F900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tigershark48, Mar 8, 2020.

1. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer. Have you tried going through the BMW website to locate a dealer that is stocking? There's a link to 'Demo Ride' on the page for each bike. I have found that many dealers don't do a great job of keeping their Cycletrader listings current, it's very hit and miss.
  2. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I’ve gone directly to their websites and looked at their inventories. No XRs yet. I probably couldn’t get a test ride anyway. We’re still getting snow. Spring will come.
  3. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. Let us know when/if you do and what you think.
  4. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I will do that.
  5. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was interested until the fact the engine is made in China came up -- no thanks . . .
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    That's too bad. It's a nice one.
    Haven't seen a single complaint on here about issues.
  7. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You'll be running out of options for 2 and 4 wheels soon with that attitude.
    burangs, ag40, NaMi and 2 others like this.
  8. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Along with most everything else. I understand the feeling, but it’s pretty hard to avoid.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Your up early after the Katy Perry concert last night

10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Who's Katy Perry? Was she in Abba?
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but I'll stay with used stuff and hope the production of goods pendulum starts a shift back towards the west. If you think any form of prosperity can be maintained on the present course, I think that is a sad mistake.
  12. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a better street bike but not a very good off road bike.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    It's not a trend that is likely to reverse. If it ever does come back it'll be robots doing the work. And we'll be pushing the buttons to turn the robots on and off. Even in my company we keep shoving more and more offshore. They say that frees us up to do new things...
  14. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, setting aside the increase in margins achieved by procuring from China, has your business done new things that contribute to something better? And is this gain reasonably sustainable?
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Well, I am in IT, and that field is changing all the time... Whether or not you regard the benefits worthwhile is a different matter. It's all to be able to do more with less.
    And honestly that itself is driven by this seemingly unending need to increase shareholder value... And yes I agree that that is a pursuit that is ultimately not sustainable, and yet the whole world is moving in that direction for the foreseeable future.

we are somewhat lucky that BMW is not a publicly owned company and subject to the same insane demands... But they have to survive as well.

This conversation is getting very metaphysical.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    The American company Honeywell just did create a really cool quantum computer...
    But I'm not sure what it can do yet.
  17. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    I'm contemplating an 900XR myself (2nd bike/shared with the wife), for me the direct competition for my dollars is the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Very similar price point here in Oz but the GT comes with extras over the XR (panniers, quick shifter, hand guards) and proven Japanese reliability. Have been seeing some 1-2 year old GT's with 40-50 thou kays on them with little chatter about reliability, where the XR is basically a whole new bike for BMW so unproven in the reliability stakes.
    Time for a back to back test ride and I'll go from there I think....
  18. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine finally showed up in the crate yesterday and I was able to ride it home today. It's a loaded model with a few extras from the factory and more add-ons on the way. It is certainly more expensive than the Tracer GT Pro, but that bike just doesn't speak to me the same way the new XR does. I've only got 25 miles on it so I don't really have any useful info other than the ride home had me smiling the whole way.
    Traveller13, Tigershark48 and budsboy like this.
  19. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Just completed a back to back comparison ride on the two bikes (F900XR and Tracer 900GT), and as much as I wanted the XR to come out on top the Tracer is just a better bike from a riders POV, well for me anyway.
    The Bimmer has more electronic farkles available and there's bugger all in the price but the Tracer is gruntier, more fun and significantly more comfortable. The XR's seat is gnarly and the wind noise with the screen up or down is just plain loud AF. It sin't all bad for the XR, it's a nice handling bike and that twin isn't put to shame by the GT's triple but for me it falls short.
    Never mind, I don't think I will be disappointed in purchasing the Yammie.
    BygDaddee and budsboy like this.
  20. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its been awhile, busy on product reviews. But, did find time to take the F850GSA up to the dealer and complete the deal for a F900XR fully loaded, light white, and now with Scorpion Trail 2 rubber, as this XR, like my original S1000XR, will spend a chunk of time off the pavement...and yes the limitations are there. But so far, on pavement - straight and twisted, the 9XR is absolutely brillant...it might be the 'lower priced' model, but it sure does ride, handle and go like heck...trust me, a BIG step up from the F750/850 series machines and linear power/torque from low on up, and much smoother, even during break-in. Another off-road machine, probably something smaller and lighter will find its way home one of these days, but outside of the stock seat that I need to get changed for a higher unit and some decent Rallye style pegs, the 9XR is, methinks, going to be a good one... My thoughts for now. Bruce
    rcb78 likes this.