Fairbanks riders + beer?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by fjfreude, Sep 14, 2018.

1. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats good! But isnt that just the worst part about owning a Buell anyway? Im a little peeved with Outpost now. I called to price out some labor for my Honda and they apparently dont work on bikes that are over 10 years old. Both my BMW and Honda are 2002. I fixed the problem but if I have a big job, I'm SOL.
  2. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be a new policy. They had My 2002 buell blast and my 2006 buell Uly in there last summer. Probably playing the "Harley card". I find that dealers that identify more as Harley dealers, don't really like working on other brands they carry. Thunder road won't even look at my Buell because of "parts availability" even though it does have the heart of a sportster.

I'm just trapped loving a bike that is getting harder and harder to fix.
  3. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well since the XR650L is the same since 1993, it cant be a parts or service problem. Just an attitude one. Im more worried about my BMW, not as easy to work on.
  4. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Now the BMW Harley relationship at dealers is slightly different. Harley and BMW both have brand loyal fanatics that are different than any other brands. I know that BMW holds dealers to a very high standard! I also know that the outpost services more BMWs than Harleys.
  5. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe they'll work on the beemer, I didnt ask. Lets hope I dont need it anytime soon.
  6. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    How was the ride and the burgers? I really wanted to ride, but I had to get bikes running and get my mower deck ready to get serviced.
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    There were six of us. Beautiful weather and very little traffic, saw lots of other bikes on the road. We took the Old Nennana highway on the way down. I hadn't been on that since the repairs. WOW. that is a fantastic road for an evening cruise. Keith, from Outpost, is going to try and have somewhat regular Tuesday evening "Throttle Therapy" rides. Same time each week. Stop by and get on his email list for announcements. Its not a BMW only thing (though we were all beemers last night, five GS's and a K1600GTL.) Rides will go to different places each time. Oh, and burgers were great by all accounts.
    david

[​IMG]
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  8. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    There has been some turnover in techs and I suspect the 10 year thing is related to training for the new guys. I had asked about doing some work on my '07 BMW. I don't think its a situation they wanted. Given the length of the riding season and the size of the population, the bike dealers (Outpost and Northern Power) do as good as could be expected.
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  9. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They have to do what they have to do. Its just a shame. Ide like to see a dealer who wants to promote the appreciation for a brand, especially one as reliable as BMW/Honda where you CAN have a bike that runs fine with minor mechanic work for 10, 20 30 + years, instead of prioritizing trade-ups and new sales.
  10. AK650

AK650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not unusual for Alaska bike dealers(brand doesn't matter) to shy away from old iron during the busy summer tourist season. If you own an older bike (and don't wrench at home) best to plan anything major ahead, and have it done in the winter.
    Solarmoose likes this.
  11. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, well thats not so bad. I mean its certainly more understandable.
  12. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh hey, ill ask here too. Is there anywhere locally I can get a fork seal driver? The bushings on my XR650L will. not. seat.
  13. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sked 40 PVC Pipe?
  14. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats more or less what Im working with. The bushings are just really tight.
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    So the shift linkage just came in for my buell. I installed it and headed out on a test run. 3 miles from the house the drive belt blew!

Better now than on top of Atigan pass. I was hoping to ride to Chenango hotsprings this evening, but I ordered a new part instead!

1 week of commuting on the blast I guess! Loud little bugger!
  16. Solarmoose

Oddometer:
    Failure on local streets takes some of the sting out of it. Best one I had was a cam chain break on the way home, in my driveway and 50' from the shop door. Wrecked the top end of the motor but at least I didn't have far to push it... My condolences on the drive belt.
  17. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    KLX testing progressing well and the Uly is back on the road after replacing the drive belt!
  18. fjfreude

fjfreude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! Ive been commuting with the GS for a bit now. Went over to the Howling Dog on Saturday for their spring bike thing. It was a little wet but a good time.