Fairbanks--pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by BigE_50, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    When I moved to AK from North Carolina back in '94, I did it aboard a 1980 Honda CB750 Super Sport. The most amazing motorcycle road trip of my life. Fairbanks was my destination. The original plan was to get out before winter set in.....I'm still here. I did three winters in Fairbanks in the kind of squalor and poverty the others warned you against. It was all right. But life got so much better after I left town and moved to the mountains. I suggest you do it. On your TW. Make a sharp left turn in life. My good friend in NC told me as I was struggling with the same decision: 'If you don't do it you'll regret it' ....Read a bunch of Edward Abbey and get psyched up for life's next chapter.
    Peace
    Piston
  2. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Hell I just realized you had a TW. Perfect bike for some of these roads, IMHO. My wife has one and has been to Prudhoe Bay and Dawson City on it. I welded her a little rack to carry gear and gas. It does great for her, and I think for anyone as long as you were not in a hurry. Cmon up and give it a whirl.
  3. richardak

richardak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been here since 1982 having moved here from southern CA to go to grad school. I've been to just about every state and still haven't found anywhere else I'd rather live. If you are bothered by cold or long nights (or days) you may want to pass. Most of the statements above are true but some are exaggerations.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take Rich's comments with a grain of salt; he is one tough guy. He sometimes spends his free time in Barrow because he finds the Fairbanks climate a bit too sissified these days. :eek1
  5. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Till you lived in Tok for 10 years you don't know what dark and cold is all about in Alaska yer all pussy's.:loco:amazon If that place doesn't kill you nothing will I know.
  6. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Plenty of drunk natives....." :huh:ddog:2guns:shoot

Law enforcement has plenty to deal with in Fairbanks, the Native population not being anywhere NEAR the top of the list.

Lived in and around (Chena) FBKS for about 1.5years back in the mid 80's. It's changed A LOT since then, mostly all good. Just went up a few weeks ago for my kids wrestling tourny and the town has grown in a good way. LOTS of good shopping and the folks seem pretty friendly. Views aren't as nice as my little Valley, but otherwise a nice place to be. Housing market seemed semi-stable, like the rest of AK. Pick your schools wisely if you have kids.

Come up for a visit!

Jim
  7. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    If you like to ride, and especially if you like dual sport, you'll love Fairbanks! I've been here for 56 years (almost), and still haven't been on all the old roads and trails. Unlike Anchorage, they're everywhere!

Sure it gets cold and dark in the winter, and hot and dry in the summer, but it beats living on the coast where the wind blows, and it rains half the time! There's enough things to do to help keep your sanity. I'd say go for it!
  8. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent nearly a year in Bethel and six years in Kotzebue and have numerous native friends and acquaintances. You dont have to drink with them to know. You hear lots of stories. One of my young cargo handler pals in Bethel froze to death one winter night going out drunk on his snogo. That happens quite a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  9. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I was being facetious.

The problem isn't what you hear, it's what you repeat.

http://www.adn.com/2012/03/19/2379503/wasilla-man-killed-when-atv-rolls.html

Today's paper. Now you can tell folks Alaska has a bunch of crazy white drunks in the Matsu Valley.

Not looking to pick a fight with you here, but just sayin' some folks might be a little offended when you start drawing inferences on race, rather than the conduct or the person. Stupid drunk is, as stupid drunk does.
  10. BigE_50

BigE_50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the TW and I would love it up there (already got the racks and extra gas).....the family and job part is trickier. I'm mighty tempted.

Thanks again for the local reviews.

BigE
  11. AK Bob

AK Bob AKAM

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks...

I'll play the straight man.

Kevin is right NO ONE is here by accident

F.E. Warren in Cheyenne was my first duty assignment in the Air Force. Eielson AFB was my next duty assignment, .

I came into the Country (Alaska) in '76, it has been home ever since.

If you are hooked into a good job and the community, it can be a fine place to live. If you and probably more importantly, if your wife and kids can put up with the Cold I've seen 20 day in a row below -40 and -68 as the coldest (Not Wind Chill), and Dark on the shortest day 3 Hrs 42 M of useable light, then its a maybe You will never really know unless you try. The darkness causes "S.A.D." in some people. The lack of darkness in the summer messes with some folks too, especially kids.

Heating Fuel yesterday was $4.18. Cheapest Gas was $4.08.

It was easier when I was a lot younger, it does get old. We got a bit of a cold snap now about -20 for the low, but the Sun is comming back its at 12 & 12 today. Fishing season is comming. MC work is about done but they probably will stay in the garage till the end of April..

Freezing your A.. Off in the dark creates lots of Characters.
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:huh:rofl:huh:rofl

And they ride R100GSs......
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    A worthy quote. :wink:

One brother thinks maybe I frostbit my brain when I lived up there. :huh :lol2 Mark H.
  14. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you spend much time out in the villages you would know what I'm talking about.
    Even the natives themselves will be the first to admit they are more prone to the ravages of booze.
    Why do you think they made all the villages "dry" and the hub villages "damp"!
  15. AK Bob

AK Bob AKAM

Oddometer:
    So do Most of the Airheads in the club. Looks like 14 members in Fairbanks, 8 in the Valley / Anchorage, 2 on the Kenai, Jeneau, Ketchikan, Kodiak, and Manley round it out.

Probably most of the Gruvers are the same, at least the ones that moved to MT.

I want to go for a RIDE. It is -3 right now. Kissed the Yuke on the way out to get the paper. The four letter word is still DEEP and slick. So much for the Ride. Go ahead and rub it in, send more pictures of you and Annie out riding!

2 Apr will be the next BT.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I miss March in the interior. Lots of light and good temps for the snogo.

We got 3 inches of snow Monday but it's 59 here now and warmer tomorrow.
  17. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks ain't the village. We are talking about Fairbanks....right?:deal
  18. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right! But the natives in Fairbanks generally come in from the villages.:sly:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  19. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    I love Alaska and am glad I moved here, but WY is probably the only state in the Lower 48 I could move back to and be happy.

Humm, I live just down the road from WY, and used to live just up the road from there, and love WY in the early summer and early fall, but if you don't have a pickup with an antelope pusher on front, or a 1970-1980 GM product without hubcaps, you will find it hard to blend in :wink:
  20. BigE_50

BigE_50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, we'll drive 'em right up to our new NCAR supercomputing center. :lol3