F850 GS ADV - effectiveness of crashbars

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Kwafo, Apr 3, 2019.

1. mspgirl

mspgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Machine Art Moto also make metal hand guards, I have them on my 750. You will need a bar back riser with these as well.
  2. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    I mounted the MaMo on my 850gsa. Definitely an improvement in appearance, wind protection, and mechanical protection.
    Same install kit as 1200 and 1250
    750 I saw on the sales floor had a skinny almost dirt bike handlebar
  3. mspgirl

mspgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 750 has 7/8 inch bars but we were able to make everything work.
    Lancebringer likes this.
  4. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I had in mind to build if nothing like it came on the market first. Maybe some other brands will jump in to compete.
  6. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Yes the OEM bars have there limits, but so have almost all afternarket crashbars. The only manufacturer that I really trust that sells in the EU are the crashbars from Altrider. SW motech, wundelich, touratech and others all have crashbars that won't protect enough for real crashes.

For small crashes they'll do, but for big crashes I should wait for Altrider to make a crashbar, lets let ask them when they can deliver. Still waiting for some protection for the underbelly of my f850 ADV.

And handguards... Yes that is really silly of BMW that no barkbusters can be fitted, but risers will do the trick.

one plus... there are no sensitive stuff present behind the silver fairing, so if you crash.. the chances are that you can ride on.
  7. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I gave Altrider an email and the are starting to work on the f850 in de near future.
    The first had to do the ktm 790, so the are finishing that and start with the 850.
    So let’s wait and see what kinda bars the gonna make.
    Kwafo likes this.
  8. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    thank you for contacting them. The more the demand the sooner they will work on the f850gs
  9. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    When I spoke to altrider at the MOA National Rally in Lebanon, TN, they informed me that there were TWO bikes first. The KTM 790, and the R1250GS/A.
  10. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    Not entirely accurate. Within a few inches of that fairing sits the end tanks of our Radiators.
    When I wrecked they had to replace the black trim, silver fairing, and radiator
    Kwafo likes this.
  11. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Just came back from a week in Utah. Did the White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park. A few falls at low speed using the Wunderlich Upper crash bars, no damage to the bike or bars. Been looking online for a set of the Wunderlich reinforcement bars but they wont be available till next month.

[​IMG]

IMG_2379.jpg IMG_2406 2.jpg
    heatmizr and Kwafo like this.
  12. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    I am not sure that the connection point (red circle on image) is strong enough. Seems a little weak. Would worry me if the impact is not 100 procent straight on that connection, seems not thick and sturdy at all. Would weld it on to there if I want to be sure. Haven't seen in it real life though.

41875-000_04_1500_web.jpg
  13. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that little strap seems weaker than I'd like to see. However, in all likelyhood it probably is sufficient since the goal is to support the rear of the main bar loop against side forces trying to push it in towards the fairing plastic. I assume the brace butts tight to the main bar so the bracket is just to maintain alignment. Most likely a crash with enough force to overcome that will result in serious damage anyway.
  14. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    @MCMXCIVRS True, it will sure help a little bit, I would still weld it together instead of using that bracket.

And I know that I am biased, just had to many crappy crashbars that I lost trust in the main brands like Touratech, SW motech and GIVI. Altrider is the only crashbar that have not failed me fall after fall. But there might be others.

I you look at most connection points of crashbars from the main brands I don't think they have thought them out and put it to the test. Just look at the connection of the upper Wunderlich crash bar in the picture. To connect a crashbar that way... that looks ridiculous, but you seem to have put it to the test?

Same with the engine guards. most use just the connection points of the OEM engine guards that are not made for serious impact and could cause leakage. .. But I think I have said enough
  15. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any of the add on bars for my GSA yet. I'm still waiting to see what the other players bring to the table before I toss them my cash. Our riding season is over and I managed to get through the summer without dumping the bike and testing the bars - mainly due to playing it safe and good luck. If nothing better comes on the scene prior to next spring, I'll look at going with the Wunderlich pieces and do some work to beef up the connection hardware. That would still be less work than my original plan to make my own from scratch.
    Kwafo likes this.
  16. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    same plan here, maybe @BordenBmw could comment on his experience of the upper crash bars.
  17. RicoRTW

RicoRTW n00b

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe no one other than wunderlich, has brought anything decent to the 850 GSA market yet. The wunderlich upper bars look more like a fashion accessory for mounting lights to, than a serious crash protection bar.

I emailed outbackmotortek.com about their plans of possibily making a set of upper and lower crash bars for the 850gsa, but unfortunately they don't think demand will be high enough. :dunno

It's such a shame cause their systems for the 1200gsa, Africa twin, F800gs etc look completely bombproof. The crash test videos on their website attest to that, whilst making. you wince at the same time. :muutt:doh

Maybe if enough of us emailed them enquiring for the GSA it would change their minds :D
  18. Lancebringer

Lancebringer ATGATT

Oddometer:
    I spoke with the owner of outbackmotortek-usa at the BMW MOA National Rally. He said the bars are soft by design, mild steel, and in his mind, thats a requirement to not damage the frame.
    So. Im not at a terrible loss over that.

That being said. The Touratech kid I spoke to called GS, and especially GSA bikes "unrefined" and that "Touratech wont make anything for the 850gsa because its not worth it"
    The actual rep said theres nothing in the works yet, but they should make parts.

AltRider says they will, at that time it was KTM890, BMW1250GS/A, THEN 850GSA. If that has changed, I dont know.
    I think ROX said he was going to make new mounts to fit the oem GPS mount and have them in a H box instead of the offset I have. That aside, I have wrecked it..twice with the risers in this form? and had no barshift or anything.

Wunderlich I want to say said they were making newer beefier bars, but dont quote me.

All in all, out of all the bar makers I have talked to and looked at, either Touratech or Altrider will be the way to go. and if AltRider keeps his word, we will see parts soon enough.
  19. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    @Kwafo

Sorry that I did not review those upper bars sooner, life gets in the way sometime!

The upper bars are not as solid as the bottom OEM ones; made from a smaller diameter pipe. The few times I dropped my bike at low speed in Utah last October, I'm sure that it save the upper fairing from damage, I ever broke the brake lever when I fell once but no appearance damage on the faring. Once back home, I loosen all the bolts and put everything back strait and that was it. I now just installed the Wunderlich reinforcement bars. I'm not too worry about the weak point you are talking about, seem pretty solid to me. Those clips are one piece, not like the clips on the upper bars, those made of 2 half. Also, the reinforcement bars are bend at just the right way so 100% of a hit would be transfer to then with no pressure on those clips. Unless it is a high speed fall they should work just fine. Time will tell but I'm happy with them. Looking forward to see what Altrider will be coming out with? Always reading good reviews about their products.
    Kwafo likes this.
  20. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your post, very informative :-)
    BordenBmw likes this.