F850 GS ADV - effectiveness of crashbars

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Kwafo, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Dear riders,

I often struggle with the question if the OEM crash bars work. So I did a simple test, what will happen if I put the bike on the ground.

Pictures are self-explanatory. On the road the crash bars should work fine.

The weight of the lower part of the bike keeps the steer from the ground. In a heavy crash the top side of the bike could hit te ground and the grey/silver tank/side panels of the bike could potentially touch the ground causing some damage.

For the muffler, it’s the same problem. It should be fine unless the crash is somewhat more severe.

IMG_20190403_091740.jpg IMG_20190403_091744.jpg IMG_20190403_091753.jpg IMG_20190403_091943.jpg IMG_20190403_091948.jpg IMG_20190403_091926.jpg IMG_20190403_091928.jpg

Attached Files:

AdamChandler and CBejbl like this.
  2. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Hepco Becker upper and lower bars on my 850 and haven't done this 'test' yet. I will post photos after I do it - maybe over the weekend. Good stuff!
  3. Aaron871

Aaron871 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the same “test” the other day with my 700 GS in the driveway :becca. SW Motech crash bars kept the rest of the bike off the ground. Not a scratch on it…
    cgguy09 likes this.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the testing results.

My concern with the GSA bars is that the upper hoop seems a bit unsupported and might bend easily in a harder tip over. I'd like to see some sort of extra support tube up there or an add on upper bar from someone that would help take the load.

I'd be looking at losing the rear pegs too if (when) I get my GSA. I would never use them so they would not be missed. I does appear that you don't have the luggage racks on, those would provide some protection on the rear. They are standard on Canadian models with Premium equipment package which would be my choice.
  5. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crash bars are great, but so are things that protect the clutch and stator covers from hard pokey things.
  6. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First world problems, but yeah, I'm waiting for the manufacturers out there to catch up with this new bike.

I have boxes on mine. I'm wondering if that would force the bike over the crash bars and onto the handlebars and plastics...
  7. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Tested the Wild @ Heart crash bars on pavement and dirt. Work very well. Went through a couple mirrors though.
  8. 2wheelr

2wheelr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the GS Giants rally a couple weeks ago in Dolores Co. There was a new 850GS adventure there that had been down on both sides and the crash bars folded in against the plastic and a weld even broke on one side. I wish I had taken pictures. Definitely does not crash well like the 1200/1250 gsa. Very disappointed in the crash bars on the 850gsa. I have one and am now worried about taking it off road. Lots of damage to the bike at the rally
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a low speed get off on my 850 GSA at Dirt Daze. Fell on bed of rocks on the left side of the Bike. No issues at all
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone had a chance to try the Wunderlich tank protection bars yet?
    https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/b...-tank-protection-bar-adventure-41580-400.html
    Looks like it is not making the crash bars any more crash proof? The attachment point is quiete thin and same as the lower crash bars, there is no support for the hoop.
    Will the F850GSA even tip over so far in a crash?
    I had my R1200GSA rolling over its crash bars once almost putting the wheels in the air..

Really hope the manufactorers get a move on to get some good bars for this bike.
  11. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    C124B6E5-141C-4B1E-B8AD-2405AFF0D02A.jpeg BCE54199-6DF5-474D-926C-27305C330357.jpeg I have the wunderlich upper and lower bars. I wouldn’t describe the attachment as thin. Haven’t don’t this test yet and haven’t laid it over hard on the trail but I have some good hits on the lowers on rocks that were hard enough to gouge the steel and I’d describe them as pretty tough. If they were thicker people would complain about weight. I like the uppers because they appear to protect higher on the tank than others. I thought about fabbing up a bar to connect the uppers over the tank but haven’t found components I like to start this yet. That said, connection points are strong with strong hardware, I’d presume a pretty damn hard hit to fold them.
    ETA: Just went out and looked again, I don’t think there’s a way to tie the upper tank bars together to strengthen them over the top of the tank. I do think that the tank bars and the engine bars could be tied together for the same result and at going to try to figure this out.
  12. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those seem to be well supported. But you have the standard GS.
    I was asking for the GSA
    There is totally no support going to the backside of the bike. (See pic)
    While the normall GS bars do have that support. I don’t think those will fit on the GSA because it is wider up top.

D198E182-CDB9-46E8-B32D-C30998BF85BB.png
  13. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    My error. Strangely though, while looking at mine, duplicating that attachment point is what I plan to do which I do think would add a lot of strength.....but I also have the tie in to the engine already. Easy enough to fab, but shouldn’t have to for the $ these cost.
  14. 2wheelr

2wheelr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did have a low speed tip over on my 850gsa on the left side with no damage to the plastics.
    However I think it bent the crash bar in a little bit, hardly noticeable.
  15. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    20190630_154315.jpg 20190630_154320.jpg 20190630_154324.jpg

Road hazard low side into guard rail.
    Last weekend of june.
    Nothing broken on me. Rode the bike onto destination then home.
    Insurance repaired
  16. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thankfully you had nothing!
    But I’m now positive that the bars need to be changed. Hopfully a manufacturer will come with good supported bars soon..
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of the bars made for the GS use the engine mounting bolts to secure to. I've been looking at the possibility of a support brace that spans from the back of the hoop on the GSA bar to the rear engine mounting bolts. Something like the add on bars made for the boxer GSAs. If nothing shows up on the market, I may see about building my own over the winter.
    Lancebringer likes this.
  18. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    That would probably be the best thing to do after replacing the lower bars with something firmer.
    My crash result was at about 30-40 mph sliding into the underside of the guard rail.
    The side that was on the road suffered road crash, but I didnt notice a bend, the side that hit the rail ended up damaging the engine case cover, and was replaced as part of the repair.
    It definitely absorbed the damage, but at a dont ride it until it's fixed, state.

That being said, what no one is talking about, is the aluminum forks.
    If you look closely, it took a hit and dented in, compromising the dust seal, were it higher, it would have compromised the oil seal.

I'd like to see some protection designed for the front fork tubes, as they are aluminum, and vulnerable in a crash. I'd hate to imagine what would happen in back country
  19. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the fork, a slider wont that do the trick? It seems to only be hitting the plastic shield not the actual fork itself.

Also did some off-roading yesterday and the crash bars seem to do there jobs.
    What I did notice is that the handlebar toutches the ground... but there is no metal handguard set avaible yet that fits the Adventure.
    Mailed Hepco and Becker since the seem to have one, but the just coppied it from the normall GS.
    Thanks to my mail the gonna bring in a F850GS Adventure next week to test the handlebar guards. So Waiting for a reply from them.

Also the bike is quite easy to pick up since the crash bars put the bike allready in a high position like the 1200 boxer engine does.

85BC952E-8D5C-46AD-9C8D-AC681F912432.JPG
  20. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer: