F800GS vs. 990 ADV or enduro

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by garfield, Dec 13, 2008.

1. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, this guy said there is "no question that" the KTM is in a league of its own. He must be an authority.
  3. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I see some 800GS's going over a 2' log without flattening their pipes, or maybe even winning some offroad races, I'll change my opinion about it not being as dirt worthy. Geezus, guys are complaining about the front end clunking on the road !
  4. danceswithdeer

danceswithdeer Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I just paid $11,800 OTD for an '08 990 with heated grips...last I heard KTMhutt in ND also had a black one for 11,800 OTD; I bought somewhere else because I wanted orange, so there still might be a low cost black one out there. The closest BMW dealer wouldn't budge off of $12,500 for the F800GS...then he wanted to add some fees.
  5. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the news about the G650 engine has been out for a while. I was just trying to keep the "rumors" straight around here. As Mark Twain said: "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

David
  7. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    quoted from your link...
    "Although developed by BMW, the 449cc single-cylinder DOHC four-stroke engine powering the model is manufactured by KYMCO"

Now if you think that you have purchased anything in this world that was not manufactured by someone else and then assembled by a different party you are sadly lost. Its called OUTSOURCING. Hmmm German engineering with low cost manufacturing, big deal.

You better throw away any electronics that you own since you obviously have been mislead there too.... :huh
  8. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Francis. Lets go back to the KTM vs. F800GS shall we.

I think we all know none of us are going to race these things and very few of us are going to go over logs with them (and when we do we usually crash). Fact is these are both great bikes. One more street, one more dirt, both a lot of fun. I would submit that if you cant have fun on both of these bikes then you can't have fun on any bike.

Get the one that makes you heart go pitter patter.

Steve
  9. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    990r , now that is the bike to get. 120 horse dirt bike yea baby
  10. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... looks pretty good off road wise to me!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiaO80MRvGg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiaO80MRvGg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:
    <div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4xya4" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4xya4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4xya4">Bmw F800GS</a></b><br /><i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/infomotori">infomotori</a></i></div>
  12. The Griz

Oddometer:
    You're confusing which year these bikes are. Yes, right now you could walk OTD with a 2008 990Adv for $11,800, because right now that's considered last years model. If you tried walking out the door with the new 2009 990ADV R, you'd be paying MSRP, which is $14,480, before TTL. The BMW F800GS is a 2009. Hence, you're going to pay 2009 MSRP, which for me was $11,500 with heated grips, OBC, and center stand. Model year makes a huge difference. So, point being, a 2009 BMW F800GS is a good $2000 cheaper than a 2009 KTM 990 Adventure R.

And 2008 KTM 990 adv and 990 adv S prices are going to continue to drop, beings they aren't making them any more, and the 2009 990 adv and 990 adv R is coming.

P.S. If I want to ride over logs, I'll get a KLX 450 or something. Or something even smaller, like a 250 or 125. The F800GS and KTM 990 Adv are not meant for this.
  13. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've been over logs with mine. Not 2' logs mind you, but a good 9"-10".
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    :thumb:super I'd like to see a 990Adv go over a 2-foot diameter log. Especially since it has less ground clearance than the F800GS. THey both wouldn't be able to! (And yes, I measured at the dealers when considering buying, I'm a geek.)
  15. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM suits me better, at this moment. The bike meets all my needs, and has been 100% reliable. I recognize the BMW (s) are great bikes as well. I don't need to validate my choice by trashing another brand by re-hashing the same old drivel about why the other guy's bike is junk.

That being said, I have to say this thread has lasted the longest of ANY I have ever seen that mentioned KTM vs BMW in the title without turning into a mess of insults, half-truths lies, rumors, and innuendo.

Amazing. A somewhat civil internet thread between BMW and KTM guys.

PS: Good to hear from you tmex. We miss you over at the other place.
  16. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Haha... I like the part when he cuts through some dry reeds as though it's tough off-roading. I love my 800gs, but that's some funny direction to show off the bike's prowess.
  17. lonerockz

Oddometer:

It's just like Christmas! :rofl
  18. lonerockz

Oddometer:
    I kind of expected that sentence to read "I've been over logs with mine, ass over tea kettle, but over logs...":evil
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If listen closely, you can hear the forks "klac":rofl

:lurk
  20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Haha! :beer