FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gixxer2go, May 16, 2005.

1. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    Completely disassembled the rear carb adjusted rear float from 2.2 to 3.2 front float was at 2.9 so left it alone, cleaned previously removed plug in rear cylinder and installed. Reassemble bike and it runs fantastic. Let’s see if it lasts more than 3 weeks this time
  2. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    Update. 4 weeks now and the bike still runs perfect. I’ll raise the bar to the Spring to decide if it’s permentaly fixed.

3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a 950 that lived in California. 'All stock', 'no mods.' Ran terrible, started without the choke it was very rich, but seemed like it was clogged too. Took it apart and everything was sort of clean, no jets were clogged. When I re-assembled it, I realized the 160 jet was in the front and the 155 was in the rear. (opposite of spec) You suppose that would make a difference?
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, definitely! Get a bung welded into both headers for an AFR meter... beg, borrow, buy a meter as they aren’t expensive... instant display of where the carbs / jetting is... rich or lean and where!
    Adjust / tune as necessary.

Then ride the ‘Hand of God’ (copyright: Mousitsas)
  5. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    You don't know the first thing about the EC997 dyno Factory Pro has used for years developing needles and arriving with jetting/ECU maps; it's one of the very few that DO load the engine with resistance, something that is extremely important on constant vacuum (CV) carbs.

Old post but disinformation & ignorance lingers
    braaap! likes this.
  6. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I dont think fp needles are far superior than the stock needles.
    Stock needles are lean on thein initial part and rich above 1/2 throttle. Just as the fp needles are. Fp needles seem to be sliiiiiightly more refined on that initial part and work better with 45 pilots delivering slightly more fuel in the area where the stock needles dont.

Definitely not perfect, and under no case, over engineered. I dont believe that they spent too much time developing those needles. If they did they would end up with a less tapered needle.
    I am going to experiment with other needles offered by keihin this year. I hope I would end up with the ideal needle for that engine.

Surely, i believe they have the know how (or at least I hope so). Many years in the industry, and have gained a lot of experience and expertise. But I dont believe they invested time and money for their kits. It seems that they just ended up to a needle profile and jetting that derived from exoerience and not actual testing. Most if the bikes (lc8 included) are lean on their initial part for emission purposes and richer on the top end with small mains (possibly to prevent engine damage???). And they just got a needle that they guessed it could work right. Even the jettings they suggest are totally shitty and work by no means.
    braaap!, Manakau.KTM and desmorado like this.
  7. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    I made no claims about "far superior". I was speaking to the dyno type used when testing.

I was living in San Francisco when Marc Salvisberg was taking Wheelsmith Racing to the next level (Factory Pro). My friend was writing the code (UC Berkeley student) for the operator interface and have spent so many hours (late nights too) with him I should have been on the payroll (:rofl)

Each needle is tested on, with, using the actual motorcycles the needles are being designed for. Customer bikes, friends & family, and even manufacturers factory race teams (shop is close to Sears Point/Infineon/etc) were and are used. Stock air systems (hey it IS California) and exhausts to full-zoot, Marc knows a great deal about the intricacies of carbs... that simple A/F ratios as a target do not equate to rideability, for one.

Finding equipment to make the needles was its own issue, having a lathe in a machine shop does not mean they can be produced with precision. At the time I was there EFI on motorcycles was just beginning to reach the sales room floor, and having a resource like him nearby was a Godsend.

Seeing Honda, Suzuki, Fast by Ferrari team semi trailers in the parking lot and near-works bikes on his dyno was rewarding to all around

To be clear, I have no dog in the fight, and I am running OEM needles with jet changes alone. Just wanted OC readers to know they aren't "guessed at" as some have said above

I've had enough of these bikes apart, and fooled with the jetting so much to know that the LC8 doesn't jet easily with an out-of-the-box kit, or suggestions from someone with the "same" bike/modifications (only been reading OC posts for ten years now!). It's been frustrating at times; being on the other side of the country now means I got it close enough to good/rideable and let it be
  8. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    As a new owner of an SE who had dabbled with Keihin CV carbs on other bikes and had minor problems with jetting and performance, had intake and exhaust mods, FP needles, someone who posted above contributed much in the way of actual real world experience and advice to others on this forum about their setups. Thanks to them I only had to remove my carbs 3 times, make minor changes and adjustments and my SE is the rocketship I dreamed of. It starts flawlessly in the cold, gets 35-45 mpg, is smooth as butter from idle to stupid fast. I haven't had it at 10,000 feet yet but all my other CV experiences were good there once I got them sorted. I didn't have to spend time with AFR or a Dyno or pay someone it only took part of a day dicking around in the garage.

I look forward to their findings with stock needles. I don't know how much longer I can get parts like CV diaphragms and dual enrichment cable setups and may have to come up with some other things in the future. I may even play with TPS and cold enrichment or choke on other carbs if I have to but I'm set for now.