fall foliage ride Nov 2/3?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by nachtflug, Oct 31, 2002.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    looks like another weekend of good fall colors, any tristate hambones wanna do a ride saturday or sunday?
  2. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    I'm also plannig a ride to Route 97.

Palisades, 17A, 94, 23,(or 6) 97, and 17 to back to Manhattan. Approx 250 mi....IF weather OK.

Maybe a Hot Apple Cider stop somewhere, couple of snapshot stops for foliage, and a Lunch around Port Jervis...or maybe somewhere else, I dunno.
    I can not be early, but can make 11:30 ish, at State Line Lookout - Palisades Pkwy.

OK, Saturday, if wheather OK, I'll stop by there sharp 11:30 and stay till 11:45, if anybody interested please welcome :)

Richy the Bighorn

2-up w/wife, average speed, Ice Blue/Red 02 KRS, red-grey BMW jacket, white + black helmets...
  3. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    thanks for the reply. that RT 97 run can get a little bleak on a day like tomorrow, probably wont join you, but good luck, if it isnt too cold it will be a good ride, as colors are still pretty good foliage wise due to the late fall and NO Indian Summer. we had no autumn this year.
  4. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info re. Rt97...It would be my first ride to there..(was my first season in NY). Maybe I'm gonna keep the route shorter, but definetly will keep my promise about 11:30.
    Actually my intention to drop by BMW Manhtn earlier and to check electric vests, any suggestion?

BTW, there is a Fall Open House show/activity at BMW Manhattan Nov.9th...bet. 1 - 4:30PM. At least lets meet there...I'll make another posting to inform all NY-PA-CT-NJ gang.

Richy

Weather report for NY tomorrow...partly cloudy 45F...
    "weather watcher" www.singerscreations.com recommended.
  5. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    good morning new york.

Attached Files:

6. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    yeah, on a day like today, when you get onto to RT17 off 97 you are way the hell up in the middle of nowhere, your past Liberty, and theres no good places to warm up, you'll be one bored cold puppy by the time you get back to civilization, its nice when its warm...

so much for the indian summer. fall colors, how about white.

looks like house work today. maybe tomorrow will be warmer? maybe a run to marcus dairy, in the saturn...
  7. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    what is an indian summer ?
  8. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Not sure the original derivation of the term but essentially it means a brief warm spell after the first cold weather of the season hits.
    So about three weeks ago in these parts, people were saying, "Wow, it's way too cold for this time of year. But Indian summer will come along soon and we'll have some more warm weather yet."
    :uhoh
    Hasn't happened yet. We're running about 20 degrees F lower than normal here. So at least so far, my riding season has ended much more prematurely than I would have anticipated. :arg
  9. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    Where do you want to meet?

Today (Saturday) I'll ride solo for a couple of hours to get it out of my system.
  10. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    lets meet at bear mt. inside....

I'm 50/50 for tomorrow, warmer forecasts will help. went outside for dunkin donuts at 9am saturday morn, sun has come out, its warm in the sun, in your CAR! no really its brisk, it will be a good ride tommorow if the sun cooperates and it gets no colder, I dont mind brisk, just not to brisk. I'll post some more ramblings later no doubt.

this pic was taken after the sun came out, is that a Sting song title?

Attached Files:

11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban,alt.education.english
    Subject: Re: Semantics of "Indian Summer"?
    Date: 18 Sep 1994 04:45:36 -0400

According to the Oxford English Dictionary: "The name is generally attributed to the fact that the region in which the meteorological conditions in question were originally noticed were still occupied by the Indians; but other more specific explanations have been essayed [see below]. In its origin it appears to have had nothing to do with the glowing autumnal tints of the foliage, with which it is sometimes associated." (I interpret this last sentence to mean that the term is probably not derived from the association of red autumn leaves with so-called "redskins.")

The OED's first citation is from 1778. The term also appears in an English translation of a French book in 1804 in which the original was "l'ete sauvage." Other etymologies quoted but not given a nihil obstat by the OED are: (1) "...a name which is derived from the natives, who believe that it is caused by a wind, which comes immediately from the court of their great and benevolent God Cautantowwit, or the south-western God", from an 1812 reference, and (2) "...because it afforded the Indians with another opportunity of visiting the settlements with their destructive warfare," from an 1817 reference. (As opposed to "constructive warfare"?)

So whether or not it's offensive would seem to depend on which etymology you believe to be correct. Unfortunately, I don't have a good rule of thumb with which to guide you here.
    =============================================
    Indian Summer
    Daniel J. Boorstin in his book The Americans, The Colonial Experience postulates an origin for the term Indian Summer, meaning a period of warm weather following the first frost of autumn. He states that European colonists endured raids by Indian war parties throughout the summer months. As the weather started to change, the raids would cease, so autumn was looked upon as a season of relative safety. If, however, warm weather continued into the autumn months, then this condition would mean another Indian Summer. A neat story, unfortunately as an explanation for the term's origin, it's quite wrong--proving that even a noted historian like Boorstin can be hoodwinked by popular etymology. (To give Boorstin some credit, his explanation is not totally without merit, having been first promulgated by Philip Doddridge in his 1824 "Notes on the Indian Wars.")
    Both Mencken and the OED2 fix the earliest recorded usage as 1778, rather late for fears of Indian raids. Even then, it was not a common term until well into the nineteenth century. It does not appear in Webster's 1828 dictionary, nor in Pickering's 1816 Vocabulary.

Several differing theories have been promulgated. The OED2 plumps for the idea that the phenomenon was more prevalent in the west, or Indian territory than on the Eastern seaboard. Mencken spends the most text describing the theory that it is called Indian Summer because it is a false summer. "Indian" is used in several contexts to denote something that is cheap or false, witness Indian-giver and Indian-corn.

Also supporting this idea is the British phrase St. Martin's Summer referring to the same meteorological phenomenon. St. Martin suggests something cheap or false, primarily because dealers in cheap jewelry gathered at the location of London's Church of St. Martin-de-Grand after it was torn down in the 16th century. St. Martin's day is 11 November, which often corresponds to the spell of warm weather.

12. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I thought it just meant it got nice and warm in October for about 2 weeks.:bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito :bandito
  13. Zollo

Zollo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The St. Martin comparison is an interesting cross reference.

Thanks for digging that up,
    Zollo
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    You betcha!
  15. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    Went riding today and it was snowing! Only one other rider was on Bear Mountain.
  16. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    But late hours like 1:30-2:00PM, probably that why I couldn't see you. Yeah, it was snowing but Seven Lakes area was wonderful, like "Starfield Simulation" :): on Palisades Pkwy. :1drink
    Thanks to Nightflug I don't ride to 97...maybe next year.

BTW, I bought a electric vest from BMW on my return to Manhattan (whatta timing:): )and winter gloves.

Tomarrow...yeah baby, if it's going to be like today I'm in...worst, no way !...Tell me when and where...
    Agin, 11:30AM at Palisades, State Line Lookout fine for me, and I'm flexible after 10:30 Am.

Richy the Bighorn
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    should be nice...not. forecast says hi of 43. this really sucks for this time of year.
  18. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Got that right, Flugy. This was just about the worst October I've seen - much colder than normal. :mad:
    Sucks.
  19. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    OK, it was chilly, but again beautiful...

:1drink

Attached Files:

20. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer:
    is is a summer that you steal from kind hearted trusting people...and then you kill them! duh...

charlie