Fair winds and following seas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sparks912, Jan 9, 2017.

1. 10ecjed

10ecjed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm following you on your ride. I'm impressed. The school sounds like a blast. I would love to check Death Valley sometime. Keep it up. Enjoying your RR.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  2. Sparks912

Sparks912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning from Death Valley. Had a great time in LA. Shop there was one of the best shop experiences I've had. Probably because I trusted the guy doing the work. Walked around the block to take this picture after I finished up the service. The next morning I walked up and down Hollywood boulevard and saw the stars. Departed at a reasonable time for Death Valley.
    On the road the scenery was spectacular. Elevations were high and it did get a bit cold but wasn't unbearable. Stopped for fuel before heading into the park. Several of the roads in were closed due to mud slides and snow. Loaded the bike with food and booze for the weekend. The ride from the gas station to the park was amazing. Incredible descent with crazy switchbacks and huge drop offs. Was grinning all the way to the bottom.

Attached Files:

3. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    First night was incredible. So many stars out here turned one of my panniers into a cooler. Worked well.
    Got up in the morning and secured camp while we loaded only the essentials on the bikes. Michael is riding his KTM 1190. Brought the tools and tire changing items as well as the first aid kit. Everything else stayed behind. Saw the rawhyde mid winter adventure in the morning. Recognized the bikes as they headed west. Rode over to Titus canyon road and saw the signs for closure didn't think it would be too difficult to skirt around but they are serious when they close a road. Big gate and barbedwire fence. There was no getting around it. So we went across the road and found a Jeep track to go explore on. These bikes were made to be off-road. Stopped for some vanity before hitting the technical section.
    Loved that little ride maybe 10-15 mile loop. There was a turn off halfway through where we had to go check it out. Was an incredibly deep canyon with sheer cliffs and a goat track cut into the side. Risk/reward said it wasn't worth it. So we sat for a while and took it all in. Had lunch at furnace creek. Needed a big burger after that ride. Looked at the map and decided to head to badwater before going back to camp. In the picture below if you zoom in you can see a little sign on the hillside at the very top of my windscreen.
    Dropped off tools and stopped at the local store for some post adventure essentials. Another great night by the fire under the stars.
    Today we will check with the rangers for road closures and see if anything good opened up. Want to get out there and ride more dirt.

Attached Files:

4. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    You're livin' the dream!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  5. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Used to joke at work about living the dream anytime we were stuck with a terrible job or conditions. Times have changed and I am definitely living my dream.
  6. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Death Valley was incredible. Amazing scenery and some great times. Ride out to the race track. Michael and I were having a good time on the dirt roads. The road to the racetrack was an endless track of washboard. We were getting bounced around a lot and shaken to death but it was still fun and totally worth it. After being on the lake beds I'm getting excited about the salt flats in Bolivia.
    Met a group of riders at teakettle junction. All were forum members but their names escape me.
    The snowy mountains in the background and desert made for some incredible resting spots.
    At the campground we had a lot of fun swapping stories with the two Daves and Axel. Very generous people and we shared some drinks and food. Nothing fancy but it was a great time. A bit cold at night and lots of the dirt roads were closed. Headed south now and crossing the border in a couple of days. Schedule and route are still up in the air but that's exactly how it should be.

Attached Files:

7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. I would be nervous about the 15.1 voltage, should be 14.1, but, could just be a lousy meter. I have a 13, F800 GS, and am following as I want to see how yours does and how it holds up. Look forward to your adventure. As to the ice part, all the time I was thinking of a officer I used to work with that went down on a icy road, paralyzed waist down, you don't want that. I am sure you are feeling better heading toward warmer parts.
    Sparks912 likes this.
  8. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Forget the bike! Tell me more about that car :thumb

Honestly, though, best of luck as your journey continues. Very enjoyable read so far, mate!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about that, E46 in the garage, nice!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  10. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    That group was me (Bigbugberg), NMDave7, DoD, MonteK!!!

Good luck on your travels!
    Sparks912 likes this.
  11. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Had a great time with an awesome host yesterday. Wingnut is a great guy and super hospitable. Also the beer he made was really good. Had to do some diagnosing in the driveway. The voltage monitor on the dash was showing an inconsistent spike in voltage above 15.2Vdc. Rather worrying when there's a lithium battery just forward of my crotch and I don't want to burst into flames while riding down the road. Connected the multimeter to the plug for my compressor. Showing 14.49V. Light is blinking away furiously indicating a voltage over 15.2. Maybe there's something wrong with the plug? Pull off the cover and put the leads directly on the battery. Move them around a lot to see if I can get a more accurate reading. Voltage is still showing 14.49 and the monitor is still flashing. Covered that light with a piece of tape now. Will send it back to signal dynamics for a replacement.

