Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Lutarious

Lutarious Renaissance Man

Oddometer:
    Im glad im reading about your trip and not sailing a ship that you are navigating. Denver in January?
    ExplorerFrog and goodcat like this.
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

Hey Sparks
    If I were in your shoes, I'd be making a B-line straight south ASAP!!!!!

No ice down here

Safe travels mate
  3. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talk to me about the rain. Haha. Didn't know how heavy it could be but I imagine this freezing rain added a few pounds to the already heavy girl.
    Didn't get any shots of myself today. Which is alright. Every stop I made people were stopping to tell me about how terrible the weather was up ahead. Very concerned folks but they were all very kind and wished that I stayed warm. No heated gear. Just wool base top and bottom. Wool shirt socks and underwear. Down jacket and somewhat waterproof riding gear. Needed to break the layer of ice off my jacket and gloves before I could get into the gas station to take a much needed bathroom break. Stopped for lots of coffee and tea along the road today. Anything to get some warmth in the bones.
    Stopped for another night in a motel. Needed to do some gear maintenance. Helmet pinlock wasn't working so well. Pulled it off tonight to find a very tiny gap that was letting the moisture in. Spent a majority of the day tensed up like mad because I couldn't ride with my glasses on. Fog issue. And when I removed them I still couldn't see because the visor was fogging badly. Was watching the temp gauge and 30-31 without being able to see was fairly terrible. Can't begin to explain how great it felt to see the temp climbing to a blistering 38.3F. When the ice melted off my bike and jacket it pooled up nicely in my crotch and found a way through my layers to pickle my balls and send them running. Through the zipper I imagine. One more day to Denver and I'm sending out the messages to arrange for a place to stay. After Woody's in Denver it's a straight shot south and then west to California. Ready for some warmth.

Attached Files:

4. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice start. Be careful out there. I've seen people go down on ice, it happens quick. Be careful of shady corners in the am.

Eric
    Project Mayhem and goodcat like this.
  5. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Holyshit!! Dude, you've got cajones...ice ain't gonna hurt them! I can't imagine the stress you tolerated today. Hope it's drier tomorrow for you.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  6. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric. I am usually too slow in the morning to see any of the bad road conditions early in the day. Played it safe today and was only riding when the roads were wet and not frozen. Barely skirted that ice storm but so far so good.
    Foiler and JHpowderhound like this.
  7. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    You hooked me Sparks. I'm checking the weather on your route today and it would be charitable to say it sucks - again. I'm guessing you overnighted in Raton, N.M.?
  8. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    I wish I was that far north. I'm only in Santa Rosa. Raining here and no ice. Which is good. I'm thinking I'm about 6-7 hours away via i25. That road should be well clear with the traffic constantly moving over it. I hate riding interstates but it's looking like my best option for getting north today.
  9. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Interstate will have to do. Stay warm, the elevations get high.
  10. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm putting on some extra layers today. I wasn't too cold yesterday but I also didn't get very far north and the elevations were low. Would have gone up a bit further but the forecast was showing lots of ice north of my route.
  11. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you had gotten underway. Enjoyed having coffee, will follow your RR with some envy although not so much right now. I cannot imagine worse than freezing rain. Be careful at higher elevations, a couple of the most exciting seconds of my life was riding up into the WV mountains in March on what started as a warmish day.
  12. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sanibel, was great to meet up with you and talk adventure. Loading up the bike now and getting myself ready for the cold day. Feeling good about my pack list being that I'm prepared for almost any weather and have experienced the full spectrum since leaving Florida. One more nasty leg of this trip and then it should be smooth sailing to California.
  13. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all forward progress is in hold. Waiting out the weather in a rest area on I25. Too much snow to get anywhere safely right now.
    10ecjed and Foiler like this.
  14. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Did you know it snows in January in parts of North America? :imaposer

Load your bike on a truck and get the Fuck outta there!!!! :fpalm
  15. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Hahaha yeah I know it snows. Need to find a truck or wait it out for the roads to get better. The snow isn't so bad. It's the cars passing me and covering me in slush that's stopping me. I have traction and the temps are above freezing. Barely. Just can't drive with all these people throwing waves of slush all over me.
    goodcat likes this.
  16. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Are you south of Raton, N.M.? Wouldn't it better to head to CA. and have the wheels shipped to you?
  17. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    I very well may be heading south from here. Not too sure yet. Just can't drive on these roads right now.
  18. goodcat

Oddometer:
    That slush may turn to ice. What's the temperature forecast?

Tell your wife to bring some hot coffee :jack
  19. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Forecast is supposed to get warmer from here. No wife or kids. Solo.
    Watercat and goodcat like this.
  20. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Good luck mate

I'll be following
    Sparks912 likes this.