I don't see any place it would belong.... Any idea?

Today was supposed to be THE day, everything was supposed to run fine by noon and then I was to ride test the bike, and have a blast (first ride of the season)... It was so nice outside... But no... 7 pm and I'm still at it, looking at a weird rubber thingy.... :pep
  7. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Almost looks like the breather off of the headlight assembly or a vacuum line connector.
  8. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headlight drain?
  9. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'll have a look at the headlight assembly tomorrow... Thanks!
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    ontrip likes this.
  11. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that was it! Never noticed it before. Thanks guys! :)
  12. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    You not in the US? I believe the disconnected connector would go to the charcoal cannister. I have one also. That device is not installed in Canada.

All's well that ends well! I had a stick coil go, it wasn't fun to diagnose.
  13. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, makes sense. No, I'm not in the US... Canada... I'm surprised they didn't even bother to put a plastic protector over it, just to protect it from like..... maybe... water?? The connector just sits there. I suppose it's not "live" and therefore probably not an issue but still... it's weird...
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I agree ... it's silly to leave it uncapped if for no other reason than the one you first sighted ...
    "Awwwwwwwwwwww crap ... WTF did I forget to plug back in... " :photog
  15. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does anyone check valves when the nearest dealership where shims are available is over an hour away? Bank on a couple days job and have another vehicle handy?
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Or buy a two-zillion dollar dealer shim kit :hmmmmm

I have a Toyota Supra that has DOHCs and uses shim washers.
    Some guys got together and started a shim kit based on what came out of a couple of destroyed engines.
    We mail it back and forth across the country to whoever needs it next ... the two rules being:
    1) when you mail it to the next person it has to have as many shims in it or more than when you got it
    2) you only keep it for a two weeks max...............

After having the kit in service for about a year it ended up being pretty complete, but still not fool proof.............

Might be an idea for this forum ..............
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    gunna bump this thread because it's the most comprehensive one.
    just did my 12k check everything was within spec, going to be putting it back together tonight or tomorrow. i have a new gasket and bolts (since i wasn't sure if it currently had old style bolts, or new ('09 but had new style bolts)) and permatex ultra black ready to go. shop manual has only the left half receiving rtv, what's roughly the diameter of the rtv bead ? and no rtv on the top of the gasket to the cover correct ?
  18. Canada Mike

Canada Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sir. Permatex only on riders left side applied to the metal block, nothing applied to the gasket. I used paper towel and a little alcohol to prep the surface first. Do 3-4 dry runs with no sealant to figure out the best way to align the cover.

Bead should be about an 1/8 th or so and should go down into the two lobes as well. You can see a little of the grey permatex in the picture.

Good luck.
    F5940DE3-4CEF-4838-8D6B-572F05C0E0AF.jpeg
    ontrip likes this.
  19. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^^
  20. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    I dig this idea. "Oil Caps" are a pain in the ass to get from the dealer everytime I do this. This is the only maintenance thing I don't look forward to quality beer time in the barn.