FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gixxer2go, May 16, 2005.

1. Killer Whale KTM

Killer Whale KTM Life is the adventure!

Oddometer:
    Is nobody running the 45 pilot ?? Do ya'll think that will create a rich "bottom"?
    Thanks
    Killer Whale KTM
  2. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    "As you pull away from a stop she see's 11.8 > 12.5"

Has been corrected to 10.8 > 12.5

"6-10:1 in your post earlier"
    That's what the book says..... but no way!!! you want a clean idle. That book is written for racing cars.... they don't have to cope with city traffic.

"Seems fat 14-16:1 in post."
    It can't be done without making the bike undrivable.

I have tried everything.... every ratio ...... and at last arrived at the perfect settings....... at the end of the day..... the only thing that matters is how it feels to ride..... My bike is a dream to ride.... that's
    it....... nothing else matters.

I have figured out how to install a paper fuel filter, and will post soon.

There is a little 05 ec300 GasGas that awaits my attention. It's time for me to move on..... Good luck you guys. I will keep lurking in case you need any real help.

PS Seems like every time i glance at the wideband I see 12.5 : 1
  3. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "6-10:1 in your post earlier"
    That's what the book says..... but no way!!! you want a clean idle. That book is written for racing cars.... they don't have to cope with city traffic.

Okay but, do you think a half turn out would hurt anything? Maybe make starting a bit easier?

[the only thing that matters is how it feels to ride..... My bike is a dream to ride.... that's it....... nothing else matters.

I agree that's the real test. I'll be curious to see how fuel consumption is for you. Thanks again for all of your hard work!!! :freaky
  4. dschoppe

dschoppe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K2m, just wondering if you had to modify your header pipe to fit the lambda sensor, or did you find one that screws into the existing ports on the headers?

Thanks,
    Don
  5. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read my results with using #45, but they are just JMHO.
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by K2m
    Yep ... the snap is still there, also that lite feel to the front wheel approaching red line.

The smallest pilot factory make in the 78 series jets is #38 I was thinking of contacting Marc Salvisberg to see if he could supply #36 & #34. At the same time order a #158 & #162 mains. That will give me some more options in the future. Marc's a great guy.... very helpful. When I get some feedback from other LC8 owners on this set up I will discus these jetting changes with him.

Sorry for the confusion KATOUM, you must read the posts as a work in progress. The only settings that matter are the last ones. Earlier posts are a record of how I got there. When you change one thing it has an affect everywhere. Just when you have it sussed..... it does the opposite.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    While I tried the #45 pilot again today and it a total failure in my opinion. Can not a decent steady idle at anything past .5 turn out. Switched back to #42 and my old setting of 1.75 turns out no longer works. With a analyser I going by ear. What happens is I turn in till maximum rpm and then out .25-.50 turns. This setting seems to best I can achieve with the FP needle in #4 position. Throttle hangs of throttle blip for a few seconds then drops about 150 rpm and idle not to bad. What are your aural findings when you adjust the mixture with the bike running?
    I suspect that my FP #45's are much larger than stamped, but no way to check as I have no jet drills.
    <!-- / message -->
  6. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
  7. dschoppe

dschoppe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Nice installation. I just wish a smaller sensor was available to make this a plug-n-play operation with the existing ports in the headers. Welding the bung is more modification than I want to do, especially since I probably would not leave the wideband connected all the time.

Thanks,
    Don

EDIT:
    Well I did a bit of poking around, and it seems you can buy an adapter to take readings in the tip of the exhaust, provided you don't have a CAT and your exhaust opening is large enough. Innovatemotorsports also sells what looks to be a nice A/F meter kit, the LM-1:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16141&cat=250&page=2
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=248
  8. Jeepboy

Jeepboy Roost

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the part number or designation for the 45 pilot jet? I'd like to try them and since I've already changed my main jets and raised the needles I don't want to buy the FP kit to get the pilot jets.
  9. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can order individual jets from Factory Pro, think they are $5.95 each. Just recieved my #40's and #38's.

