Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    My father, who was a private pilot, has a saying about guys flying into terrible weather on Sunday and being buried in beautiful weather Monday. Schedule + weather = bad
    junkyarddog and Sparks912 like this.
  2. Lutarious

Lutarious Renaissance Man

Oddometer:
    Take your time. At least on the roads, you can pull in and wait out the weather. When it does clear out, it should be beautiful.
  3. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado

Oddometer:
    IN.
    Hey Allen, if you haven't already lined up a place to stay in the Denver metro area you're welcome to stay with us. Riding to our place (in the foothills) could be dicey but I'm sure we can make something happen. I'm up in the high country (Silverthorne) right now but will be home tomorrow (Monday) or we might be able to work something else. PM me, I'm happy to help.
    Hold Fast!
    HumphreyB, Kebabmonster and goodcat like this.
  4. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The real heroes are the mechanics that keep the planes in the air. So much responsibility rests on their shoulders. Grew up in the aviation industry thanks to my father and wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for everything he's taught me.
    Completely agree about schedules and weather. Getting to Denver today was a goal. Didn't happen. Tomorrow is looking more favorable for the road conditions. I'm in the shining beacon of light that is Raton. Thanks Vic. Haha.
    Spent a long time waiting out the weather. Somehow I managed to get on the highway after the plow trucks went through but before they actually cleared the road. They did an alright job the first pass but it quickly came back down and turned to shit again. So I did what anyone would have done and found an overpass and stayed dry underneath. Where I met this really cool guy named Anthony. We sat in his truck and talked for a long time about adventure and legacies we leave behind. He drives across the states hauling all kinds of products and was also waiting for the roads to clear. Knowing I'll never see him again we agreed that we'd find each other on the beach somewhere. He'll be the one with tube socks and sandals.
    Need to locate another pinlock shield for my helmet tomorrow. This one isn't sealing and I spent the day getting blasted in the face by vehicles overtaking me. That gritty slush got everywhere and my gear is looking pretty rough. Was opening the visor to wipe the condensation off the inside and then closing it to wipe the ice off the outside. All the while trying to keep the bike upright while sliding around. Must have been quite the spectacle for the other motorists. Aired my tires down to 10 and 14psi. Wouldn't have ever gone that low off-road but the road was smooth and the grip was a lot better than I thought it would be.
    There's always a plan b but what kind of adventure would this be if everything went perfectly according to plan?

Attached Files:

5. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Incredible!
  6. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
  7. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    I doubt I would have thought to air down the tires. My overused sphincter control would have prevented any rational thought.
  8. junkyardroad

junkyardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather will clear at some point, if you can wait, you will make it. You will suffer a bit, but kudos for trying! I'm 170 miles west of Denver on I-70, it was 43 degrees here today and I went riding. Was thinking of trying to ride to Phoenix in a week or so. Low altitude and patience are your friend(s). Stud your tires if you can.
    Foiler and Sparks912 like this.
  9. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Wtf are you thinking man, starting in fuckn January and snow.
    Give your head a shake and truck it the Fuck outta there.

But it's an interesting beginning to say the least. :imaposer
    akadvntr, Kidder and Sparks912 like this.
  10. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Good morning Raton. Light dusting of snow that melted into a thin layer of ice. I'll be having a few more cups of coffee and then slowly loading the bike. Aired the tires back up to 24-26. We will see if that's low enough for predictable traction. 10-14 felt great at 30mph but it will not last long at 60mph. Ditching the pinlock for today. Not sealing it was causing too many issues. Will just leave it cracked open and see if the fogging can be manageable today. Temps are rising and it looks like the roads are clearing. Parking lot is still a sheet though.

Attached Files:

11. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow just wow
  12. Fieuws

Fieuws n00b

Oddometer:
    And then I thought my "being iced up experience" was one of a kind...
    I'm in here, really curious for the rest of your story! Enjoy the rising temperatures ;)
  13. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    What a contrast! Everything white except your bike and those three big crows behind your bike along the fence.
  14. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snowing here today. Supposed to continue until mid afternoon. Drop me a PM if you're close. I live on the south side of Denver...
    goodcat likes this.
  15. Kidder

Kidder Poser

Oddometer:
    Someone go pick his ass up!
  16. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Wish that was within my capabilites. :(
  17. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be following this one.
  18. german996

german996 to infinity and beyond....

Oddometer:
    hat off for you, safe ride bro
  19. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Made it to Colorado Springs. Having some coffee and then heading to Denver. Lots of people were taking pictures of me today as they passed me or I passed them. No pinlock is working well. Better than I thought. All the ice has melted off my bike and I'm excited to go drink some beer in Denver. Not much longer now. All fueled up.
  20. Sparks912

Oddometer:

Attached Files: