FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gixxer2go, May 16, 2005.

1. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

<o:p> </o:p>

I feel my 950 could run better than it does, at present the jetting is standard with the clip moved to the third groove, a Sommer copy door and Akrapovic cans with the standard restrictors.

I find during my daily commute through town that the engine runs rough below 3500 rpm, it sounds as though it’s running on a little choke. So I thought I’d try a different approach as I know little about jetting and have a lathe in my workshop.

I made some different restrictor as seen in the picture. The smaller bore is the same as the restrictor, this enlarges to the full bore to give a smooth path for the escaping gases.

<o:p> </o:p>[​IMG]

This made changes to the way the bike ran and sounded. The first thing is the noise which is louder than I like. Around town the bike is a dream now (other than the noise) running smooth and clean and no snatching from closed to open throttle. On the open road things are not as good, opening the throttle wide at about 4000 rpm the engine feels down on power until 6000 rpm when there is a definite surge in power back to normal levels. Vibration from 4 to 6000 could be greater than normal.

Now I don’t know if this info is of interest to anybody but thought I’d pass it on.

P.S. How do I insert an image held on my HD?
  2. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pictures need to be hosted somewhere else. If you e-mail them to me, I will post them for you. natesaca@gmail.com.

Nate
  3. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rory,
    Do you think that 1.0-1.25 turns on the screws would give you the leaner idle you hoped for or is it fine at 1.5?
  4. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Hard to say. 1.5 works so well I think I will just leave it. As the pilot is the only change it is more important this time. My car idles at 10.8, so the bike is still lean-ish for an idle.
  5. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So tell me the differences you notice with the new setup vs. the FP #5 160/165 #38 pilot @ 1 turn!
  6. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the restrictor that XsilverGS made:

[​IMG]
  7. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your out-of-the-lab comment that the FP kit is rubbish is classic amateur wild guessing instead of hard data. I have been thru all of the variations on the stock changes to jetting. The cannisters are gone. Remus mufflers are on. The ONLY thing that cleared up my bottom end and mid-range soft spot was the FP needles, in addition with correct jetting for that particular needle. Your superciliousness and low class vileness about FP needles that definitely work has no place on a web site devoted to getting accurate information posted.
    Stu
  8. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Bullshit.......... Close the door before leaving:poser
  9. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    New settings.....

#45 @ .25 (Factory Pro)

2nd clip (stock)

142.5 & 145 (Factory Pro)

Everything else stock........ well almost...

295km per 20lt (big increase) X 3 tanks so far

idle = 13.4:1

light throttle cruse = 13.7 to 14:1

WOT windup = 12.7 to 13.2:1

Sudden snap open 11.8 then to 13s

Haven't been touring yet.....

This thing is so good to ride...... but difficult to resist lifting it :ricky
  10. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    WOW 142.5 and 145....

Your pilot (idle air-jet, #4 on page 8-6 of the manual?) is a #45 and your idle-air screw 1/4 turn out, right?

I'm guessing you're near sea level?
    Regardless. I'm @ 6500 ft and running rich.

I did a plug check and verified that at WOT the plugs are a bit "greasy" and a little darker than optimal....

I'm going to try your set up. I'm hoping it'll wake this thing up... it's such a pig!!!! :D :evil

COOL - winter evening projects are the ONLY thing that get me through the long winter nights.

I, for one, appreciate ALL your testing and posting F/A ratios. That's the real measurement we need.
    I noticed a little leaness at cruise throttle openings. Do you think running the needles at the 3rd clip would help that out.

PM if you desire.

THANKS!!!
  11. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about done. Mine is a little rich at the top but the rest is great. mileage is down a few mpg but my soft spot as I snap the throttle is gone. For me the fp recommendations have been very close and i've fooled around plenty. It's as strong as it has ever been! I wouldn't go back to stock for nothing. I think calling fp's stuff garbage has been premature.

fp 45 pilot
    2.5 turns
    fp needle in 2nd pos
    168 172 mains feels rich here
    ktm racing exhaust
    sommer airbox
    carbs vented outside/with filter between cyl
  12. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow I'm gone for a bit and look what has happened!
    Now I'm in a quandry, I was all ready to go 155/160 #45 @1.5 and Stock needles at 2.5! Looks like you got the idle down from the 11.7 which was a bit fat all else looks pretty decent. Is it that much of an improvement? Seems mileage is a bit down still off of what my friends are getting (40mpg) with the above set up. Think this setup is "The One"? :evil
  13. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    "THE ONE"?

I don't think there is such a thing.
  14. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With as many combinations as he has tried it's got to be close!

"The one" is going to be something that gets ~38 mpg average and allows you to wheelie at least 1/4 mile! :D
  15. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys continue to inspire me to tear my bike down, pluck the carbies apart, fiddle with little parts and slap it all back together again. :eek1
    Now that I have a setting I know I can go back to (even if it is a little rich) I think the next thing will be to go for gas mileage... of course hmmm... which wheel size setting do I use? The one that give me the correct mileage or the one that give me the correct speed? :Grin

I just hope the 142.5/145's came in the FP kit... and... oh yeah... 2nd clip from the top or bottom (I keep getting this confused depending upon who's posting)

Rick
  16. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    A lot of this depends on your riding style. If you're going to be running WOT and spinning around a track, the rich top end will probably do ya'. Work down from ultra rich until you are happy...

I tend to ride mine more as a commuter, with the occasional forays into the flora. When I originally went with the FP recommendations, I got bad gas mileage (<30 mpg :cry ) and more frequent plug changes. On this bike, that is a fair amount of work! Therefore, I am back to running stock mains (158/162), stock needles on the third position (always reference from the top [blunt] part of the needle, BTW) with the stock 42 pilots and the IMS at 2.0 turns out. I continue to have the well documented "flat" spot when coming up on the needle, and will do as K2M has suggested, reinstalling the FP 45 pilots ( :wave Hi Rory!).

FWIW, I have gone to the top of the spectrum with the FP kit and I was not pleased with the bigger mains, and was even less impressed with the FP needles- from both a quality and performance point of view :brow . The FP 45 pilots were probably fine, but after the less than satisfactory experience with the rest of the kit, I decided to re-install and tweak the stock bits. Once the 45 pilots are back in, I will work the IMS out from .25 turns until I get a good idle and good response off 1/8th throttle.

K2M's work with the wide band is invaluable, and he gives us all a good grounding in making decisions regarding carb set up.

I'll give this thread a bump in a few months... (jeebus, I hate taking off all that crashbar, fairing, tanks, airbox, fuse box relocating, blah, blah, blah... just to get to the juice drizzlers...:gerg ...wah-wah-wah...)

Oh, it will be a long winter...

...time to move to OZ :lol2 !
  17. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having read from one end to the other of this 15 page thread, I am curious...

Are most of you trying to just iron out the weak points of the standard set up, maiking the 950 run sweet, idle nice and reliably do what one would normally expect of 21st century motocycle?

....or are the majority after some nirvana of ball ripping power?
  18. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    Just the mention gives me goose bumps.... :evil
  19. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  20. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Throttle response feels like ball ripping power. I'm probably not up much on HP but it feels stronger. Front end pulls up easier and when I hit the throttle stuff happens faster at lower rpms too.

throttle response is what Ive gained but I'd pay a lot more for what Ive gained than what I paid for the factory pro. maybe the stock needles would work as well with the 45 pilots to clean up the mid throttle weakness, don't know.