FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gixxer2go, May 16, 2005.

1. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    As a potential 950 buyer I find all this very interesting. But, what I really want to know is, who has fitted two Keihin FCR41's as a more "drastic" fix???
  3. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    K2m,

Any mileage reports yet?

I'm going into the belly of the beast (Downtown Los Angeles) on Thursday and should have a good read on it by then!
  4. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Happened last night... first sign of the light on a long downhill was at 216km

Stayed on at 236km. Should be good for 300km on this first tank.

This is a combination of city and WOT testing so it is comparable with the last 3 or 4 tanks, but is not what you would expect touring.

In the past I have gotten 44 (USA) mpg two up mostly speed limit touring. This is comparable to Gixxer2go. This would be the real test.

I would say that this new setup is no better, and more importantly, no worse than normal consumption.

As a general comment to everyone..... While the HP figures on our bike are nothing special it was built to win a long desert race. The torque spread, the way this bike develops power, the way this bike gets up and go's, is nothing short of breathtaking. Every time I ride this thing it puts a big smile on my dile.... It does this by efficiently shoving huge amounts of air in to the air compressor (motor). The volumetric efficiency (VE) of this motor is outstanding. Having this in mind we must also add petrol to all this air in a quantity that allows the bike to be ridden in a controlled manner. If good fuel consumption is a priority buy a bike with less VE, less torque spread ect.
  5. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I get anywhere near 40 mpg from this setup I'll be more than happy!

Before the FP kit I was at #3 Stock needles 155/160 #42 and 1.75 turns with stock cans and got about 38 mpg.

With the FP kit @ #2 clip 175/180 #45 and 2.5 turns with FMF's I was getting 30 mpg.

Can't wait to give it the full test.
  6. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a friend of mine with a 950 as well, and I went for an afternoon run.

Here are my impressions:

We did 116 miles. 40 freeway drone at 85 mph. 20 on hardpack dirt roads in 2nd and 3rd gear at about 35-45 mph and slower in some sections. The other 56 or so miles doing our best sportbike impressions in the canyons and high speed sweepers at 3/4 to WOT all the time. Got 32.2 mpg.
    Thought the mid range was down a bit from the last FP setup but, I've been riding my GSX-R1000 for the last two weeks so everything seems slow.
    I think the midrange is pretty good if not a little shy of the last setting. Bike idles perfect. We switched bikes for a bit and I noticed once when my friend rung my bike out it smoked for a moment but, didn't do it again.
    His set up is Stock Needles #3, 155/160 #42 pilot and something like 2 turns out and FMF pipes like mine.
    We felt that the bikes were pretty close. Mine might have a slight edge, but not much. The throttle control is good and smooth. He thought mine might be slightly more abrupt at 0-1/8 throttle but only just and a little fluffy around 7k rpm. I ran throught a corner at 7k and turned open the throttle and it seemed to pull pretty hard and clean so not sure what that was about.
    So far, so good. Tomorrow will be 4-1/2 hours of commute to and from LA so we'll see how this does economy wise now that I put the whip to it all day! :D

Update: Did 182 miles on a tank and got 38 mpg. Not too bad. about 30 miles or so was lane splitting at 25-45 mph and the rest was highway cruising at 80 mph.
  7. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Tony ....Thank you for your excellent report. So good that you are able to compare to the stock on the 3rd clip.

It sounds to me that your float level might not be at 2.1, and that is why you are just missing that mid range hit, and other things.......

I would suggest getting, if you don't have, some 158 & 162 mains.

Go back in there and check that the float level is between 2 > 2.2

If it is try those mains. Think that I might get some also. :nod
  8. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    I swapped out the 45 tooth gear back to the stock 42, and have run two tanks at about 38 mpg. (16 tooth counter) Mostly around 70 mph.

To review my settings:

158/162 Mains;
    42 Pilot;
    Stock needle at the third clip;
    2.5 turns out on the screws;
    Sommer-style air box mod.

Additionally, the carbs are vented to the underside of the engine. I also synchronized the plates.

Runs good but a very slight, and occasional, hesitation right off idle. I'll put the screws in a quarter turn at a time, later. I may even pay to have the exhaust gas analyzed, and set accordingly.

