Fairbanks riders + beer?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by fjfreude, Sep 14, 2018.

1. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. Fairly new to Alaska here, moved here last October. Are there many Fairbanks Riders here?

I know the season is almost over but I thought Ide reach out, if only to find some inmates.

In the last town I lived in we did an informal more-or-less weekly advrider meetup at a brewery after work. Just to plan rides, share stories, work out mechanical problems, that kind of thing.

Anything like that here? If not, is there any interest in one?
    skierd and dirtdoug like this.
  2. Alaskanorse

Alaskanorse n00b

Oddometer:
    I ride nearly every day, we were doing weekly group rides up until a few weeks ago. I'm going to be riding until it freezes over, hopefully will have a couple more weeks. HooDoo is a good place to meet, often other fellow riders are there.
  3. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha, you are tougher than I. But I just moved here. Ive been riding when I can, I did a big trip from Oregon to Fairbanks this summer, which was a great experience. Havent had much time to do many rides around the homestead though. Im around HooDoo more frequently that I'll admit, its a fine place for a meetup in my book.
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome to the n00bs! :wave
    Fairbanks ADVers usually have a get-together once a month during winter. :beer

They always post up a thread on here titled 'NORTHERN AK BARLEY THERAPY'. :drink

I say "they" because I live down here in Los Anchorage where we have our monthly gatherings at Alaska Leather and call it 'Movie Night'. :thumb

Good luck and have fun up there in the farther north, Mark H.
  5. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Ill have to look it up. Once a month sounds good.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The barley therapy is organized by the local Airhead Beemers club, but I'm guessing that all are welcome. They were held at the Silver Gulch Brewery and Restaurant in Fox, but the last few were at the Roundup Steakhouse 2701 S. Cushman St. I believe they are held on the first Monday of the month at 7 PM. Perhaps AK Bob will chime in with the current accurate info.

Just did a search and the last announcement for a barley therapy that I can find was in January of this year.
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW Airhead chapter, ("air cooled" BMW's prior to 1996) meet every first Monday at 6pm. We've been meeting at the Howling Dog in Fox
    for the spring, summer and fall. Likely the next will be back at the Roundup Steakhouse for November since the Dog is not open in cold times.

Not everyone in the group has an airhead and some have had airheads but we are all riders. Stop on by and intro yourself.
    David
  8. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    David,

Ive heard about your group and have been meaning to make it down. I have an oilhead R1150GS ide love to ride over. I always seem to forget its happening until its too late. I should put it on the calendar.
  9. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Last Monday I saw a dirt bike heading up an ice covered road at 6:30 in the morning. Last Friday I saw a cruiser on Peger rd......My Buell is locked in a shed with at least 2' of snow surrounding it. My KLX is disassembled in the garage getting a make over and a power boost! Summer is coming! I leave my beer in the shade on my porch now. Our winter imprisonment is almost over!
  10. interiorak

interiorak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    took the xt250 out for ride round farmer's loop and airport way Sunday afternoon. earliest ride ever for me in AK (since 1994.) no issues ... almost warm. easy single track down my driveway 2PM. Terrible slog up the track at 5 PM. Not going to do that again ! I'll wait for breakup.
  11. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once my road clears up I’ll get out for some easy warm up laps, I’m not ballsy enough to go out on the slush/ice yet. This is the earliest I’ve seen roads clear up as well and I’m not complaining.
  12. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I think I'm on track with my "refresh" that I'm not too far out from some warm-up rides. My buell with street tires won't taste fresh air for at least another month!
  13. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im with you guys. The roads around my house are fine but my drive is impassable on mx. I'd have to trailer it 1/2 mile just to ride!! Im just waiting for breakup.
  14. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    So the snow slid off of my shed and solidified into a nice 2 ft high ice berm in front of the door. My Buell is trapped in the shed for a little while longer. My KLX is still in pieces, but coming together nicely.

Yesterday evening I was working on the KLX lamenting on how far behind I feel this spring........but then I look at the thermometer this morning and remember........Its Alaska in early april and the Tripod is still up.......Technically I'm still ahead of the curve!

But why did you guys let it get so damn cold again!
  15. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the bike out of the shed and worked on it all Sunday. I ended up walking the bike up the iced-up driveway to go ride last week. I got too impatient. Maybe this weekend, It's supposed to be pretty good.
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  16. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I might have to work a little to get the Buell out. I gotta get a pic of her with the tripod in the background!
  17. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    B4DA63FD-39D2-422F-9C8E-60DB981A85DA.jpeg On the Denali Park Road today.
    Peace
    Piston
    Bigbob1, X-wing fighter and AK650 like this.
  18. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I went out for about a 50 mile ride today up north of Fairbanks. Thinking of heading out to Manley Hot Springs next weekend, haven’t been there yet and the roads should be decent.
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  19. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Yeah, I just took the XRL out for a little ride on Sunday. Felt good to be back in the saddle.
  20. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting closer! the snow in front of the shed is almost jumpable to get my Buell out and I mounted the new gas tank to the KLX yesterday afternoon. Staying focused, today is KLX crank up day and once she is running I can rewire the lights! 2 Wheeled freedom is on the horizon!
    Bigbob1 likes this.