1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F850GS Handguards/LeverGuards

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bobwolff68, Mar 18, 2019.

1. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll give it a try again tomorrow
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Now I'm trying to remember if that silver receiving Bolt has to come off or not, I'm a bit fuzzy on that but once you get the mirror off you will see.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I played hookie today and tried out my new Bark Busters. I found some dirt roads about an hour and 20 minutes from me in Vashti, NC, an area that I'm very unfamiliar with. It's a wonder I never rode around here before...

It was a nice day today, got up to 73, but a bit cool to start. My first thought on the interstate was that I get more breeze on my hands with these Bark Busters than with the stock guards. And what's up with these giant notches cut out of them?? Air flows right through those on to my thumbs. Are those for cables on a real dirt bike? Good thing it wasn't REALLY cold.

I was pleased with the dirt roads going up and over the mountain ridge. V good condition but somewhat twisty. However the second one I attempted said No Outlet. I had had trouble routing it on my navigation app, because it looked like the road didn't connect through on map view. But I had visually verified on satellite image that you could see the road all the way through... Well a nice old lady pulled up behind me and I asked her, she said there was a private gated community up there now and you couldn't pass through anymore. Bummer! That really screwed up my nav route, as I had to then do my whole second larger Loop in reverse.

After enjoying that terrain I headed back through some remote country in the foothills and it just so happened that a few of my selected roads turned out to be dirt also, which I wasn't expecting. Bonus!

I stumbled across several cabins that look like you could rent, a huge horse camp area, and several remote areas that were being clear-cut which was a bummer.

Once I got home, I loosened up all the bolts for the Bark Busters and rotated them up about an inch or so. I couldn't go any further because the mounting hardware would interfere with the clutch housing. Hopefully this will remove most of the wind on my hands.
    And if I find something to plug that slot cut out of them, I will definitely do that...
    ~190 mi total.
    dolomite and mazocar like this.
  4. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Did you go out west to find some decent roads? I’m in Morrisville, NC. I think that’s about 2-3 hrs from you and I’ve been looking for places to ride but haven’t found anything local yet. I guess I’ll just have to take a trip west one of these days.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Today was around Vashti, north west of Statesville. I have been up above Morganton and Marion, Brown Mtn... much bigger and better riding out there in the mountains.
    Closer to you I highly recommend the Uwharrie National Forest. Lots of interesting little back roads there, as well as an off-highway vehicle park. The OHV roads require a pass and are too rugged and tight for our big bikes, but the state Forest roads that service that area and the OHV Trail heads are fun to ride on.
  6. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll try to head out to uwharrie when I have some time! I have heard about that area and everyone seems to like it. I don’t have any off road experience on my gs and I’ve been meaning to get some light practice
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    The Forest Service roads will be great for you then. Find them on GravelMap.com
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pro,

as you have 35mm risers, the Touratech R1250GS has guard kit will bolt right up without any issue. I have them on my 850GSA with 20mm risers. I have crash tested these on my 1150GS at highway speed. Clutch lever bent slightly, but still useable.
  9. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hand guard.jpg
    Thanks, but have used the TT Hand guards on a few bikes, but as they are full plastic, the right impact will break them, good products, but for me need something more robust. Last year at a ride in TN we were riding out a rain storm in the woods, my TE-630 side stand sunk into the mud and the TT guard broke along with my clutch lever when it fell over,,, interesting 6 mile ride out of the woods with no clutch. Again a good product but need something with more reinforcement. See attached aftermath photo, bike just fell on to its side in the mud. Have had several other TT hand guards break in almost identical location. Again a good product but the right fall will break them with regularity
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weird, survive a broken collarbone, but give out in a top over. I do have bark busters on my Tiger 800XC and they have survived a lot of off road mishaps.
  11. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it'll feel really weird buying the ADVance Guards for the R9T when they supposedly make one for our model, but I'm not ready to put a riser on so when they're back in stock I'll pull the trigger!

Edit: I reached out to Machineart Moto to ask them their thoughts on the R9T guards fitting the GSA with no interference, also to ask them about availability, here's their reply:
  12. David Veld

David Veld n00b

Oddometer:
    For those interested: Barkbusters informed me that they are developing a specific kit for the F 850 GSA so you can fit Barkbusters without raising the handlebar 20mm. It will be released within a few months is all I know. The kit will be BHG-085. I'll be waiting for it:-)
  13. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    That is great news! will be keeping tabs on this
  14. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any current Barkbuster work with the F850 GSA, I have 35 mm bar risers, got a NMBDR trip on the horizon

Thanks

Paul
  15. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Yes but a lot of us are looking for barkbusters that fit without risers.
  16. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters offered a specific solution for the 850 GSA many months ago already. It's a separate part number.
  17. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Please send me a link because I can not find it on the official Barkbusters website.

The only have the handguard option for the BMW F850GS and state: "NOTE: Not recommended for F850GS ADVENTURE models as mounting clamp will touch tank at full lock."

https://barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/bmw/f850gs-2018-on/vps/two-point-mount/
    https://barkbusters.net/products/vps/3500-bhg-075/
  18. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I'm rather shocked. I had several interactions with those folks early in their design cycle. And there were separate ones for the GSA due to the tank. I'm guessing they either had troubles or not enough demand. I'd suggest writing them about it. You may find out if you have your bars rotated up a bit maybe they fit. Dunno.
  19. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Hi Bobwolff68, David Veld said that they were working on it. I already send them a mail asking for GSA specific barkbusters almost a year ago (already 50K on the clock). At that time they were unsure if they would produce them. I will wait a little wile and otherwise I am forced to to buy barrisers.