F850GS TFT Display Problem?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KW Guy, Jul 24, 2020.

1. KW Guy

KW Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 10 day, 3,000 mile trip from Colorado to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho with my 2019 F850GS. The bike worked great until the last morning while heading home. Leaving town the speed limit jumped to 70 MPH, so I got the bike into sixth gear and engaged the cruise control. After a few seconds it disengaged; when I looked at the TFT the display for the cruise control had disappeared and the gear indicator was showing first gear. The cruise control will not reengage and the gear indicator shows first no matter what gear I am in. Neutral will not display, just 1.

I stopped by the dealer on the way home, but they are so booked up they can't get to it for a few weeks. Not sure if its a TFT problem or a bad controller box somewhere. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Thanks.
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Likely a gear position indicator/sensor or a wiring issue.
    heatmizr likes this.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yup. 70mph in first gear does not computer, so it kills the cruise.
  4. Shropdog

Shropdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just posted a similar issue on just the cruise control...TFT is fine tho...so far. Be interesting to see what comes of this!
  5. KW Guy

KW Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got the bike home, I saw that some of the readings on Trip 2 were incorrect; an average speed of 2 MPH and gas mileage of 2 MPG. I reset everything in Trip 1 and 2 and voila, the gear indicator and cruise control started working again. Weird.
  6. Shropdog

Shropdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try that too...thx for the tip!
  7. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Any follow up to what the issue turned out to be?

Thanks!
  8. KW Guy

KW Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since everything started working again after the Trip reset, I never took it into the dealer. Probably some kind of electrical gremlin, but it has not reoccurred in the last few weeks.
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  9. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    I appreciate you following up with us.

Off track here but I see your garage in your sig...

Question: Do you think the 850 is a strong, comparable contender to the big GS? I've got a '14 R1200Gs I've had since new and I'm having some considerations...naughty considerations. Figured I'd ask while I had you.

I appreciate your thoughts in advance.
  10. KW Guy

KW Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my F850GS in January, but between the weather, work and the Coranavirus I did not have time to do a long trip on it until last month. When my trip scheduled to Norway got cancelled, I decided to use the vacation time to do a trip from Colorado up thru Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington, covering 3,100 miles in 10 days. I averaged about 300 miles a day and the electronics (especially the cruise control on long days) made the miles fly by. I did put a Sargent seat and some 20mm bar risers on the bike to make it a little more comfortable but a 350 - 400 mile day was pretty easy. I like the grunt from the engine on my R1200GS better, but I am starting to wonder why I should keep it when the F850GS is so great. The stock tires that came on the F850GS are a little squirrely in the dirt, but I plan on swapping them out soon. I still like my 1200GS, but if I had to go with one bike I would probably keep the F850GS.
  11. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    Excellent feedback. Thank you.

Here's to many more safe miles.
  12. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up my ‘19 F850gsa in January using my G650 as a trade. After 2 months of riding I decided that the F850gsa is a good replacement for both the G650 & ‘11 R1200gsa. I have never had a bike as comfortable for long distance travel as the 1200gsa! I have since sold the R1200 and I believe that once fully sorted with a new Sargent seat and the right riser that this will be just as comfortable. The plus has been the same oil and filter as my ‘16 R1200rt. So it cleaned up a lot in my cabinets. Now I have room for one more...what to buy?. My goal of downsizing was marginally achieved with a smaller tank.