F850GS Top Case Recommendations

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by david_r_adv, Jul 6, 2020.

1. david_r_adv

david_r_adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After quite an adventure of mishaps on Saturday, I've determined I need to assemble an emergency kit. The first step, as I see it, is something in which to store everything.

There seem to be a lot of options in terms of top cases - BMW aluminum, Vario, GIVI, etc.

What's the prevailing opinion on the best bang for my buck? I'd like to be able to fit my helmet in there as well, if that changes your answer.

Appreciate any guidance that can be offered!
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I really like the Vario case that came with my GS but fitting a helmet in is really dependent upon the type and size of helmet you have. I can fit my Arai Defiant into my top case but not my Shoei Neotech.
    david_r_adv likes this.
  3. david_r_adv

david_r_adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I like the look of the Vario with the aluminum top. My helmet is one of these.
    BMW-K likes this.
  4. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    That lid might work.

The reality of the Vario is that the mechanism to expand / contract the case actually eats up a fair bit of space in the luggage. It's annoying but really, that's all.
  5. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW aluminum top case (made by Touratech but branded BMW) and it fits my Arai XD4 and my gloves but not much else. So I guess my follow-up question would be what kind of gear do you want to store in addition to your helmet? I installed this recently to hold all my tools and a small first-aid kit, which frees up the rest of my luggage for stuff.
  6. david_r_adv

david_r_adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Likely just a tire plug kit and a Motopump Airshot. They could probably fit inside the helmet...
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Luv dolomite's solution.
    I'll never want a giant top case up there affecting the balance of the bike.
  8. david_r_adv

david_r_adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't want something very large after all. For the time being, I ordered the BMW tail bag to hold my stuff. I won't be doing more than day trips for a while.
  9. Trickle007

Trickle007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the vario top case by BMW I really like it and I fit my Arai Signet X in the case with no Problems. I also just ordered a cargo net to add to the inside of the lid for more storage. I actually have both BMW vario side cases as well I just like to carry alot of shit with me when I ride.
    david_r_adv likes this.