Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. wanderlusting

wanderlusting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're already through Albuquerque this morning. But stop in at the dealer here, Sandia.
    PM me if coming through.
  2. Lutarious

Lutarious Renaissance Man

Oddometer:
    you might look into taking 87 south from Winslow to Pheonix. Depending on the weather. 40 goes pretty high and gets quite a bit of snow. It would also be a shame to miss the beauty of the Tonto N.F. I didnt calculate mileage, but it probably wont add more than half a day, especially if it keeps you out of the snow.
  3. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Agree, that's one of my favorites. Sure beats pounding out the miles on I40 and today's forecast of 3-5 inches of snow for the Flagstaff area.
  4. azdesertdad

azdesertdad VN1600A "It's a Harley... compatible" -Mr. Furious

Oddometer:
    The Beeline (87) *is* a pretty drive... and best of all, you can stop at Mackey's Grill in Payson. Take their advice and have a slice of pie. You won't be disappointed. :-D I routinely run up the hill to have breakfast at the Payson Airport, ride the back country and catch Mackey's for dinner on the way home.
  5. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In gallop. Got the fasteners I needed. Heading west. It's cold so I won't type too much this morning.

Attached Files:

10ecjed and Project Mayhem like this.
  6. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad I could be a little part of your adventure, thanks for making time! :beer
    Sparks912 likes this.
  7. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Stopped for some lunch in flagstaff. Light snow but the roads are still ice free. Just got an email about possible heavy rains in California. Could potentially cancel the class I've been scheduled to attend. Weather hasn't really been on my side so far but I'm sure that will change when I get south of the border.

Attached Files:

Charlie Roy and 10ecjed like this.
  8. azdesertdad

azdesertdad VN1600A "It's a Harley... compatible" -Mr. Furious

Oddometer:
    You've got this. If you can do the run to Denver with the freezing rain etc, a little regular rain shouldn't be an issue.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  9. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks. Good luck heading west.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  10. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Hello California. What a welcomed site those blue skies were. Spent a mojirity of the day in snow and rain. Would snow for a bit and build up on the bike and my helmet and then it would warm a few degrees and melt off until the next section of cold weather. It was pretty much constant until I approached the border. Then the torrential rain came down. SENA20S didn't like the rain. Spent a long time messing with that to get the group intercom to shut off. Stupid thing. Also my visor isn't sealing very well against the helmet. During the couple hours leading up to the torrential rain I was swerving all over trying to keep my head from being blown off my shoulders. Absolutely brutal today. When I had brief moments of clarity through the visor I did enjoy passing those trucks and checking out how badass I looked plowing through that weather. Ridiculous is probably more accurate. Haha. Anyways it was a good day and I'm pretty close to the school. Sent out some messages for places to stay but it was last minute and I wasn't expecting anything.
    If anyone knows about the charging system on this bike please send me a message. I have a voltage monitor on the dash and it was reading over 15V quite a few times today. Not sure if that's normal or not. I try not to ride at night and only noticed it then. Probably a direct result of installing the monitor. Haha
    Riding school tomorrow unless they feel the mud is too difficult for everyone. Will try and get some good pics and reports of how that goes. Walking to the gas station for a tall one. Need it after today.

Attached Files:

11. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Good morning California. The wettest place on earth. I have a routine down in the morning where I load up the bike. First the dry bags go in the panniers. Whichever ones I pulled out for the night. Usually only one with my toothbrush. Then the black bag on the passenger seat. I haven't put my gear or boots on yet. But after today I may change that. See the bark next to the left pannier. Yeah that's just a thin layer floating on top of a foot deep pool of water. My left shoe is completely full now. Haha. Socks and shoes drying on the heater while I wait a bit longer to take off to rawhyde. I put the shoes in my backpack that goes on the black bag. Totally empty except for three garbage bags with my now soaked shoes inside. Going to fuel up and then get muddy. Looking forward to some critiquing of my riding practices as well as instruction on how to ride faster and safer. Chain lube is a few hundred miles overdue. Wasn't mixing well with ice or rain. Might get a chance to do that this weekend.
    If anyone in the area wants to get together after this class I will be around Southern California for a while. Just send me a message on here and I'll give you my number.

Attached Files:

Charlie Roy, 10ecjed and Kidder like this.
  12. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pictures on Instagram of my recent trip to Denver. Had an awesome time. Will return one day. Maybe not in January though.

Attached Files:

Project Mayhem likes this.
  13. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Wet morning after a super wet day yesterday. Loved the intro though. Covered all the basics and gave me an idea of where I stand for training.
    Muddy day today. Pushing my skills further than ever before. So far it's been completely worth the expense. Taking the next step program. Meeting some great people and learning a lot. If you're going to ride one of these pigs around off-road get yourself some training. Feeling much more comfortable now than ever before. Haven't broken anything yet. Still a day and a half of training to go.

