Factory Reconditioned Tools???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABHooligan, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think about factory reconditioned tools?

Namely, I need a good miter saw to replace my mediocre miter saw. I'm not able to find a good local deal for a used one. I hate to buy new right now. CPO in N Ga. sells factory reconditioned for half the cost of new, and within a few bucks of the used C-list stuff I look at. I've never purchased recon tools before; do they actually overhaul them, or just clean them up and sell them again?
  2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bought a few recon tools and had good luck with them.
  3. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very good experiences with CPO Tools. I have a slew of Milwaukee M12 kit from them that was all bought "CPO". My last purchase, a cordless circular saw looked brand new. I've never had an issue with one of their tools and 9 times out of 10 it arrives in new packaging.
  4. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    i’ve been looking at doing the same thing on a refurb/recon dewalt drill

yes i used to own a KLR
  5. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CPO tools should comp me a room in Vegas, all the money I’ve spent with them. Reconditioned tools are my first choice.
    CA_Strom likes this.
  6. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CPO can be a good source for tools, but shop around and know your model numbers and retail prices before ordering.

For example, they have a refurbished Porter Cable pancake compressor for $99. I just bought the exact same model for $99 from Home Depot, BNIB.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  7. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still using a factory refurbed dewalt drill I bought over 20 years ago. Still working great. Batteries new rebuilding though.

IMO if it is factory reconditioned, or done so by some specialized center, then I would have no issue with it. In fact it is usually better than new. Any joe smoo can work on an assembly line slapping parts together. However the techs that do the refurb are generally a step above. One example are VW transmissions used in their Euro Van. They are known for blowing up, and the reason is said to be poor assembly of a few critical components.
    https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=28
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swing both ways and compare price point and warranty. Many refurbs are actually not repaired tools as such they can be returns or other sorts of histories. As for better than new, not so sure that applies as what matters is if it works and what's the option if it doesn't?
    I have also made some great deals on ebay from pawn shops.Also used on ebay from sellers who are tool pickers.
    Simply put, pawn shops don't stay in business if they cannot size up merchandise well and they also tend to wheel and deal on price too as turning over their money is the game there. Sadly there's a reality to pawned tools as many are pill heads/addicts buying new stuff on plastic then cashing it in-and also the stolen CC numbers criminals and the gift card tools they buy, etc..My best friend owned a pawn shop in the 1960's/70's and alcohol, not drugs as now, his main line of business.
    HD & other box stores do run decent sales at times but can be far above many other sellers day in, day out.
    Assembly lines can have quality checks not available to a recon center, I know this from working in industry. I get that point but not sure it's the best dividing line on refurb tools.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  9. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least around here, Lowes often matches online pricing and paying sales tax is worth the convenience of immediate possession.
  10. Garbln

Garbln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to know a guy that worked at a "factory reconditioning center" for a major brand name appliance Mfgr. he did small appliances. He said most were new items that had a problem out of the box and were returned in the original box & packing. Usually the problem was something miner like a pinched wire during assembly, a bad connection, or a bad switch. Most items had no or very little use so he had no problem with them. At that time some of the discount stores would run specials on an item way below cost "while supplys last" those were reconed items, all in like new packaging.
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a factory reconditioned Milwaukee 90 degree drill and a Senco PC1010N portable compressor.

Been really happy with both. They're both as new though the Milwaukee has a recon mark etched on handle.

Advice: Verify the recon warranty with manufacturer. CPO mis-advertised the Senco warranty. They offered me a partial refund to compensate and it was already 30% off sale, so it ended up an even better deal
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I bought a circular saw from CPO several years ago. Used it a bunch, worked great. Then it was stolen so I don't have it anymore. I'd buy from them again. They seem to be a kind of unique set up, doing what nobody else does at least on their scale. They have a large selection.
  13. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I have bought a lot of factory reconditioned tools and electronics over the years with no problems. Just mind the warranty and small print items.
  14. Type301

Type301 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I buy both for our shop. I don't know that we ever notice the difference, other than price.
    CA_Strom likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had CPO tools last so long I eventually replaced then just Because. Usually because newer models had significant improvements not from failure. CPO - Yes
    CA_Strom likes this.