Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a company called D&D cargo. Was about 1600 from Santiago to Miami. All my belongings went with the bike. Didn’t even have to wash it before shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    I believe Bas and I were at the same hostel in Ushuaia. We kept running into each other on the way north. Gas stop. Border. And then ferry. Cool dude and awesome bike.
    CanuckCharlie likes this.
  3. Rocketman54

Rocketman54 n00b

Oddometer:
    I assume this was an air shipment? And how did you find this shipper?
    Sparks912 likes this.
  4. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Yes it was an air shipment. The shipper is one of the better known providers in South America. D&D cargo. There was a number up on the board at the hostel in Santiago and almost everyone I met over there was either coming in or going out of the country with that freight service. They all had good things to say and it just made sense to go this route instead of Buenos Aires because of the logistics. More wait/drive time for a similar price. This one was pretty painless.
    Yura_Y2K likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    What's the ~$ of air shipping a big bike?
    Sparks912 likes this.
  6. DCmac

DCmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scroll up four posts.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  7. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks DCmac - I missed that.
    Next Question - why is it $2800 to fly from Miami to Colombia?
    I'm leaving in July and having a devil of a time finding a reasonable shipping connection. The best quote I have is $900 for the actual transport and almost two grand of paper and fees.
  8. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Part of the reason why the shipping fees can be so high is because of Colombian bureaucracy. From what I heard you are not allowed to ship a bike into Colombia without having Colombian insurance on said bike. And to acquire this the bike needs to be in Colombia. Catch 22. So the brokers ven charge what they please. I’ve heard of rates from Panama City, Panama are around 900-1000. Hopefully you find a better broker and can get the rates lower. That’s way too high for the service they provide.
  9. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I’m just talking the US side. I can deal with SOAT when I get there. Just get me there!
  10. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help with this. Not sure how to get the prices down. You could try and contact the shipper I used and see if he has some agents in the states he recommends. Other than that I’d look to the forums and groups to see what people are spending and who they are shipping with. Facebook has some good groups for this.
  11. fastredbike

fastredbike back on the loose

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, I enjoyed it all. I was especially impressed with your pace, you really took the time to soak it all up - something I'm working on myself when travelling. Most impressive chain management - so if I read correctly it was clean well and regularly with kerosene or diesel and lube with??
    Congratulations on realizing this goal.
  12. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along. I was very careful with the chain because I did not want to try and source a quality replacement while abroad. Finding even the simplest items can be a challenge. Yes I cleaned the chain with diesel and then applied an aerosol chain wax. Many debates on the effectiveness of the different lubrications out there but for me the most important part is keeping the thing clean. 80w90 gear oil is what I have switched to now and that will be much easier and smaller to carry in my tool kit. Highly recommend this for lubricating the rings in your chain and keeping the rust formation down to a minimum. The forces on the chain squish any oil out from between the rollers so my view is that it is more important to keep the dirt out so that the wear which will normally happen is not accelerated by the abrasiveness of road grime and grit trapped within the rollers. Hope that helps with your travels and feel free to ask me anything about the trip. I am more than willing to help others with advice I’ve learned from completing this adventure. I still get the occasional message from my friends out there riding and asking for some mechanical opinions or troubleshooting diagnosis. I’m in no way an expert but I am very passionate about this and love having well maintained machines.
    TonyKZ1, 10ecjed and fastredbike like this.
  13. Marko D

Marko D n00b

Oddometer: