F850gs blown fork seal

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bobwolff68, Aug 7, 2020.

1. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the pleasure of replacing fork seals yet? Blew my right one on the WABDR last month. Thoughts on best repair route? Just order parts from BMW? Or are there after-market already?

BTW - I believe I've come to understand that the only functional fork on the 850 is the right fork. Anyone can validate that?
    20200801_182126.jpg
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    yeah... it's a "wear item" so probably not covered by warranty ... but sheezzz seems kind quick... :(

If you have not lost a ton of fluid you could try this: https://sealmate.net/

In the old days some of us used a piece of film from a 35mm camera but... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... that was then ... :photog
  3. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was quick because it was a BDR. And dust. And baby head hill. And rapid unplanned dismounts. :rofl I may try the sealmate. Love the retro thinking with 35mm film!!
    JRWooden likes this.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just added some neoprene fork sleeves to mine to help keep the grit from getting into the seals. Had them on my 800 also after an early seal failure and never had trouble after that.
  5. Phymly

Phymly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with both the Sealmate and neoprene sleeves. My previous F650GS had a weeping fork seal for a while while I procrastinated on replacing it. I heard about the Sealmate and decided to try. After a few minutes of work the leak was gone.
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  6. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a sealmate and it may or may not work depending if you actually have a bad seal or just a piece of dirt stuck on the edge of the seal, more often than not it works.

If I can't find my sealmate I just make one out of a plastic milk jug.
  7. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did go ahead and ordered a pair of them. Seems smart given how many two-wheeled vehicles are in the garage. :) We'll see how it goes next week when they arrive.
    JRWooden likes this.