Facebook Marketplace

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Apr 4, 2020.

1. MrBob

MrBob Flammin the Diddle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been off of Facebook for several years because I find it mostly annoying, but I have some stuff for sale and I'd like to post it on the FB marketplace. But, what is up with their ads?
    I see Jeep Wranglers in good condition, for instance, listed for prices like 1400.00. They might be ten times that. The car prices seem absurdly low, as do a number of other items for sale. What is going on here?
  2. chuppie

chuppie Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't facebook for 14 year olds?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. MrBob

Oddometer:
    :dunno
    The Marketplace seems pretty active. I haven't looked for vids of kittens and puppies.
    local1 and Bultaco206 like this.
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll use the Flea Market here. I’ve done well on here actually over the years. (Except for the ridiculous ‘dibs’ bullshit that the n00bs use of late.) Otherwise I’d rather burn my shit than use any of the public outlets like FB, Craigslist, Letgo, et al. :fpalm
  5. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Scams of various sorts. The workings differ, but it usually starts with trying to hook you on a really great deal on something.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  6. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    The scammers have found FB marketplace in some areas. Where I live, it's still a really good resource to buy or sell stuff and has limited stupidness. Other areas friends say it's become worse the CL with scammers. When I lived in St George, UT, both CL and FB Marketplace were full of car ads that showed a really nice vehicle, like a pimped out 4x4 truck or luxury car for prices like you mentioned, $1200 to $2000. All were scams of some sort. Trying to get you to put $500 down to hold it, then you find out they don't exist when you try to go pick up the car. Typically the ad would be in an area distant from the location of the vehicle. Usually a major city and ads in smaller cities more or less near by.
    ktmcrush likes this.
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Anything listed for those kinds of prices are scams.
    barnyard likes this.
  8. MrBob

Oddometer:
    The Flea Market has advantages when shipping makes sense, but I don't allow dibs. Most of the time, those are the people who will contact you a week later saying their wife won't let them buy it.
    Letgo is unfamiliar. Craigslist is steadily declining.
  9. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I have a dibs disclaimer I post on every ad I create in here.

Letgo is like Craigslist in an app form. But the people are even more dysfunctional than on Craigslist. It’s a hoot. :baldy
    KeithinSC likes this.
  10. MrBob

Oddometer:
    If the local hospice has a thrift shop and my item is priced at less than 50 bucks, I'll usually take it there.
    madeouttaglass and Bultaco206 like this.
  11. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I’ve lost faith in dealing with the public in general. Even in here it’s not what it used to be.
    pvangel likes this.
  12. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Re: LetGo, what Bultaco206 said. 90% of the responses I get for things I'm selling on LetGo are never followed up on. Canned back and forth is how it's set up, so you get a lot of "Is it still available" followed immediately with what's the least you'll take idiots. The dorks here aren't even smart enough to suggest why they think you should take less than you're asking. You could have something for $5 and they will offer you $2 even if it's worth $20.
    sieg, ktmcrush and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 16yr old would argue that Facebook is for old people
  14. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I bought a dirt bike through it..It was a great deal and no BS involved. would do it again.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  15. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I bought a touring bicycle on FB Marketplace. Felt like I was jumping through hoops when meeting up with the seller but it all worked out. I've advertised a couple of items on it with zero response.

The ads with suspiciously low prices strike me as scams but are not on items that interest me. I'd probably call on the right one and I'd then find out for sure.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  16. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I've bought and sold a ton (metricshit) of motorcycle and guitar stuff over the years online here and other forums, Craigslist, ebay and Marketplace too and had good and bad experiences on all of them.
  17. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I’ve bought and sold great gobs of crap on CL and FB over the years. I’ve gotten fairly proficient at identifying and ignoring morons. But I was a want ads junkie before we had internet. Don’t know why, but I enjoy it. Buying stuff is like a treasure hunt and selling is like fishing. Tools, building materials, farm and garden stuff usually involves reasonable people and I usually wind up having enjoyable conversations with. Motorcycles and cars, that brings out the morons.
  18. e rock

e rock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Too good to be true” = S C A M.
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    You will think Facebook is safer since is connected to your profile but sometimes they don't care..

For example I found out in the middle of a road trip when I was moving to Minnesota that my favorite bike was not in the truck with the rest (GPS Tracker) So I post a "Stolen" add on craigslist and facebook and in less than two hours, I found the POS selling it on the Facebook marketplace..

I died not even need to drive back to salt lake city, I talk to the give him the name of a friend and he send it my way..

$7000 my ass, each of those Chris King wheels cost me wholesale (for the parts) almost $1400..
    [​IMG]

Ps: last time I check his profile he still had a picture on my bike on his page, what the F#$@@ are they thinking..

he even had the guts of wrap a cable lock and install a pump, obviously on the wrong side.
    [​IMG]

Something their is a very "Sound" reason to sell something super cheap..

in this case the guys tell me the rear brake those not work and he has take it to the dealer three times to get it fix..

so I look at it from the back (ridding GS's for 25something years) and I notice the brake pads are backward, YES like in the friction surface against the pistons and then metal to metal on the rotor..

so just to make a point I look around on the floor of the garage and find a old drywall screw and a piece of wood , take the retaining pin out and flip the pads the right way and then ask..

"Do you still want to sell it to me..?!"

the response

"more than Ever"

[​IMG]

This little rocket got purchase as a track tool but the guy never got around it. clean tittle, nothing mechanical wrong, I even have 95% f the plastic and even the broken headlight..

I "Fix" this one just for fun since I did not want to restored it to "sport bike" mode.
    [​IMG]

he also give me a complete set of brand new shark skin fiber glass body work that I sold that very day for $220 on BARF, so I end up with a Freaking nuclear power razor blade for $180, reg was like $35 and insurance so very cheap i don't even remember..
    [​IMG]
  20. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am pleased to see that you got your bike back so quickly and hopefully on good order, off topic I know but a friend had her cheap, bought at a police auction hack stolen and two weeks later riding her newly bought at another auction bike home passed a man riding her old one, she stopped him and demanded it back, he handed it straight over and walked off leaving my friend to push two bikes home.