Factory Baja LC4

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Norman Foley, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well thank you very much Mr Mack :nono would you please :stfu and stop posting lists like this

Mack wrote:
    TwinAir supermoto air filter
    SMC/Duke airbox
    Kehin FCR-39
    Sommer Red Head porting, 32mm valves (4hp)
    Rallye cam
    Brisk plug
    Akrapovic ti system
    :tb
    You've started some :pot now! I had just decided that I would not spend any more on mods to the 640 and then in a year or two go to a 950 and then you come up with a list like that - highly irresponsable (and just before Christmas too!)
  2. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Ktim, at least in your case, the exchange rate has not increased the cost of the Sommer "Red Head" by almost $100usd. (At these exchange rates, I am curious to see if the US bound 2005 LC4's become vaporware. Mate, it is time to visit the USofA.)

I think the porting job, possibly the larger valves, and Brisk plug would really pay off nicely, considering how one typically uses a bike like the ADV in Europe, and the fact that that you already have the Kehin FCR and full Akra system.

My biggest objection to my list of mods after the cost per hp factor, is the Akra ti system. It is the cornerstone for all the other mods, without it, the rest is a waste of time. The repairability issue of ti in Mexico, cost @ $1k usd, (likely higher as I want the Euro "Kehin" header) and the issues of spark arresting and db levels. Do you remember your header section part number, and how much clearance did you have between the accel pump and Akra?

How many miles on your ADV?
  3. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you guys sound like you know everything and sometimes I'm not so sure..what is up with the Sommer fetish:huh (I just want to know)

shops like EDCO have the best reputation,for example My Friend dale Lineweaver... yeah the guy (mecanic,engenier, builder and tuner ) that keep winning all the flat track races on a Husaberg from 98'(i believe) agains the whole KTM brigate takes his heads to be machine there..

one thing is sure I think Dale knows a thing or two

Oh,,also remenber "Racing" top end power is very porpuse build very focus and not exactlly the most flexible and friendlly.
    this guys at the track don't really care since the are top out from the starting line,personally I think for trail riding a more flexible powerband is far more useful, but then again I'm not even close to a paris dakar racer, when maybe some of guys are just waiting for scot Harden to call you and go to Race.
  5. Mack

Oddometer:
    Hey Ricky! No Sommer fetish here, I only order from them what I cannot get elsewhere. I am of the opinion, that there are many tuners out there, that are as good or better then Sommer, I just don't know of any that know KTM's as well. I am a bit concerned that if I had someone else port my LC4 head, I might end up with good peak hp numbers, but with a loss of low end and midrange. I can't back it up, but I think Sommer does a lot of work for dreamers, like me, and thus milder street based tuning, unless one pushes for the big hp. I just want 58-62hp, with good throttle control down low and a strong-midrange. (No bored and stroked hand grenade for me.) If I actually decide to port the head, I will seak out some US based tuners, and give your friend a call, before making a decision. One of are ADVrider brethern stationed in Germany had the Sommer port job done on his pre-high flow ADV, and he was very happy, seemed to feel it made more power everywhere.
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

cool I'm glad we are on the same page,,
    do you self a favor call dale at (510)223 9052..(no personal business exept for the fact that this guy is by far the best *mecanic*aka engenier that work on bikes) and see what his sugestion are,,,
    when he rebuild my Husky 610,,he sat me on a chair and ask me more questions about my riding style and my personal desires than my sicologist will..even better the bike came out of the shop exactlly the way he describe it,F^^ink perfect...:ricky
    I'm not saying he is the only choice but for sure one of the best,,read this little tread about Dale if more "Mecanics" were like him, the competicion will be far stiffer..

I also agree,,the SOMMER guys are great fellows with a million hours R&D research on KTM's so is pretty much a sure bet..just a expensive one(well dale is not exactlly cheap)

what ever you do, make sure to take some pictures,,I love to see all this trick shit taking place..
  7. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The set-up you're referring to sounds rather like the older KTM rally bikes, pic here (www.ktm-lc4.net)

You can buy a 18L tank for the LC4-E. Here's what looks like one on a MXC (http://www.griessermotosport.de)

Cheers.
  8. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    wow that Bike look really nice,,were can you find the headlight fairing?
    [​IMG]

ian sound like you know your stuff,,that for the links.:ricky
  10. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess the dealer http://www.griessermotosport.de would be a good place to start.

The good thing about being enthusiastic about your KTM is that you get to learn German as a side effect :nod
  11. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has got me thinking - have an 18 litre tank on my LC4-E but sometimes it's just not quite enough. I'd like a bit more fuel capacity but don't want to buy the bigger tank or fit side tanks. Is it possible to fit an underseat tank without too much modification?

Still can't see the pump...
  12. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    I found an 18 litre tank today. Wondering if I can leave my mask/fairing intact, and maybe velcro it to this tank. Way down on the priority list, but the price was right. Most times the 28L is a liability.
  13. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you have a LC4-engined Adventure. If so remember that the seat probably isn't compatible with the 'newer' style 18 litre tank - at least my seat has a V-shaped 'notch' in it where it mates with the tank.

However - a better choice for seat compatibility might be the older style 18 or 20 litre tank like the one shown here (anyone know the true capacity? - I seem to remember another contributor to this forum having one on an 620 RXC).

I say might because I don't know for sure - never needed to try it, but I went through all this with a dealer when I considered 'downsizing' the Adventure I used to own. But I was going to fit a single headlight without the fairing.
  14. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    This is the older style tank. It is almost as wide as the 28L tank, so isn't a gainer there. It appears to match up with the mask, but lacks the threaded inserts. It seems like a major to undo the lights, support frame, etc... and you still have a big pig. A partially filled 28L gets the weight lower, right?

Probably best to keep the original configuration on the land yacht, and buy a dirt bike. I do so enjoy the look on people's faces when this tanker with a fairing and turn signals passes them! I need to up the spring rates for offroading. WP 50 Extreme. Anybody got a set of .48s or .50s laying around. Any Husabergers out there? :wink:
  15. DevDel

DevDel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO,the tank itself is not a liability. If you run it part full, it actually carries the weight lower than most other options.

Its all the steel, wiring, gages, and headlights w/ subframe that make an ADV640 a liability. That's 20+ pounds, as high as you could possibly get it on the bike.

Dev

I type to slow, rapiti has seen the light! It's almost impossible to make the ADV into a supercross bike!
  16. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Well, there was this 620 SX aluminum subframe for $50 :rofl and if I take off the blinkers and buy a carbon fibre slip on, that should make me as fast as a CRF450, right?

Cheers Dev :thumb
  17. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mack, don't know the part number, just ordered the system from my dealer. AFAIK there was only one Akra set up available at the time - I didn't know that they did a different header for the Keihin. There is very little clearance between the Akra and the carb - 5mm at the most.

10,000 miles on it at the moment.
  18. Mack

Oddometer:
    I may be confused, pretty sure there are two different collectors. I had thought the difference was for Mikuni Vs. Keihin equiped bikes, but the two versions might be for the e-start Vs. kick only. Pageing KTMax to a white courtesy phone??
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I think this post needs to be in the index for all those FF muttering ceaselessly about "the best"... :augie
  20. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    sweet bike!!!:deal

firstworks