(F850GSA) Speedometer accuracy & possible calibration?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by EastRoad, Jul 13, 2021.

1. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    Like most vehicles I‘ve rode or driven, the speedo of my F850GSA is reading a tad high.
    I‘m not overly obsessed by this discrepancy, but for someone like myself who has half his working day in fron of a milling machine and lathe, working 1/100mm tolerances, this is slightly annoying ;)

I‘m aware of the fact, that manufacturers set it intentionally to read a tad high, for a number of reasons.....

As the speedo on the F850GSA is completely digital however, I was wondering if it‘s something that can be calibrated software wise?

this isn‘t my latest OCD issue ;) - it‘s more a curiosity thing...
    PSYOP SGM likes this.
  2. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple answer is no.
    EastRoad likes this.
  3. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    thanks ;)
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    There is this: https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh I bought a used Super Tenere that had one installed and it allowed dialing in the speedometer so that it was very accurate. It did also make the odometer inaccurate. Not sure they make one for BMWs.

And, although this service bulletin is old, I believe it still reflects BMW's approach to speedometer accuracy. In my experience BMW speedometers are more accurate than most other brands, but the F bikes are the least accurate of the BMWs.

[​IMG]
    bykergrrl and EastRoad like this.
  5. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The speedo on my '19 GSA is (according to the Nav V) 3 MPH fast from 25 up to as fast as I have gone (3 digits+). My Yamaha FJR is merely 1 MPH fast, according to the Garmin. I rarely look at the speed on the TFT on my GSA any more...
  6. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    my 16' 800gsa seemed to be bit all over the board but my 2019 850gsa has been bang on +3mph through the range just as the previous poster said. Just sort of have it in the back of my head and more often looking the gps for speed anyway.