FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gixxer2go, May 16, 2005.

1. daytonaKTM

daytonaKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What jets should I get? or if some offers a kit! These aren't that much diff from the Adv are they? Also, if more fuel is sent to the rear jug cause air cooled bikes heat soak the rear one! why do these liquid cooled motors need more to the rear!
  2. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the time being, leave the stock jets in place, raise the needles one position, and adjust the idle mixture screws to about 2 turns out from fully closed. If you're still surging, get rid of the canister and the SAS, and vent your carbs according to the factory TSB (click here for more info than you can stand).
  3. daytonaKTM

daytonaKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info. Wish I'd have checked back sooner! Too hot in the garage now, but Will give this a try tomorrow. I got the feeling that what worked for the Adv or SE wouldn't on the SM for some reason. Thanks
  4. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    the SM is pretty much the same as the ADV and SE to tune. The exhaust does change things a little. Other than that, they are pretty much exactly the same.
  5. daytonaKTM

daytonaKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you kind sir! Nice package U offer!!! I'm finding fuel quality makes a huge diff. No ryme or reason with gas anymore. The best it ran was with a tank of Chavezez 94oct for christ sake! Last tank was chevron ethel, it surged all the way back home. :freaky
  6. Marko888

Marko888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just popped in here, and haven't read the whole thread, but feel a need to back up the FP kit. I apologize in advance if I'm missing the point...just want to share my good experience.

This is what I did on my 2006 950 ADV

-Removed the charcoal canister
    -Removed the Secondary Air System and plugged the spigots on the cylinders
    -Simplified the fuel tank venting
    -Installed the Wings Ti cans w/o restrictors
    -Installed the Factory Pro jet kit

I installed a first guess then ran it on a dyno with O2 analyzer, which showed us I was waaay lean on the mains, agreeing with my own butt dyno, but too rich on the needles. I called FP for advice, and they suggested a couple things. Next attempt was to change it as per FP suggestions, which is where it has been now for over a year.

165/170 main jets, FP needles with clip 2<SUP>nd</SUP> from top, 45 pilot jets, AS at 1.25 turns out. It runs quite good. Only thing I’ll fine tune at next service is the AS settings, maybe go in an 1/8 turn.

With this setup, I have gotten as high as 53mpg cruising on Canada's Hwy 1 at 65mph, but this drops to around 40mpg when in a serious hurry, such as when trying to escape pursuing sport bikes! ha ha. The bike doesn't pop or fart, it just goes. It's smooth for putting around in the dirt, and it rips when I want to go as fast as I can on pavement, pulling hard to the limiter.

So, I think the FP kit is good. The trouble is, no two bikes require exactly the same setup, due to riding style, fuel quality, elevation, temperature, humidity, current valve clearances and so on. Jetting is an inexact science, meaning there is no one fits-all solution. The 950 is perhaps worse than most to dial in, since the Keihin's seem to be pretty fussy.

cheers
  7. kennyd

kennyd kennyd

Oddometer:
    marko add our remote low speed fuel screws to optimize settings with the tanks on and the engine hot!! in stock now! www.alternatecycle.com
  8. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    I have the remote fuel screws, Head2Wind jet kit, prefilter. Every thing I could to make the bike run like it should. Some times it would run ok. But most of the time it would not run like it use to. I checked and recheck, trying to find the problem. One day I tryed Lucas fuel treatment in it and now the bike runs like it got race gas in it. So now I run it in all my bikes and my truck with the some results. Along with ethanol stabilizer on all the small motors. I have friends that are using it to with the same results.
    Any way, I thought I just throw that out there. Do with it what you like.
  9. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    This might be a dumb question.

I've been riding, racing, wrenching and generally fucking with motorcycles since about 1971 or so. I've rejetted countless bikes, and have never really had any issues that I couldn't work through, once I learnt (he said learnt) the basics. One thing I've noticed here on the KTM site and other KTM sites, mainly the big twins, is they alter the float height, and also, fuck with the air filter, pre filter, snorkel, different filters etc. Now in my past lives, you set the float height to the standard setting, and make sure it's right. And leave it there. Same with the filter, you get a good filter on there, one that is flowing right, filtering air correctly, and run with that. Now here, I see guys recommending changing float heights for change mixtures, adding pre filters, dust socks, removing covers and just, in my opinion, adding too many variables to the equation.

