Factory Baja LC4

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Norman Foley, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    85 Baja HPN, that's a cool looking boxer.. I wonder how much it weighs.

[​IMG]
  2. XRsLug

XRsLug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The HPN Baja conversion supposedly clocks in at 196 kilos including fuel (about 430 pounds) -- but that's with full street legal equipment, bucket headlight, etc. I would imagine that official Baja bike is sub-400.
  3. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    I have to agree that this is the coolest KTM I have ever seen! But what is this "engineering not marketing firm" crap?!! Racing is marketing for the sake of engineering. It's kind of a circle. Must have $ to race. Money comes from MARKETING and selling your engineering.
    That said, when can I get my 700LC4. Looks like the perfect bike to put between the GS and the DRZ.
    Ciao, Dino
  4. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any ideas as to why what appears to be the fuel pipe is such a large bore and where it's going?

[​IMG]
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    If it's connected to the bottom of the fuel tank.. what else can it be?
  6. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Tim, you read my mind! I assume they have a composite conformal tank stashed down there somewhere. It could also be that they are trying to carry a bit of fuel in the larger line, though I doubt this and don't know the Baja rules on fuel, it is not an uncommon race trick with cars. I wonder if the main tank is custom, it looks a bit like the old 20l tanks. Man would I like to take this bike apart.
  7. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that's what I thought, but have you ever seen a fuel line with what would appear to be at least a 1 inch bore?

Check the fuel lines going to/from the pump on the far right of this Dakar Rallye bike - look pretty normal to me.

[​IMG]

Mack I wondered about an additional underseat tank but from the look of those vents just below the seat it would appear to be a large airbox under there.

edit I just looked at the pics again and there would appear to be a slight change in the colour of the black plastic of the mystery underseat airbox/tank so could it be a combination of airbox under the seat and extra tank below that?

As you say Mack, it would be fun to be let loose on that bike with an adjustable wrench and a hammer!!! :eek1
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:

Man would i like to PUT this Bike Togheter:ricky
  9. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    After you two guys are all done taking it appart and putting it back together... I'll just take the bike... M-kay? :D
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    you know what call me Crazy but i rather work on it that Ride it, Is not like I'm a exelent mecanic or fabricator but I have far more skills on that field that i have as a rider..with me a bike like that will be a waste,, like Giving Truffles to a Pig or something like that.

Maybe I'm on the right place, just not at the right time...

For now lets RIDE:ricky
  11. Mack

Oddometer:
    "Put the wrench down, and back away from the bike, with your hands in the air!"

KTim, we are both looking at the same area. Makes me think! I have always thought the handling and weight bias of the ADV, could be improved by installing a composite conformal tank in between the rear subframe rails, say 22L tank up front and 8liters in the subframe tank. Didn't KTM used to make a 20l (approx) "mini" rallye type tank? I have a second 28L tank that I bought to use on an EXC, but I really want a 18-22l tank, something ligher with less of a footprint, as I can make up the difference by adding a Baja designs rear tank, and/or a conformal tank.
  12. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    I think it was 18 or 20 litres. What are the rules for the class they were running? That may hold the answer. I can't explain the big fuel line, except to gain a bit of "unmeasured" capacity. I have never heard of vapor lock on these bikes, so insulation is out. Wondering... :ear
  13. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No wonder they didn't win... thats the only headlight they used ? What happened to the 2 huge CIBI lights the Honda guys usually run ?
    I read they had a chase helecopter the whole way?? (with lights i'm assuming)
  14. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's no Super Oscar, for sure. One of my brother's buddies had a nighttime stint on their XR650, and he says it is safer than daytime (as long as the lights work!) The HIDs really show the relief of the land better, and when the Class 8's are overtaking, you can anticipate their arrival more safely by their massive arrays of stadium lights :lol3 Apparently, SOP is just to pull off when they are near. I suppose the elite bikers don't worry about this. Is there an account of the race from the Katoomers perspective? :ear
  15. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    it sure looks like an extra tank. notice the fuel pump behind the rear master cylinder?.
    And the airbox/tailpiece sure looks like a modded DukeII unit :scratch
    that would leave space under it for at least a gallon+ of fuel.

[​IMG]
  16. Mack

Oddometer:
    I've been wondering where the battery is, might be a sealed unit on it's side in the rear fender area. I am considering a Duke/SMC airbox and downsized/relocated battery, but the battery location and durability of the battery box having me chasing my tail at present. (Not sure the Kehin needs the larger airbox as badly as the BST, but with engine mods I expect it will. This Baja bike seems to back that theory up, for best performance these highly tuned factory LC4's all seem to run dual exhausts, and large airboxes.
  17. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I've got a Super Oscar in the garage left over from my endurance racing days. Anybody need one ? Maybe I should sell it to them for their next attempt ?
  18. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Is that a vinyl external cover over the bottom of the "airbox"? Why?

I don't see a fuel pump behind the master cylinder, but I might be blind.

Mack, could you make the RH side cover bulge like the one on the exhaust side, and make a battery box there strong enough to make up for the vulnerable position? There might be other locations, but that one comes to mind. Then what? a '96 Duke airbox, and low dual exhausts?
  19. Mack

Oddometer:
    It looks like they nested the airbox into the fuel tank, no idea why. (Heck I'm not even sure it is a fuel tank.) The pump is behind the bend in the fuel hose.

Rapiti, same idea here on the battery. Cutting out the mount for the toolbox, should allow for an adequate battery to be mounted there.

My plan is purely hypothetical, depending on my job situation and selling a bike. If I persue a 60+hp engine, with good reliability, strong low end torque, and hopefully good throttle response (control). This will be my plan:

TwinAir supermoto air filter
    SMC/Duke airbox
    Kehin FCR-39
    Sommer Red Head porting, 32mm valves (4hp)
    Rallye cam
    Brisk plug
    Akrapovic ti system

Any airbox from a factory 17" rear wheel equiped KTM motard should work, as the battery is mounted above the rear tire on these bikes. *Excepting the LC4E SM

I think the single Akra system will be plenty adequate for a 625cc LC4 without the "uber" airbox of the 660 Rallye.

Another impediment to this project becoming a reality, is a surprising lust on my part, for the new Duke 990. Hopefully it will pass.....
  20. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    The Duke 990 is something else. However, I find myself drawn more to the 950SM, probably for reasons of perceived versatility. It seems like it would be way more fun than the 950Adv, on or offroad. Hell, for a couple of grand, you could probably have an Adventure kit and convert it for long trips. The Duke seems like it is into Tuono territory. How do they compare? :ear