1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F850GS Handguards/LeverGuards

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bobwolff68, Mar 18, 2019.

1. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that Barkbusters (or similar) can wind up bashing into the TFT display on these bikes in a hard fall situation :p3rry due to movement of the guards during the crash and so I've not pulled the trigger yet on replacing the plastic one-time-use factory guards.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this topic for the 750/850 models? I'm also keen to go the route of HDB, but it's unclear to me if those would fit the 850 and whether they would suffer from the same potential issue above with the TFT display.

Thanks!
    bob
  2. 77TOY

77TOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1! I ride HDB in all my bikes... a 750GS is on order (might have it by end of the week). Very interested in this as well... :ricky:lurk
  3. mspgirl

mspgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 750Gs and replaced mine with Machine Art Moto ADV guards. I did have to install a Rox barback riser in order for them not to hit the TFT.

Attached Files:

4. sdezz

sdezz n00b

Oddometer:
    mspgirl likes this.
  5. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Jmetz

Jmetz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. creeky

creeky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    mspgirl Which Rox risers did you use ? Part #
  8. mspgirl

mspgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is ROX # 3R-B12POEK . We only used the bottom in order to reuse the GPS mount.
  9. rzell

rzell n00b

Oddometer:
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  10. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a hdb set that sees the hand guards mount straight to the bars as opposed to the top clamp. Maybe those will be a better fit? Regardless you should email Paul and ask his opinion. The kit for the 800gs, Ktm 990/1090/1190/1290 and Africa Twin are based on the ultimate hand guard model.
  11. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    I actually did a full-blown set of measurements and a trial fitting with Paul 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately what he had as "close" wasn't close enough yet. Ultimately, he needs someone local to lend him an 850 or 750 so he can have it in the shop for a few days to complete the process. Any inmates near MEAD CO with an 850 willing to do so? I loved the handguards themselves and the quality of the product very much - but it does need to be specialized for the new BMW.

12. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did this with BDCW for the skid plate, so if they were in the Spokane area I'd be more than happy to, but alas... I know it's a new bike, but I feel like the aftermarket accessories people are really dragging their feet on this. I broke the "disposable" handguards my 850 GSA came with already, so I'm feeling a little naked... Now very hesitant to go off-road because what if... Anyway, I'm watching like a hawk for a compatible set of quality handguards for my bike!

ETA: Love the skid plate by BDCW in case anyone was wondering. Solid protection all around. Feel like it covers more of the pipes than any of the competitors would.
  13. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the love on our Ultimate Skid Plate for the 750/860 :D

One of our close rider/friends is out near Paul/HDB. I know he loves Paul's parts and had a full compliment of everything Paul made on his last KTM 530. That said, Paul to date hasn't done much in the BMW adventure bike space as there have been few people asking for parts (most BMW riders aren't familiar with HDB's products). If he was making parts, in particular his handguards, for the BMW bikes it would be a win for all riders that even consider taking their bikes off-road.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in Colorado who has a 750/850 yet. If I hear of anything I'll mention getting in touch with Paul.

Thanks again for the recommendation of our parts for the 750/850!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    slackline likes this.
  14. slackline

Oddometer:
    There still seems to be a lack of enthusiasm from the vendors to provide aftermarket parts for this bike. I don’t want much, but I need handguards after a crash, and I don’t want to go through the hassle of buying something only to find out it doesn’t fit and have to ship it back. There’s no reliable info about the TFT screen not being hit by handguards...
  15. DarkOdeus

DarkOdeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a bit of a concern for me as I have been off roading this bike more than any other bike I have owned (400 miles on the bike 150 off road currently) but the hand guard situation is a bit worrying.

I knew going into this bike that aftermarket support would be sparse for a while but hand guards seem so simple.

Oh well next up on the list is a BDCW bash plate. Maybe I'll fabricate my own hand guard braces for now, though it's a bit off putting something so simple isn't made yet

Edit: I should mention I'm on a GSA so bark busters won't work for me as of right now. Might have to get some rox risers solely for hand guards.
    slackline likes this.
  16. slackline

Oddometer:
    Curious, what do you guys think about the addition of risers? Would that provide the clearance for Barkbusters? I’m going to add risers anyway once TT gets around to making the longer screws for the GPS mount...
  17. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    BTW I finally got the right Barkbusters for the 850 that won't crash into the TFT display. The part number is BHG-075. Works perfectly.
    rvsparky and slackline like this.
  18. slackline

Oddometer:
    Is yours a GS or GSA? I ask because the site says specifically not recommended for the GSA.
  19. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    Mine is not the GSA. Apparently at full lock, the lower part of the metal hits the bigger flared tank plastic on the GSA. It only clears by a half inch on my GS.
  20. slackline

Oddometer:
    Well, I just ordered risers so we'll see how it goes. You have pics of how it settled on the handlebars? How did you avoid the cables?