F800GS Valve Adjusting step by step.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Camel ADV, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I would leave it be. Others may have different views.
  2. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. I agree. Not worth messing around in there. I'll just close it up, replace the spark plugs and try to figure out what's wrong with this thing. My next suspect is the exhaust that I replaced 2 years ago with a Yoshimura, maybe something is rattling in there. I noticed it makes some "new" not so good noises, although I doubt it would make the whole bike vibrate... :hmmmmm Still, I'll put back the stock exhaust. Otherwise, I don't know. I had a look on the forum for vibration issues and didn't find much. :(
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Check all the motor mounts.

QUOTE="Flopix, post: 37635962, member: 373095"]Thanks again. I agree. Not worth messing around in there. I'll just close it up, replace the spark plugs and try to figure out what's wrong with this thing. My next suspect is the exhaust that I replaced 2 years ago with a Yoshimura, maybe something is rattling in there. I noticed it makes some "new" not so good noises, although I doubt it would make the whole bike vibrate... :hmmmmm Still, I'll put back the stock exhaust. Otherwise, I don't know. I had a look on the forum for vibration issues and didn't find much. :([/QUOTE]
  4. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Riley. I did check them visually when this issue started, very quickly though, everything looked fine, but I'll have a second look!
  5. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so... This has nothing to do with valves directly, but indirectly yes. Am I the only one having troubles with the throttle cable routing? And also, am I the only one ending up with a crappy running engine every time I lift the air box?? This is very frustrating...

So the "long" story is, last year I had issues with my throttle all summer. It felt weird and not like before. That was after going in to check the valve train. So last weekend I decided to remove the air box to check it. I noted the throttle cable was not correctly routed, and it was stuck under the front of the air box. So I routed it to the side with the clutch cable, with the supplied rubber strap. I put everything back together and started the bike. It runs like sh*t, like on a cylinder and a half, and the throttle is even worse than before, it's "sticky" with rev's going up and down when turning the handle bar, when close to full lock. There's also a weird smell and some smoke coming out of the front. So, I stopped everything. Went back in, everything looked "normal" and is where it's supposed to be. The throttle cable still doesn't look right though.

So, what am I doing wrong? What can explain my engine running like that? What is the correct way to route the throttle cable? Heeeeelppp!!! :baldy:hung:pep

EDIT: here'a pic of how my throttle cable is routed:

20200425_145613.jpg
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what to say to assist but for what it's worth here is a reference photo that I took when I removed the airbox on my wife's F650GS. I didn't have any issues upon reassembly. Can't see how yours differs.
    20161104_123421.jpg
  7. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top photo cable goes through a cable tie, bottom photo cable does not go through cable tie. don't know which one is right but there is a difference
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  8. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, your cable isn't routed with the clutch cable through the cable tie. And looking at the BMW service manual, it shouldn't. Yours is right, it's wrong on my bike. The weird thing is, it was routed correctly before, and something was still wrong with how the throttle felt. It was a bit sticky and revs would go up when the handle bar was in full lock to the left. I had to adjust the play, but then it felt like I had to twist the throttle a bit more to get some power, made the bike feels sluggish. I'll have to double and triple check everything again, and it still doesn't explain how rough my idle was. It felt like a coil pack was not in fully or something but I can't see anything wrong there. :baldy
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Ok ... I've been drinking .... CV-resistance ya know...

full disclaimer:
    I am a dumbass taking my advice could result in stupid shit happening.
    but if you are diving back in there, here are some really random thoughts:

• Is there at least a hair of freeplay in the throttle cable at left & right handlebar clock - adjust on cable near grip
    • Clean throttle bodies with TB cleaner
    • on mine (2009) IIRC there are three stupid hoses that connect to the bottom of the air box
      makre sure the nipples on your box intact and are all three hoses connected.
    • Clean the idle air control solenoid see:
      http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ulling-clutch-in.1041303/page-2#post-29759078
    • make sure the rubber boots between air box and TB are not folded back
    • check the air filter make sure it's not fuckered ... some do not have proper wire mesh reinforcement
    • While apart .. .see if throttle cam "snaps" back cleanly to idle with cable DISconnected
    • If so... see if throttle cam "snaps" back cleanly to idle with cable CONnected
    Flopix likes this.
  10. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left the bike in the garage with the air box removed. So thanks for the list, I'll go through it... As for the drinking part, I'm applying the same CV-resistance technique... :-)
  11. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going off memory here and it's been awhile, but do you see how there are two cams for the throttle cable to attach to at the throttle bodies? I think you may be on the wrong one, the one that is used for the power restricted versions to limit throttle response and opening. I think you're supposed to be on the smaller cam just to the left on the one you're connected to. Using the wrong one without the right mounting bracket will also screw up the angle the cable comes in at where it's exposed and make for a heavy throttle feel that doesn't return smoothly.
  12. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely right!!! Here's the diagram from the service manual:

upload_2020-4-28_8-2-27.png

The cable is on the wrong cam! I never noticed there were 2 of them!! :baldy

Thanks so much!! :beer
    Coach Z and TonyKZ1 like this.
  13. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to help. Like I said, it's been a few years since I did mine and since I sold the bike a few months back I couldn't go check it in the garage, but I still had a hunch that was it.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  14. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks again, really. Turns out I ran the bike like this last year, for the entire season! :pep
  15. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very well spotted. Stuff like that can be hard to figure out!
    Flopix likes this.
  16. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't even imagine how annoying that would have been. You're going think you're on a completely new bike now. If you have a GS911 or Motoscan, make sure to reset all the adaptations so you're starting fresh.
    JRWooden likes this.
  17. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I don't have access to any of these. I guess the ECU will re-adapt itself after some time...?
  18. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beyond my realm of expertise. It believe it will get there, I just don't know what impact riding it like that would have had and how long it will take to normalize. Maybe time to consider picking one up? If you're doing your own work, it will make trouble shooting so much easier. For example, you'd have found right away that you weren't reaching full throttle and been able to track the issue sooner.
    Flopix likes this.
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    that's really interesting ... the early models only have one cam ... (at least my 2009 USA model only has one cam)
    to change the output you apparently had to swap cams....
    Much more clever to just re-thread the cable but ... there is a downside... :lol2

nice work there @rcb78
  20. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Downside you say? :photog

Honestly I don't even know since when the bike is like this. I went to the garage tonight to fix my mistake, and I don't remember installing the throttle on the correct cam, ever. It just felt like I was doing this for the first time. I've checked the valve clearance 2 years ago for the first time. I don't remember if the bike felt any different at that time. I do remember it felt different last year. So... Maybe I did re-install it correctly the first time, and I just don't remember doing it. Then, maybe not.

I wonder how many made the same mistake and never noticed it, or like me convinced themselves it's just in their heads...