Fake Diamonds?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bkowal, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife refuses to remove her engagement ring when working around the house and as result has recently lost the diamond.

I promised I would have the diamond replaced on our 20th anniversary this November. I was considering a fake diamond for the following reasons:

1) I am a cheap bastard
    2) I hate the politics of diamonds
    3) I hate the idea that the price of a basically worthless piece of rock is controlled by a monopoly
    4) The synthetic diamonds look pretty good
    5) She will never know the difference

I have looked at moissanite http://www.charlesandcolvard.com/ and also came across this http://www.sitaragem.com/

Any opinions?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    You're playing with fire.
  3. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Until she has it appraised....then she will kill you in your sleep.

My mom gave me her wedding ring when she was about to die. She had had it made into another ring out of her wedding ring and my grandmothers wedding ring. There were 4.5 carats of diamonds in it. She was cleaning it one day a few years before she died and lost the second biggest diamond. It was a 1 carat stone. She had it replaced with a CZ, a very high end nice one, but it made the ring worth about $1500.00 less than it was before.
  4. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! I casually mentioned to her that I might get a fake diamond, and she seemed OK with it. Of course I would get a bigger one than she had before.
  5. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carrots are cheaper and you can probably fit a lot of them in the milk crate on your KLR. :thumb
  6. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    See my comments....
  7. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    Planning ahead... :thumb

'cause that's all he'll have left after the divorce. :lol3
  8. Sniper X

Oddometer:
  9. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check this out, real diamonds but grown in a lab. Less expensive than wild ones. They're also available in different colors.
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    How much cheaper is a fake than real?

What's the price range for a 1 carat real diamond set in a ring? How big does a 1 carat look?
  11. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    You know, this thread has a lot of potential.
    :lurk
  12. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that some appraisers can't tell the between these these and old-skool mined ones. Who knows if its true, but pretty interesting.
  13. Anorak

Oddometer:
    The only difference is that the man made ones are probably of higher quality. De Beers has been trying to figure out how to differentiate between mined diamonds and the lab grown.
  14. Desertbilly

Desertbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm probably pretty old-fashioned, but I think engagement/wedding rings are very important to women, and I'd let her choose for herself, with no pressure, and then be very supportive of whatever her decision.

If you try to pull one over, the odds are high that she'll have it checked and be pretty unhappy. If you decide for her, you risk latent resentment. Yes, all of your points are 100% valid, but like I said, there are a few things that are very important to women, and this is one of them.
  15. Anorak

Oddometer:
    Here is a pretty comprehensive article about machine made diamonds. Notice that it was published six years ago.
  16. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    Looked at that, but seems to me that until they can actually produce diamonds that would compete with what goes on an engagement ring (e.g., something that's not colored), they're not going to be much of a threat to the diamond jewelry market. I certainly wouldn't offer my sweetheart an engagement ring with a urine-yellow diamond in it. :lol3
  17. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:

Check out bidz.com
    you can always buy a diamond ring for ghetto cheap, and have it swapped over.
    I agree, Diamonds are a waste of freakin' money.
  18. Sugar Pig

Sugar Pig almost certain...

Oddometer:
    What if she went out and bought you a new KTM,

then you found out it had a Lifan engine in it?:rofl

I'm just giving you a hard time. I agree with your comments. I also agree with Sniper- you're playing with fire.
  19. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This discussion is quite amazing to me. I am asking for opinions of the best quality/value for a diamond alternative and I am getting marital advice. :huh I guess deBeers also has you guys brainwashed into thinking these shiny rocks have some kind if supernatural powers.

Diamonds are forever? No. Hit it with a hammer it will crush. Hit it with a torch, it will burn. It is no more forever than the pebble stuck in my shoe. Wait until the manufactured diamonds really take off and the monoploy is broken. That diamond "investment" won't look so good.

After a little research, it looks like the moissanite would be the best since it the hardest of the manufactured stones and would stay shiny longer, it won't scratch. Some of the maufactured stones are cubic zirconia with a diamond coating to make it more durable, but the coating seem to wear off.

As for the KTM with the Lifan engine, I'll take one! I had one of those Chinese pit bikes withe 125cc Lifan, and the engine quality was exceptional. The rest of the bike was questionable, but the fit, finish and performance of the engine was remarkable for the price.
  20. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought her a bigger Moisennite stone. It is very shiny, she loves it. 1/3 the price of an equivalent diamond. The jeweler says they test as diamonds, only a real expert can tell the difference.