Fairbanks riders + beer?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by fjfreude, Sep 14, 2018.

1. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    KLX cranked right up! thank you DYNOJET for such good instructions with your jet kit! Always a little paranoid with carb rebuilds/rejets. I also added resistors so my LED turn signals actually function properly. Tonight is tire change! Ordered a vanity plate in Feb, DOT sent me car plates at the end of March. Now if the DOT can get my vanity plate in the right size, I'm ready for the road!
    fjfreude likes this.
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I’ll be sure tell the designer of Dynojet that you are pleased with his work. He is a friend that lives down here.
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  3. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Alright I guess I'll step up to bat! Any interest in a meet up/informal group ride next weekend (20-21 APR). I don't want to start a club or try and schedule rides throughout the summer......but I would like to see who turns out, do a little riding and socialize with some interior inmates!

I mean this is "Fairbanks riders + beer?" thread!
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    There used to be a group in Fairbanks called “Friend’s of George” (FOG), named for the late George Rahn. George was the BMW dealer from the 60s to 2007, and a one of a kind man. FOG was just an email list that people could use to contact other riders about rides. It was club with no rules, no meetings, no elections, no dues and no officers. Few of the FOG people were on this forum. I think we may have had 30-35 people on the list. We had only one “organized” ride each year that was called the Last Ride. It was held in mid September and started at the College Coffee House and went to Chena Hot Springs. One year we were able to ride until October 24th, so we had three Last Rides.
  5. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    I won’t be able to make it next weekend. I’ll be thinking of y’all while I’m riding the White Rim Trail in Moab.

The Denali Highway is still sloppy for the first 5 miles of gravel. After that it’s still snow.
    0E4DEC95-657E-4529-8457-4C02BDB4E1BC.jpeg E1CA05C5-50A4-42D4-9309-871EEF42A2D3.jpeg
    Peace
    Piston
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  6. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    That's the kind of thing I would like to get started. Have a time (or times) and a place to meet, Hopefully at least 2 bikes show up and a ride is born!

Thinking something like Goldhill gas Saturdays at 11. No route planned. If mostly street riders show, then pavement is the flavor of the day. If the day feels like gravel, Standard creek road and other "gravel roads" aren't too far away. And if some trail riders show, there are miles of trails really close too! And if you're the only one that shows up, you're out already, might as well ride!
    No commitment, no responsibilities, no fees.........Just show up and see what happens.
  7. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1080.JPG The KLX is almost ready for adventures this summer! I just a couple of things left to do that I need temps in at least the 50's. Oh and the Buell Ulysses is free from her winter tomb as well!
  8. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1091.JPG

First Spring "check ride" complete! I'll take her out a little longer today, Just to make sure she is ready for a good long run on Saturday! The KLX is restricted to off-road and just around the neighborhood until I get my plates sorted out.
    AK650 likes this.
  9. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    So who is up for a ride on Saturday? I might have to plow my driveway and spike my tires to get the bike out!!!!!! ha ha ha I'll just load it in my sled and tow it out with my Arctic Cat!!!! IMG_1099.JPG
    AK650 likes this.
  10. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noo! We were so close!
  11. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least I got to ride a few times already.
    AK650 likes this.
  12. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Sunday 21 APR 2019 1:00 pm- I am going to pull up at Goldhill gas station on the Parks on my Buell.
    1:10-1:20-I will pull away from Goldhill gas station for about an hour long ride, on pavement, at or under the posted speed limit.

All are invited. Join if you wish. If you miss this one.....be on the look out for the next.

I am going to try and be sociable this summer and do a mass ride invite at least a couple of times a month. I normally hate group rides, but maybe this could be different!

Not stuck on Goldhill as a future meeting place, its on my side of town and I know from there I can be on a long gravel road or in a large trail system in a matter of minutes. Lets see who and what shows up as I keep this going!
  13. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    21 APR 2019 Ride report- Temp at my house was 42 degrees. I fought my way out of my drive way and up the snowy hill that is my street. The buell fell once(at a very slow speed) due to no traction on my way out to freedom.

1:00 pm I pulled up to the gas pumps at goldhill right on time. There was only one other inmate. Brian on his KLR650.
    1:12 pm My Buell XB12X and Brians Kawasaki KLR650 pulled out on to the parks heading west-southwest towards Nenana. We turned right onto the further old Nenana rd. They rebuilt Old Nenana road last summer, I can't wait for a warm summer day, because even though its short, its a nice wide road yearning for you to twist the throttle. We did a little spin around Ester(ok Ester is super small anyways). We rejoined the parks heading back toward Fairbanks until we turned left on Goldhill road. Followed Goldhill until sheep creek rd and then took that little bit of Sheep creek until it becomes Goldstream road. Goldstream rd to the Steese. Steese to the Johansen, and finally pulling up into the Holiday gas Station at 2:25 pm.

Roads were all very clear. There were a few small patches of gravel and a few streams where snow melt crosses the road. I did stay at or below the speed limit most of the time(the Buell really wanted to be set free!). we rode for a little over an hour. I accomplished the ride I set out to do and had company wilst doing it. Overall it was a great ride.

I went straight home after we had a little chat at holiday. On my decent down the snowy hill that is my street, my Buell layed down again(at an even slower speed than before). This time The shift lever broke off and tore the shift linkage up.....But other than that I made it home safe and still consider it a very successful ride!

1. I know it was Easter and Family takes precedence over riding.
    2. It was cold and honestly I shouldn't have gone myself because of the road in front of my house.

But I said I was riding and I wasn't going to back out and let anyone down that wanted to ride as bad as me! Sorry for the short crappy write-up, but you should have been there!
    Solarmoose and That.guy like this.
  14. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a good time. Sorry to hear about the added excitement getting back to the house.
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    ha ha ha a little over an hour at below 50 degrees and a mishap with a snow covered hill, I write that up as a complete adventure ride!
  16. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I own 3 bikes and 2 of the 3 are down right now:(

The Buell Uly is still down because the shift linkage parts are slow in coming. Hopefully the heim joints come in this week and I can then get that rolling again.
    The KLX is down due to carb issues. Ran fine, but I did a rejet. ran fine after the rejet, but streamed fuel out the bowl overflow. put a new float in, doesn't leak, but just coughs a bit now wont stay running.
    The buell blast is good, but I'm scared to do the primary oil change it needs....who knows what that will cause!

The sun is shining and I gotta get riding!
  17. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    A group of us are meeting at Outpost at 6pm tonight (Tuesday 4/29) for a ride to the Monderosa for dinner. Bring cash, they haven't taken credit cards in the past.
    Sidestands up at 6:30pm.
    fjfreude likes this.
  18. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, interesting. Hmm one bike is apart and the other may have a blown front shock. Ill test the waters around the neighborhood and decide after work.
  19. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    ha ha ha your in the same boat I am, bikes everywhere, but nothing to ride. If I don't get the klx running by then, I may have to take a break and ride up cripple creek to the parks and wave jealously as the group passes to the Monderosa.......then head back and drain her primary as I finish the KLX.
  20. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Well I got the KLX running! Still have a few minor things to address, but she is ready for summer. Hoping the outpost actually has the heim joints ordered for my buells shift linkage. The worst part of owning a buell in Alaska is finding parts and then getting the parts shipped....Usually have to pay more for shipping that the actual part cost sometimes.