F800GSA Protection

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BlackstoneOG, Sep 3, 2019.

1. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve finally pulled the trigger on a new to me 2017 F800GSA. Bike is in mint condition and I want to do my best to keep it respectable. That said, I do plan to ride more dirt than street.

What is everyone using to protect the frame rails where my boots will likely rub? They’re a beautiful white, and I’m sure it won’t take much to mark them up and rub the paint. I see Touratech has some plastic ones but they’re $70 each. What looks like the same plastic protector can be had from Ebay or amazon for about $15.

Also looking at a Maier rear mud guard to keep the grime off the rear shock and a front fender extender to keep mud from being thrown right on the filter and headers.

Lastly looking at crash bars and a skid plate. BDCW makes a pretty beefy skid plate but I hear it’s heavy. The Heed crash bars seems to be favored by many, but do they integrate with the factory crash bars or do I just scrap the factory ones?

I know a lot of these topics have been covered ad nauseum, but I couldn’t seem to find a specific answer by search.

Thanks!
    cgguy09 likes this.
  2. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    as far as a skid plate, I finally decided on the Winderlich "extreme" skid plate as it definitely seems like it protects higher on the headers than other options. It's also very light. Rode in mud and grime this weekend and this was the first time my headers weren't coated in mud after the ride. Don't even need a fender extender.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My personal preference is toward AltRider gear. Wunderlich supposedly is great quality but I honestly don't know if I could ever justify the prices they charge. Black Dog and AltRider are both American companies, very small, both building great things so I like to buy from them first before anyone else. SW-Motech/Givi/Wunderlich are doing good things too. Again, totally personal but I find Touratech hardware always lets me down when it comes to real protective bits.

Heed was very soft metal and collapsed the first time I dropped my bike off road. AltRider bars on the other hand, I dropped the bike a dozen times at various speeds and then low-sided into a guard rail and the bike slid on the crash bars. They never moved from position.

One option. eBay Crash bars for cheap. buy 2-3 of them, replace as needed :) oh and post a photo of your beautiful bike!
    cgguy09 likes this.
  4. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see a listing for F800GSA on the Altrider website.
  5. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our plates are a little heavier than stock but we've always designed our plates to provide the best protection possible. For a skid plate the weight is down low and a little extra protection at the expense of weight beats damaging your motor or getting stranded in the woods. It's cheap insurance. :D

For more information on our skid plate for the F800 click here.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call. Happy to help get you properly protected.

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    cgguy09 and AdamChandler like this.
  6. casf

casf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rumbux full-spec enduro kit because the skid plate mounts to the crash bars instead of something else.

it's a bit heavy, but it feels pretty bomb-proof so far.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  8. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9047.JPG She only had 208 miles on her when I picked her up yesterday.
    cgguy09, Link6 and AdamChandler like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. Appears they never decided to make crash bars for the GSA variant of the F800. Sorry I mislead you.
  11. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m liking the looks of your skid plate. Does it fit with the heed bars? Do you ever offer any promotions or discounts? Thanks!!
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  12. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    We've not run into any issues between our plate and other brands to date. As for promotions or discounts we don't have anything planned at this time.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks for your interest!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
  13. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Black Dog.
    cgguy09 and BlackDogCycleWorks like this.
  14. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    The Rumbux full rally spec is great, I love mine! Its had a pretty decent workout so far with a number of low speed drops. But the outriggers on the bottom really limit lean angle on the street, so you can't be as aggressive. Which probably isn't a bad thing.

Also, they aren't exporting to the US anymore...
  16. casf

casf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i imported mine directly which i would not recommend, but i don't have any regrets considering how things played out for me. there are three resellers in the US who can likely import the part for you and ship domestically.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  17. BlackstoneOG

BlackstoneOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve already installed the BDCW skid plate. Now trying to decide on crash bars. I like that the Touratech attach to the factory bars and have a nice clean look, but worry about their strength.
    My second choice is Heed, but again not sure about strength.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  18. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    Rumbux has a nice upper bar setup, if you can find someone to get it to you. They're a South African company that rallies and started selling what they made. I can't say enough good enough them.

I found the Adventure limited what was available for crash protection, but there are options. I think advdepot.com has(had?) a decent selection.
  19. erburtt

erburtt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the HEED bars, I've had the bike down in a variety of terrain, never faster than 5 mph or so though, they've scratched a bit here and there, but the only drop that ever moved them was onto solid bedrock in a shallow (but extremely slippery) river crossing. The bike has zero damage though, they've always protected it.
  20. Link6

Link6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got Hepco & Becker upper crash bars I've tested off pavement without issues.

[​IMG]