Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. azdesertdad

azdesertdad VN1600A "It's a Harley... compatible" -Mr. Furious

Oddometer:
    I admire your fortitude... but to willingly ride in to that kind of weather? Please don't take this the wrong way... you're nucking futs. :-)

Looking forward to further reports.
    ExplorerFrog, steved57 and Sparks912 like this.
  2. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see Lyndon's been there. Good job getting through the snow.

Eric
    Sparks912 likes this.
  3. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit dude !! What a start - I'm in though

And safe travels
    Sparks912 likes this.
  4. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd mention the tent space thread, might get to meet some brothers along the way rather than hotels mate!

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/

Epic start to the journey, the question begs, you start in Florida planning for Argentina yet you ride to Denver to pick up some wheels in the dead of winter! Why didn't you have them posted? Either way you made it, tough as nails man :thumbup I've been caught a couple of times same weather, coming from the tropics what a complete mission! The looks I know Haha, being the only bike out they look at you like you just had your way with a goat in the car park :eekers Cool pics, looking forward to the RR :lurk
  5. JR22

JR22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    crazy - have fun.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    I'm a 6th gen south Florida boy and have spent quite a few summers in Homer. Winter to CO? My balls are frozen just reading this shit!:lol3

Stay safe and have fun man! Looking forward to following your adventure!
    FLARider1 likes this.
  7. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where you at man? Did those stouts at Black Sky Brewing slow you down? :drink
    Sparks912 likes this.
  8. trialerpark

trialerpark n00b

Oddometer:
    If you weren't posting pictures of this I wouldn't believe it!! Be safe.
    HumphreyB, steved57 and Sparks912 like this.
  9. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Have been having a great time in Denver. Stopped at the finest watering hole in the west. Woodys wheel works. Sun is out and the bike is all together. Roads have cleared up nicely but they are still icy around the shop. Going to have a bit more coffee before boarding and then get South quickly. Was in the 20s when I got up but it's warming quickly. Denver has been incredible and I'll never forget it. The people have been so generous and I hope to meet more of you guys at the trip pregresses. Fresh tire on the rear means I'll be extra careful with it for a while. Slick tire and icy roads are not a good combination. More later.
  10. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Woody did me in yesterday and the ice made for a one day delay. But that's what makes the trip. The delays. Positive ones are the best kind.
    Charlie Roy and Project Mayhem like this.
  11. steved57

Oddometer:
    Hey did I see in an earlier post you were heading for Jefferson Texas on the way thru Texas enroute to Denver ?
  12. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    I believe I stopped in Jefferson for a little bit. Not sure if it was fuel or a camping spot. Headed to Albuquerque or somewhere in that area today. Not sure how far I'll get since the roads here are icy and I have no idea what they are like elsewhere.
  13. steved57

Oddometer:
    I was just curious as I live 40 miles from there but when I read it you had already been thru Texas or would have been glad to put you up
  14. MooseBuilt

MooseBuilt ALMOST DEAD, but not quite! still kickin..

Oddometer:
    Peoples Republic of the Congo of Maryland
    this man has man balls that have man balls...
    Sparks912 and Dessert Storm like this.
  15. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    So here she is moments after I arrived at the shop. Got into Denver and the roads were clear. Turned down the road to the shop and it was all ice and slush. Was dragging both brakes to get myself slowed down for the turn. They heard me coming and quickly raised the door so I could drive inside. Minutes later the wheels are off and the new rim is going on the rear. I posted a picture of my bent front wheel from Louisiana. If you look closely you can see that the brand new front rim was bent by those damn bricks in the road. Front wheel off and on the truing stand. It was perfectly true and balanced even after getting bent. Amazed at how strong the wheels are now.
    Spent some extra time in Denver with one of the inmates on here as well as Woody. Really was an amazing time and I can't thank everyone enough. You guys made that journey through the ice and cold completely worth it.
    So here's the 18" rear. I like it a lot. May go up a bit more in gearing but so far it feels good. Tires were slick for a long time and the temp range I saw yesterday was significant. 50-26-58-34F. Had some issues with freezing fog but they didn't last very long. New pinlock is working well and a major improvement from before. Put it to the test yesterday. Anyways I'm on the hunt for a screw this morning. The one on the right side of my headlight rattled itself loose yesterday. I think it's an M8 but I don't know if I have an extra laying around.

Attached Files:

HumphreyB, juno, Charlie Roy and 2 others like this.
  16. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Where are you now? Gives us a planned route to California.
  17. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    I'm on i40 headed west towards Gallup. There's an ace hardware over there where I should be able to pick up that screw. I'm thinking I'll stick to 40 since my timeline for getting to rawhyde is fast approaching. It's a boring road but I have some music and podcasts to keep me entertained.
    10ecjed and Project Mayhem like this.
  18. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Checked through all my bolts and screws. Nothing will fit. Tightened the other side and will throw a zip tie through there until I can get the right size screw. At least the fog lights are aimed correctly. Haha

Attached Files:

Charlie Roy and 10ecjed like this.
  19. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

#10 in the photo is an M8X16 for 800GSA, 13-15. Perhaps a hair more to accommodate the headlight guard?
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  20. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    If its a Touratech headlight guard its a M8X20. Yeah, I've got nothing else to do.
    Dessert Storm likes this.