Factory manual '13 F700 GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by spurcap, Mar 22, 2020.

1. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a few things I want to do to my bike, and prefer to have the factory manual to the Haynes. I see it can be purchased on DVD for around $110-$120 which isn't too horrible. But from reading, it seems like you can register the software on up to 4 computers. Question: Is it legal to find a group of 4 people to share a licence? Seems like many would be interested at $30.... But haven't been able to figure out if that is legal or not.
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Remember that this is read by people across the world in many different jurisdictions, so correct answers will vary. Is the license being granted by a German company in Germany? In the USA, what are those specific terms you mention regarding four computers, and what is their intent? Are they four computers under a license granted to a dealership or independent garage for use by its mechanics? Is the license non-transferable? These are just a smattering of issues.

Bottom line: forget ADVrider for reliable legal advice.

The other issue is the unlikelihood you'll be caught.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    In the "old days" you bought a copy of the DVD ... it was $100+ and you got no updates or support.
    I just checked Sierra BMW where I bought my old one and ... they don't mention the new "registered" style...

Can you post a link that describes the new connected version?
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm pretty sure last time i registered mine it gave me an unlimited key count back, which i was a little surprised at.
  5. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't now find where I saw about the 4 users in the latest version. I just ordered it and it will take awhile as coming from Germany. Will let you know when I get it how the process works.
    JRWooden likes this.
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    From where did you order your copy?
  7. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered from Max BMW. Checked a few places and all were pretty much same price and needed to get send over from Germany anyway.
    JRWooden likes this.
  8. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my DVD and got it installed. After activating it says "Your license is unlimited. You can activate this serial number on as many PCs and as often as you like." ... Go figure.
    JRWooden likes this.
  9. dpike

Oddometer:
    make an iso of it and mount it as a drive.
    i remember being highly annoyed at the amount of times i tried to run it and the cd wasn't installed. keep it in your dropbox or whatever for easy install later too.
    JRWooden likes this.
  10. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good idea. By CD wasn't installed - do you mean you were on a computer that didn't have it installed or didn't have CD with you? Or is there a need to put the CD in the drive on a regular basis? Either way, having an ISO as a backup seems like a very smart idea.

I guess even though 'unlimited' there is still some control. If you posted your serial # on the internet, I expect they could disable your licences at least.... But was still very surprised to have unlimited licences for a $100 purchase. Maybe they changed this after the K7x was old enough? Who knows...
  11. dpike

Oddometer:
    i meant it wasn't in the drive bay. there's an option to install to computer, but i also remember it needed to check the cd then too which was a pain in the ass on a laptop that had a usb drive. mount the iso and done. maybe it was only because of updates which i'm sure are now long dead.
  12. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I installed it on my hard drive and was able to run update and got an update released in 2015, while the original content was 2014. So as you expected it hasn't been updated in the past 5 years.

I am able to run off computer without dvd.

Will also follow suggestion of saving iso and writing down product key incase I ever lose the physical disc. I bought an external USB DVD rw at bestbuy for $20 but I probably won't need it until I get a new computer. Side benefit is I can backup pictures and files on DVD RW in addition to my external hard drive as a cheap 2nd backup.

EDIT: I take it back. Apparently it only downloads one iteration of update at a time and you can go back over and over and keep getting updates. Did this until no more updates and ended up with a version last updated Feb 7, 2020...
    JRWooden likes this.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Kinda silly that they sent you a CD that was more than 5-years out of date ... :doh
  14. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the DVD was only made once and then all the updates are online but not 100 percent sure on that.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  15. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    That is the way "Updateable" CD based manuals have always worked... You get the original info on CD and you can bring it up to date once you register the copy online. This prevent piracy of the intellectual property and anyone who has a pirated copy will never be up to date.
    I bought a manual for My 2019 which covers both my 850 and my wife's 750 by just entering the VIN # whenever I need info. The first thing I was prompted to do was update the version.
    This is the way service manuals have worked for over a decade... nothing new.