It seems like raising the float to cover a lean condition somewhere is sort of chasing your tail. Same with adding or removing covers on the filter or snorkel, to change your mixture. Am I crazy thinking this, or am I stuck in the 70s?
  10. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO the bike is almost - if not - spot on out of the box. At least the carbs/air filter part. So I guess people are mainly just bored, or want to try to squeeze out 2-3 more HP/Nm. (or give her some bling? - Okay, the prefilter is a good idea if someone rides in the desert all the time, as the oem paper filter is pricey for everyday changing..)

I guess it's mostly psychological though.. When I had a non carb related issue (FP was failing), but I thought it was a carb problem, I tried a lot of settings for the carbs, but couldn't really feel any difference. Well.. altering the needle position gave me -100km/refuels.. so my wallet could feel it, but the behaviour of the bike and throttle basicly remained the same:D

Going to FCR's are a different story.. that would surely change the bikes characteristics.. But playing around with the CVs just doesn't make any sense to me.. Lots of work (you need to disassemble half of the bike all the time - like turning 1/8 turn on the IMS and see if anything has changed) with no to little benefits..
  11. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I see your point Sumi, but, I've never changed air filter set ups, such as adding or removing the prefilter, to change the mixture characteristics. I've seen specific advise to jetting questions, to change the prefilter to richen things up, or lean them out, raise or lower the float height for the same thing. This is something I've never done before...and Sumi, you are absolutely right about having to take half the damn bike apart to get to the carbs. I wish it was injected. But it's not. It's a 950 with Factory Pro jetting kit and a CPR filter set up, and it's close enough, I'm not fucking with it any more. Runs good. Does really good wheelies too.
  12. 406Blues

406Blues Roundabout, paths less traveled, AKA 406Blues

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 ADV S with FMF Q4s SAS removed, currently running a BMC and UNI pre filters, switching to a Rottweiler intake, my question is can I just change the Main jets, adjust the needle and float levels, will be installing flex jets for IMS?
  13. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I have a 2006 ADV S with FMF Q4s SAS removed, currently running a BMC and UNI pre filters, switching to a Rottweiler intake, my question is can I just change the Main jets, adjust the needle and float levels, will be installing flex jets for IMS?"

178 175 mains will be a good start
    42 pilots
    Stock needles on 2nd
    40 80 50 airjets
    3-4mm floats with carbs tilted upside down.

Pilots needles and airjets are something you set and forget.
    Float height and mains you have to ride and see what works best.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870579&page=67
  14. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    The quick answer is: Yes
  15. 406Blues

Oddometer:
    I live at 300ft going to go with 172/168 does this stagger still aply with an open air box, or should I start at 172/172?
  16. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Opinions vary wildly on that.
    Without a wideband on front and rear to read it you won't know for your engine.
    There is a theme that the engineers did actually know something and that the one person I know of that has used a wideband on both front and rear has staggered jets.
  17. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    Based upon my experience tuning these engines with a open filter, 172 main will work but may be a little on the lean side, especially when its cool/cold. I tend to go 175/178 out here in cool/wet PNW. It will run 172 mains, and may not show issues... heck, back when I was chasing the prefilter jetting, I ran 138/140 mains (granted with OEM airbox/paper filter/foam prefilter)... it ran it and did OK with it, but it ran warm and tended to have other 'challenges'. In general, these engines do not respond well to 'lean' or edge of lean tuning, then get really 'sharp' and twitchy... jerky.
  18. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have 10% ethanol crap fuel up there like we do in California?
  19. 406Blues

Oddometer:
    Yes, but many places you can still get 100% gas no ethanol.
  20. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    Ironically at a greater than 'premium' cost too.... considering the cost of making fuel grade ethanol, the addition of that cost at a 'up to 10% of volume' one would think that 'pure' gasoline that is not ethanol dosed would be less.... but it probably has to do with massive subsidies from the state/fed gov.

Personally I have not been able to notice a difference between the fuels when I run it in my bike or my car... maybe a little better fuel range/consumption rate, but power and quality or run?.... seems to be pretty darn close.