They are the Y78 Pilot jets.
  10. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Reports for tuners is that the LM1 is an excellent unit. I would be a little reticent to do it from the end because of the crossover pipe, and the different main jet sizes. It may be worth checking the cost of a replacement header pipe, and compare costs. Any one that should weld bungs on I would suggest welding 2 together so as to keep the WB from protruding into this small exhaust area.

Welcome to the world of WB tuning. A little taste of WB user groups
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=656&highlight=carburetor

A performance car would have 2.5 > 3 inch exhaust exit. Professional tuners stick it up the rear using $3000+ units, but I speculate as I have never tried a rear entry. :D

Tony try the #38 @ 1 turn first. My bike starts the way a bike should start. A bike that starts without choke when cold is way to rich. Setting the Co (KTMAX) would be the best way to Finnish the job.
  11. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    ...and very educational (really :thumb) but sooner or later you just have to ride the darn thing!

Anyway--- Got the stock mains back in the carbs, stock needles on the third clip from top, pilots back to stock 42's and the screws at 2.5 turns (not stock :evil ). Well, the bottom end is sorta okay. May need to lean it out a bit, but I'll let the riding quality determine the urgency of the adjustment.

Mid to WOT is just fine for me. Could it be better? Sure! But this will take a lot of testing, as all bikes are different, cams wear differently and compression varies with ring sealing and valve seat integrity. I am very happy with the mains at stock 158/162.

Good cruising so far...

More later. Time to ride:ricky !
  12. d37rider

d37rider Love those twins!

Oddometer:
    I've been watching this thread from the beginning because of my own carb issues. And I can finally say that after removing and changing and checking my carb settings at least 20 times I am thouroughly satisfied with the following settings. I really do appreciate as well as others, I'm sure. Of all of your testings, findings, results and more importantly you posts.
    Thanks

Pipes: Leo Vince S2's open
    Air screw: 2 1/2
    Pilot: 42
    Needle: middle, 3rd from top (stock needle!)
    Mains: 160 front 165 rear
    Air box mod: home made (cut like sommer, as seen in other posts)
    Cannister stuff: Gone
    SAS: Gone

Oh yeah: carb vents removed! Nothing at all. I had alot of surging during my testing and every time I put them on and or change the length, it was still there. And every time I removed them all together it ran perfect!

:thumb
  13. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    I have a question, should the air screws be set differently between the fore and aft cylinders? The front at 2.25 and the rear at 2.5 or something like that? Just curious.
  14. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's almost exactly my same setup except I have the stock exhaust with the catcon removed. And I still have surging...now I know exactly what I should try next! Thanks!
  15. d37rider

d37rider Love those twins!

Oddometer:

Just set it forget it!

Let GO!!!!!!!! of the edge of the pool, man!

To anwser your question, you would need one of the gas analizer's which most folks don't have. :thumb
  16. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First Report on K2m settings!

Well I'm getting quicker as this is my second time in and I got it all done in about 3 hours start to finish (that was with taking off and on the crash bars)! :huh

Lit it off on the choke for about 30 seconds and let it warm up by going around the block and then set my idle down to about 1300.

Took a little longer loop around the neighborhood and seems good. Idle is steady, rounded a corner and gassed it the rear dug in and pulled the front off the ground while I was leaned over! :D

Seems pretty seemless. Pulled decent wheelies. Have to do a real ride on it to feel the rolling mid-range and the top end charge. Seems controlled! Not sure if the mid-range is as strong but, maybe that's because it's more linear or around the block isn't the best test! :freaky

More later!
  17. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    :D Good one :beer
  18. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The settings you're using are....:lurk

19. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
  20. Jeepboy

Jeepboy Roost

Oddometer:
    I've noticed not many run the 45 pilot, but I believe it is just what I need. I have had idle surging problems regardless of where I set the fuel mixture screws. This morning I reinstalled the Remus silencer inserts and the bike idles so smooth. The revs don't hang up anymore, just drops down to 1400rpm and sits there. My thoughts are the increased backpressure from the inserts has reduced the amount of fuel required at idle thus resulting in a better mixture and idle quality. However, could the resulting smooth idle be just the result of increased backpressure?