F900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tigershark48, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Anybody looked at, ridden or purchased a new F900 yet? They’re starting to appear in several U.S. showrooms. As much as I like my F700, I’m very interested in the F900XR. Being a highway rider, I feel it has a lot to offer. A 30 hp bump in power plus long enough suspension to still handle rough, unmaintained hard surfaces and all at a very decent price. Looking forward to other thoughts.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    have you ridden the F750, not going to be too dissimilar I’d say
  3. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Except for the 20 extra up
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd prefer to head towards more off-road capable. The 30 hp may be nice but is it 'handy'. I'd also be reluctant to give up the remarkable flickability of the F7. So, this bike would have to prove itself to have absolutely great handling and more usable thrust....hard to ever get enough of that.
  5. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Good comments.

The F750 vs my F700? More high tech, more v-twin like sound and feel (if you like that), higher price, Chinese engine (possibly just as good or better? Or maybe not). The main reason I wouldn’t trade up is horsepower. BMW displayed their typical, very German class attitude by increasing it on the higher level 850, but, essentially, not at all on the cheaper 750. Got to maintain that class distinction. Total BS to me. Not to mention, it’s heavier and had a big price increase.

Honestly, I like everything about my F700, except the power. And, the power really is adequate, but not quite as exciting as it would be with 30 more hp. For clarification, I don’t ride off road, which would probably make a difference in what’s important.

Going with a new F750 really wouldn’t give me a bigger bang for the buck. Relatively modest improvements at several thousand dollars out of pocket. No thanks. Did I say I like my F700? What’s crazy is the F900XR costs less than the F750, which I don’t understand, but it is. That’s one of the main things that makes it such a big draw for me. Amongst others.

I appreciate the feedback. I’m still undecided. It will take a ride on the F900XR to even consider the swap. Thank you one and all.
  6. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have test ridden the new F900XR and have one on order. My recommendation is to go test ride one yourself, even the base trim demo model I took out was a really nice ride.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Test ride both! if your dealer knows you're serious they shouldn't have a problem with that. It's really the only way to know for sure, you'll read all different kinds of comments here based on personal bias but riding them gets you the truth for yourself.
  8. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Agree. I’ve test ridden plenty of others and plan to do the same with these two. Interesting how many people order new motorcycles without ever even seeing them in person.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I strongly agree - though I did it once, and ended up getting my favorite bike of my lifetime (RC51).
    I tried to convince my buddy who just bought a new Duc Multistrada 950s to do the same... I couldn't believe he purchased it without a ride. Different dealers vary greatly on this policy, unfortunately, which stresses having a relationship with your favorite dealer. Most folks only have one dealer to choose from though.
  10. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer lets people test ride pretty much any model they have available, more or less. I had no interest in the F900R, but have been eyeing an XR for some time. They sent me out on a 2019 S1000XR and their new F900XR just so I could feel the difference first hand and decide which one I wanted. No pressure, just "sign here, here are the keys, and be careful". It was the ideal experience.
  11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Nice. No BMW dealerships in Milwaukee anymore. Nearest one is an hour away. Makes a difference.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  12. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    My BMW dealership doesn't do test rides.and I bought 2 bikes off him.. I was considering the 900xr.but went a different route. Not because I didn't like the xr.( It seems and looks like a fantastic machine) but it just does the 700 job a little better. So I'll will keep the perfectly adequate 700 a bit longer
  13. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    you know the 900 has the same engine as 750/850 just longer stroke ?
  14. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do know that. My point with the 700 to 750 comparison is not providing an hp increase in the 750 when the engine is more than capable.

Regarding the 850, it’s too tall for me and much more of an off roader, which I am not. The 900 provides the upgraded engine and tall enough suspension to be an even better highway bike than my F7. This really appeals to me. If I ride the XR and it doesn’t totally win me over, I’ll still be very happy with my 700. But, I’m pretty optimistic about the XR. A reasonably powerful sport bike with 17” wheels, but relatively long suspension is an impressive offering. The closest thing is a motard with Ohlins. I like the Ducati, but I would bet the XR is much more comfortable, especially over longer distances. Not to mention a 3 year warranty and $4000 lower price tag.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Here's a very thorough owner review of the f900xr.
    treil and BygDaddee like this.
  16. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd argue that point, they're the same platform, not the same engine, might as well say that all old Porsche and VWs had the same engine too... Also, it's not a stroked 750/850, the bore was punch out 2mm. Having just stepped away from an F800GS and moving towards an F900XR,, you really need to find one to ride. The new engine is 'that' much better.

With a BMW dealer 'only' an hour away, I say make a phone call and go visit them on a Sat for a test ride. Sounds like a great excuse to get out and ride.
  17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    i didnt say it was a bad thing, and you can argue all you like you won’t get an argument from me, the simple fact is its the same Lincoln engine. I’ve ridden the 750, I didnt think it was a bad engine, but I did think the complete GS package could have been better.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/11/06/2020-bmw-f-900-xr-first-look-12-fast-facts/

CAE269DC-2F95-41FA-BCA2-80FFB4264C75.png
    3DE48197-535E-4E57-BACB-0698F32449A0.png
    6748EF2E-D576-4275-803A-8B6C3233F052.png

Attached Files:

18. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I took a 750 for a 3000 km test ride, no dirt admittedly, and decided my F650GS is just as good, nothing to be gained. I am mildly curious about the XR too.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  19. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, per Cycletrader.com, there isn’t a 900 in the state of Wisconsin yet. I’ll gladly drive the hour to my nearest dealership once they have an XR available. I have nothing but time. Looking forward to it.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  20. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Heatmizr,

Excellent owner review. Thanks.