Bigbugberg great to see you and other inmates out on the trails. You guys were definitely set up for that washboard and I did my best to stay out of your way when you passed. Impressive bikes and skill.

Car is an E46 M3 from 2001. Has tons of little things done to it and the major components and fault areas have been upgraded or fixed. It's a little rough in a few spots but my parents are taking great care of it. Driving it often enough for the components to stay lubricated and the tires to stay round. Got a call from him after a drive a while ago and he told me he didn't have too much trouble getting it parked. Bumped off the wall a few times but the wall was okay. Hahaha good thing he was only joking.

So yesterday after leaving my host I had to go run a bunch or errands. Lots of little last minute things to take care of before heading across the border. I'm still a little unsure of where I need to go for all the paperwork but standing around long enough I'm sure they will do what they can to get rid of me. I have my map out and some helpful literature. Just need to pack up the clothes and hit the road. Going to cross at Tecate since I really enjoyed the roads in and out of there. Plus it was quiet and I've already been through there. There is a GoPro camera in my kit but I'm still learning about the video editing and pictures. If you see some photos from previous endeavors it's just because I finally figured out how to get them off the camera.

Attached Files:

TXinOK, joenuclear and Wingnut037 like this.
  12. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Well I'm in Mexico now. Crossed at Tecate. Parked the bike with all my gear covered by my jacket and started the lengthy process of doing the correct paperwork this time. Walked in circles a few times and went to multiple offices. Fill this out. Take this here. Fill that out. Take that back there. Go get this copied. Take that copy here. It went on for a while but everyone was extremely helpful and I was even walked to the local copy machine inside the pharmacy. Paperwork over I plotted a course on the gps and took off. Not looking at the route in its entirety I was sent west and then north to the TJ border. Haha. Stopped after a bit and realized I wouldn't make San Felipe I headed to my favorite campsite thus far. La Bocana.

No one around and a very peaceful spot for my first night out of the country on this journey. Sunset over the pacific was complete with a subtle green flash. Spent a long time gathering dead brush and looking for any scraps of wood for a fire. Eventually found enough to keep some flames going. Bottle of local red wine for 4$. Rode out in the morning after taking my sweet time.
    The road in and out of this place is incredible. Great views through the valley and the twisty dirty was fun. Passed a few vihicles and everyone waves to you as you go by. The kids at the local school were all outside and cheered as I approached. So I pulled the clutch in and made some noise for them.

Attached Files:

13. azdesertdad

azdesertdad VN1600A "It's a Harley... compatible" -Mr. Furious

Oddometer:
    And made their day... Perhaps fueling the inner fire for a future ADV inmate. :-D

Either that or years of expensive therapy... :imaposer
    Sparks912 likes this.
  14. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Told you there was a fire. Burned everything and anything that was near the pit. Then I found a ten foot branch down the hill. Wind was picking up a bit but the wine and fire kept me warm.
    Just a little taste of the awesome road to the campsite. The drops were significant in a few places and the road isn't always there. Recent rains have washed lots of it away.
    Woke up early today in San Felipe. Sun rising over the Sea of Cortez. I went out a bit too early though. Stood at the waters edge freezing my nuts off for about 25 minutes. All the while telling myself it's almost risen.
    Lunch with a view of the water today. Fog is rolling in though so another beer and I'll be heading back to camp for some research on where I might go next. It's set in officially now. I'm headed in one direction without a return date.

Attached Files:

15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Nice sunrise!
  16. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    more than a little envious...
    Sparks912 likes this.
  17. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're in paradise, amigo!! Jealous...
    Sparks912 likes this.
  18. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Sunset wasn't terrible either.
    So far I'm only barely able to order food in Spanish. Already knew how to ask for two more beers. Skirted through last trip by saying si a lot and ordering two more beers. San Pedro Spanish school for a few weeks in Guatemala will certainly help. Tomorrow is going to be at cocos corner. Want to see what all the hype is about at night. Only passed through for a beer and panty hanging last time.

Attached Files:

19. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    See if you can find or order one of these. This is my 3rd one.
    EDIT: They make a version of Latin American Spanish too. Opt for that copy
    IMG_20170204_082838499[1].jpg
    Sparks912 likes this.
  20. Sparks912

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Going to try and find one. Will help on my way to Guatemala. Spanish immersion for a few weeks down there. In San Felipe for one more night. Thought the room was cheaper but it turns out it wasn't. Stories of great deals didn't turn out to be fact for all. Dinner with my friend from last trip to Baja and then south in the morning. Any suggestions on places to stop let me know and I'll do my best to get on here often to check for them.
    uintamts likes this.