Fall Colour Tour 2009 - October 3rd-4th

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Pig-Pen, Aug 7, 2009.

1. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    you're talking about the half asleep guy with the KTM racing hoodie right?:ear :ear

:scratch
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

:lol3

That works, too.

Good seeing you, Alex.
    All the best to you and the girls.
    :thumb
  3. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi There,

The hydroline trail that was mentioned in this thread, is that the one that goes south-west from Whitney to Fort Irwin?

I have it from a number of sources that this trail (within the boundaries of Algonquin Park) is not legal to ride. This topic came up a few years ago on an ODSC forum. One of the members phoned the park and talked to a ranger, who said that this park road is closed to unauthorised traffic. I got a similiar story from Richard Lawrence, who runs the Algonquin Trail Ride every June 21. This trail was used in this ride up until the late 90's.

If there has been a change in the status of this trail I would like to know as it is a nice one!
  4. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's the one.
    I admit I wasn't looking too hard, but I saw no barriers or obvious signs to keep out. I figure if it shows up as a street on google maps, I'm OK.
    Simplistic, perhaps, but there it is.

5. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    There are no signs.... I've ridden it a bunch of times from SW to NE and you only come across a sign marking the park boundary, which I believe states permits are required to use the park. That however only refers to overnight camping and as far as I know, day use and transiting through without camping never requires a permit.

If that's not the case, they better place some signs up at the point where the trail enters the park or it would be VERY tough to get any charges to stick in court IMHO.

7. Motoaxe

Motoaxe Doctor of Misfortune

Oddometer:
    Ummmm.....I guess its time to share this wee little factoid! It seems as though my precious cargo might have noticed a sign stating the ban on motorized vehicles within the park. Apparently it went by in a blur and she was concentrating more on staying on the bike than the bike on the right roads....

Just sayin'
  8. xrayboy

xrayboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I found a construction advisory webpage at the park website that stated that the road would be closed at a certain bridge for repairs for the week. The page is no longer accessable, but it seemed like a simple "road closed at bridge, plan other routes, park facilities beyond bridge will not be accessable, sorry for the hassle" I was under the impression that this road gives access to campsites and portage points. If so, then a dual sport should be considered the same as any other "vehicle" travelling through the park to access the facilities?

I had a bit of an argument on the phone with a woman from the park a few months back about driving in the park. There is a map you can buy called the "canoe routes map" which documents all the canoe routes and portage points, as well as the roads which cars are allowed on. The roads listed on this map has almost none of the roads that are actually shown on google maps. I guess the roads are there, but the park decides to keep them for only park rangers. I can see why they limit traffic in the park, otherwise there would be hundreds of yahoos driving all over the place making their own trails. I think we should be able to access any of the actual roads that are there. The parkie I spoke to seemed to be quite pissed off at the amount of cars they find on the closed roads, and she lied to me about access to the radio telecsope. She said there was no access to even get close enough to see it, but someone here posted some pics of his bike right beside it a few months ago. Some of these park employees seem to think they own the place.

That being said, when I rode the rail line from Pembrooke to the edge of the park a month ago, I did stop at the point where my gps told me the boundary was. As much as I would like to have ridden the whole way I didn't want to risk the consequences.

I have this canoe routes map and will check it to see if Hay Creek rd. is listed as a road that can be driven on. Although I think it is because there are campsites and portage put in places down that road aparently.
  9. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Nasty shit rolling in...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW
  10. 2wheelherman

2wheelherman 2wheelherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great time. :clap This is from Herman and my son Konstanz. We were not part of the group, and were just lucky to be at the Wolf Den at the same time as such a great group of people.
    You welcomed us and made us feel like real inmates. Great food a Beer.
    Will be there next year, as part of the group and not as party crashers.:freaky
  11. H e a d N o r t h

Oddometer:
    ...happens to at least one or two each time...
  12. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Welcome aboard! Whatcha riding?

Lots of other craziness to be had before next fall, stay tuned to the GTA thread for more details.......
  13. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be near there this weekend with the family, and would love to check it out.

To those who rode this trail last weekend: Do you think I could drive my 4wd SUV through there? :ear(and not get stuck? My wife already won't ride on the back of my bike; if I get stuck with her SUV and her in it she will never go anywhere the least bit adventerous with me again in any vehicle!)

L
  14. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Nice first post Herman.

It was good to meet you and your Son.

As stated above keep your eyes on the GTA thread and we'll see you soon enough.

Glad you enjoyed the beer
    drcool
  15. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I just had a flash back to Saturday night. Anybody remember this?

"Hey baby, I got N1H1....you WANT it?" :rofl:rofl:rofl

[​IMG]

HEY...who's jacket is that???? :norton:D
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a pretty ingenious solution to me.

:dunno
  17. H e a d N o r t h

Oddometer:
    I'd say if you're starting at the Whitney end, you'll go a while before you run into too much trouble. In fact, a few km in, I was thinking that this would be a great spot to take my wife on a ride (she's just as unlikely to ride with me as yours is...). That idea started to unravel as I went further South. I recall the last few km's had some of the trickiest slopes, particularly the last hill (though maybe wet leaves on rocks aren't as troublesome to your SUV).
    Short answer - start from Whitney, and go as far as you're comfortable.
  18. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I remember a few things....

[​IMG]

DW
  19. jacqui

jacqui Falling overrrrr....

Oddometer:
    fantastic!! next year Konstanz is going to try moose meat, :evil and you guys have a whole year to figure out how to pack lots of food on a bike :D
  20. jacqui

jacqui Falling overrrrr....

Oddometer:
    she needs her own....:D