More riding!
  9. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

To be honest I don't know where my floats are set, they are stock (whatever that is) and I've been careful not to mess with them. I wouldn't say that the midrange isn't there because it does have a good mid range pull. I just can't say difinitively that it's better/as good as it was at that part. The bike feels a little less "Free spinning" for lack of a better term. It feels as though it could use a little more fuel cruising at 5k rpm. Maybe I'm just imaging things? :huh
    Might have 158 & 162 if they came in the kit. That's down a bit from the current 160/165! What are you thinking here? :ear
  10. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Redflash....... The #40 pilot @ 2 turns would work well with that setup
  11. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    If your floats are set at 2.1 then it gives you something to try. Float height is critical to AFR. If the height is different then everything is different.
  12. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    K2M suggested:

Thanks. I'll try that setup after I get back from my western US trip. (I live in the central part!)
  13. Killer Whale KTM

Killer Whale KTM Life is the adventure!

Oddometer:
    Katoum,
    Are you using the Sommer air box mod ? I think I will try your settings. And vent my carbs out the bottom with a 90o elbow perhaps with some screen in it to help with buffeting.
    Thanks to you and all who have shared !!
    Killer Whale KTM
  14. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Killer Whale.... You will find that the #42 pilot will will be to rich in the transition from Idle > pilot (this is the first part of the throttle) in combination with the FP on #4.

FP's #40 pilot @ < 1 turn could be a better choice.:nod
  15. Killer Whale KTM

Oddometer:
    Thanks k2m,
    Problem is I have no #40.I suppose I could order one. What would you try with the 42 ? Im runing the 45 now. I'm also using the FP 170-175 at #2 notch with the air box mod.Not an ideal set up,not bad though.
    Since reading this entire thread I have pretty much determined that the 2 best settings are; Fp smaller mains 160 range on high notchs (4) low air screw openings ...or ...stock mains and neddles at 3rd notch around 2 1/2 on the air screw. Seems like two ways to get to the same solution. Would you agree ?
    Thanks
    Killer Whale KTM
  16. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2.5 would be too much with the stock mains and needles at #3. Between 1.75 and 2.0 is right with the #42 pilot.
  17. Killer Whale KTM

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    Thanks to all of you that shared your knowledge and opinions.Any time we can cut down the number of times we have to totally disassemble the 950 it's a big help !! The recent high humidity here in the mountians of north Georgia lead me to believe my settings were off. The mid-range needed help and my mileage was poor. OLD =170,175 FPon 2nd notch, 45 pilot 2 3/4 turns on the air screw. NEW=160,165 FP 4th notch,42 pilot 1 1/4 turns on the air screw.WAY better !! Midrange is much better,top end about the same and the bottom might be a little rich but it starts good.Maybe more info after more riding.
    Thanks again
    Killer Whale KTM
  18. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    wsmc99 correctly noted :brow :

Agreed! I am at 2.5 turns out with stock mains, pilot, and needle on the third clip. Too much hesitation coming up off the closed throttle. I'll drive 'em back in to 2 turns out, next time in (wow, that's a lot of danglin' prepositions :wink: !)

Dang, I need a gas analyzer...

:photog
  19. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been out riding for the last week. I use the Sommer mod, but cannot speak as to the effectiveness. It was simply to long ago and to many changes since.
    I'm currently using the FP in #4 with 165-170 mains, and stock #42 pilot at 1.25 turns out. I find this setup works nice for my riding style. I prefer a slightly rich bottom end as it lugs down low with less tendancy to stall in the technical shit. I know that this is still rich because of the reponse I have on a cold motor.
    The transition from from idle thru the middle is very linear allowing me to use lower rpms in any given gear for better traction control in the dirt.
    I may try leaning the mains a little more in the distant future, but for now I'm quite happy with the setup, and can live with the 10-15% fuel increase over stock.
    I have had the opportunity to take a look at many intake tracts over the past year and can say that my Intake valves and plug readings are no better or worse than anyone else's. I can also report that no two 950's I have ridden feel the same at the throttle grip, but one quickly adjusts to the subtle changes offered by different jetting setups. I do not think at this point there is such a thing as the perfect setup, as most riders have a slightly different view on their requirements and this is at the very best, subjective. One thing is for sure is that all these 950's ROCK. :beer
  20. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been chasing the perfect setup lately and have been using the quick throttle response off of idle to help. Seems that when I wick this thing to do a wheelie at about 3k, it waits a second. Then about 5k the front comes of the ground. It does the same thing at 5k,, there is a hesitation from close throttle. I thought this was a jetting deal but no matter what I do with needle or idle circuit it's still there. Easy to get used to but I'm just wondering if I'm chasing a ghost? maybe its just these vaccuum carbs have a lag?

should I just get used to the throttle lag?

My jetting ends up back at stock needle/3 stock pilot and mains, 2.75 turns out on air screws. KTM racing exhaust, sommer airbox mod.

thanks!