Attached Files:

juno, Charlie Roy, 10ecjed and 5 others like this.
  14. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    After a marathon winter ride we haven't heard anything from you. How was training? The photo above looks like the bike is having a great time!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  15. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk
    Sparks912 likes this.
  16. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. Been a little too busy to do updates. Also not having service out in the desert. Went on an organized ride with the crew from class. Was pretty incredible. The next step program at rawhyde was amazing. I learned so much from the instructors Will, Adam, and the others. Had some spectacular crashes which I'm sure will make for amusing stories at a later date. If you're thinking about the pros and cons of the course let me just tell you that I think it is completely worth it. Met some great people that are amazing riders. Also learned that the crash bars on my bike do their job well. But if you crash on one side more often just make sure to go down on the other to straighten them out. Mostly semetrical now and I'm happy with the level of protection.

Here's a little pic from our flat tire delay spot. Didn't get any pics from the second flat delay spot. It was just a gas station. Quick and efficient change and a learning experience for all. Snow on the mountains and mud mixed with sand. Great area though running along the aqueduct.

Stopped in the general store for some delicious milkshakes. A quick call earlier in the day to convince the owners to cater to us after hours. Tons of bikes parked on the main strip in this little town.
    Bike parked at the base camp. It was a really cold night there but completely dry. Woke up to ice covering the tent as well as the bikes. Had a great time around the fire sharing stories with everyone from completely different walks of life.

Attached Files:

juno, fasttortoise, 10ecjed and 2 others like this.
  17. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in and agog. You have some cojones (as mentioned earlier). Hell, I'm crazy but I'm heading SOUTH to Florida (your neck of the woods; N. FT Myers) this weekend for some warmth and golf. Amazing start to your trip so far. I'm all in!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  18. MooseBuilt

MooseBuilt ALMOST DEAD, but not quite! still kickin..

Oddometer:
    Peoples Republic of the Congo of Maryland
    the wife and i just got done with north port and ft meyers... dear lord the sunshine was amazing, now back to your regularly scheduled program here in maryland of rain, rain, no sunshine, and rain, oh and it's cold like this guy is riding though....
    Sparks912 and strom thingie like this.
  19. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    A little behind on updates here. Having some coffee now and doing lots of typing.
    Day before yesterday was a lot of fun. Took off from the cold base camp and rode over to the Trona Pinnacles. Passed another road block to get in there. Roads were super soft and muddy. Saw a white pickup and thought we might be in for a fine. Turned out to be a camper so we were in the clear. Previous day had a little delay on the road where the police officer was threatening 500$ fines per person for ignoring the road closed signs. Owen knew what he was doing and talked us through without having to pay.
    Apparently these pinnacles were actually underwater at one point. I'm not a geologist and was more interested in riding than reading the signs so forgive me for not getting much info on this place.
    Was fun riding around with only my tools and tubes.
    Had to stop and get a picture for the folks at Aether. Great riding gear. Owen and I were the only two wearing aether

Attached Files:

Charlie Roy and 10ecjed like this.
  20. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was my maintenance day. SENA 20s took a dump on me. I stopped at Long Beach BMW to pick up some oil and a filter. Also had Mo read the fault codes and push the service interval date way out. Everyone was super helpful. While my bike was waiting there I grabbed an uber and took off for cycle gear. The 20s was stuck repeating "group intercom". Not sure why or what caused it. So the guys at cycle gear Huntington Beach hooked me up with a new unit. Got back to the BMW shop and the bike was all done. Loaded my oil and filter on the bike and then discovered the 20s wasn't charging and wouldn't turn on. Ride back over to the store and the second replacement worked. Great guys in that store.
    Once I had my SENA working well I plotted a course for Lucky Wheels Garage. It's a DIY motorcycle shop. They have tools and equipment but they aren't there to work on your bike. They will help if you need guidance. Or show you where the correct tool is located. Jackson and Ty were great guys and made me feel more than welcome. We talked bikes and routes for a while.
    Go check these guys out if you want to do some work on your own bike but don't have the tools or garage. They have it all.
    18k service is pretty straight forward. Nothing too exciting. Having the lift and access to tools was incredible. I carry my own tools but the one I needed and didn't have was an oil filter wrench. Here's to hoping the next service location I find will have a filter wrench for use. Pulled the skid plate and tried to scrape out the dried mud but it wasn't happening. Surely I'll see more rain again soon.
    Took a long time to get the chain clean again. It spent the last few days plowing through the mud and sand. Still adjusted within spec and no visible wear on the sprockets.

Today I'm meeting up with a friend I met at rawhyde. Going to go ride Death Valley for a while before heading into Mexico. Still need to make the rounds in California and shake some hands.

Attached Files:

juno, fasttortoise, B10Dave and 2 others like this.