Family Quest to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freedom Rider, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a test to see how to start a thread about a motorcycle trip to South America from Canada with my wife and son and I all riding Suzuki DR 650's.
    I wanted to have a way for friends and family to follow our adventures through this 12 month trip.
    We will be leaving on the 1st of Aug 2010 and must return home in one year for our son to start university.
    So this is the start of a one year thread and I hope all who follow enjoy it.

My name is Michael my wife is Jing and son is Sean.

[​IMG]

https://freedomrider.smugmug.com/Other

Michael
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    OK! :clap :clap :clap

Let's ride! :D
  3. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
  4. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michael,
    Glad to see you are finally on the road. Too bad you won't make the HU meeting. We leave at the end of August and wish it was sooner. Enjoy the ride and will be checking in on this RR often. Ride safe.:clap
  5. Rangerrat

Rangerrat Adventurer Rat

Oddometer:
    Wow, a one year Papa, Mama, and Son adventure. I'm in on this one...:freaky :clap
  6. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow sounds interesting looking forward to your journey! :thumb
  8. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa Contemplator

Oddometer:
    Hi, any questions about Brazil (in case you´re heading this way) just let me know. Good luck,

Fernando
    Ilhabela, Brazil
  9. Mtnjohn

Mtnjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in and looking for rr on those DR's.
  10. wraith9

wraith9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool - looking forward to following your RR. I live in Calgary, and am planning to do a similar trip next year with my wife (also on DR 650s). Your trip will be great education for me.

:clap
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    :lurk
  12. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great to have all the interest.

I'm still having trouble trying to upload photo's of my family and our bikes.
    I've tried using attachments but never seems to work.

Fernando thank you I am planning on making it to Brazil catching a boat at
    Belem to Manus then north I appreciated your offer and will contact you
    if I need any assistance.

Michael
  13. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best way is to host the photos somewhere else then the the pic icon to point to the photos URL. Would be worth it for an epic trip like this. I believe there are tutorials somewhere on the site here.
  14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The day has come, it has also been a long road getting to this point. I hope that we are prepared for the road ahead but if not, so be it. Our first destination was Waterton Lakes National Park. After a five hour ride on the first day we arrived at a campsite outside of the park. I sent my son to find our spot and after worryingly long time he came to our site which my wife and I had beat him to. He told me he fell over on his bike and broke the windshield extensions I had worked so hard to make and melted his pant leg trying to get the bike up. The next day we decided to explore Waterton and just rest a bit since my son just got back from China and my wife and I had been working around the clock right up until the moment we left. The day was stunning clear skies and just the right temperature. The next morning we crossed into Glacier National Park and while talking with the US customs agent my bike fell over. I was so embarrassed when we pulled off to the side to re-arrange the load. However the day got better when we went over Logan's pass on Going to the Sun road. The clouds were heavy but the view was still fantastic. Once we came out the other side the skies cleared and we had to change into our summer gear. We rode to Lakeside where we are currently staying. We discovered we need to change the registration of my son's bike from Jing to Sean so we can get through the Mexican Border. We have a friend back home helping us with the paperwork and hopefully everything goes well and we can get new plates through a currier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep track of us through youtube and smugmug

Michael
  15. sebacycle

sebacycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike, Jing & Sean

I'm honoured to be the first to post since your launch & wish you all the best on your journey. :clap

Jay
  16. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Totally in. That's huge. You will remember this for the rest of your lives!!! :clap
  17. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This will be my second time writing this update I just pushed the wrong key and deleted it.########!!!!
    I think you all get the picture.
    Well we are in Twin Falls and stayed two night's in order to get Sean's bike to the Suzuki dealer to find out why it's running so bad ,went to the dealer early
    and they looked at it right away and Ron the mechanic first bleeder it and then
    turned over the carburater drilled out a brass plug and revealed a screw
    that allow him to adjust the jetting and after 5 minute's the bike was running like a Swiss watch.
    We then went back to pickup Jing and go sightseeing to Shoshone falls
    very beautiful a must if your in this area.
    This is also famous for Evil Kanevil's snake river crossing the big pill of dirt
    is still here looking like some old Pyramid actully the town is still quite pissed
    at him for not paying off his bills for this event and now his son want's to trying and
    jump but the town is asking him to pay off what his father owed and he has said that's
    has nothing to do with him.

any how we will hit the road tomorrow and see what the road has install for us.

We are looking forward to crossing the Mexican boarder.

Sorry for not uploading to youtube and smugmug
    The last youtube failed wi-fi is quite bad so far at most of the camp site's.
    Will try and find a library.

Freedom Rider's

Michael Jing and Sean
  18. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, Jing and Sean,

Great to meet you folks and talk a bit the other day....wherever that was! I'll be following your trip with a certain amount of envy, but you'll probably be back before I've properly assimilated my own journey. You've got my email for any questions or other ways I can help out.

Buena suerte y bien viaje!

Mark

(from southern B.C., still making forward progress on my weary KLR)

Edit to add: now that I see your simultaneous post, I'll add a word of advice. Try not to stress too much about updating blogs, photo files, or video. Most riders slack off and eventually give it up, and that's because it's harder than it seems, and at times impossible. Your trip is about living in the here-and-now, not so much about documenting it thoroughly for those at home.

So: much as we all appreciate hearing and seeing as much as we can, still your main obligation is to yourselves and your shared journey. Don't worry if you've got to adjust your expectations about all the rest.

But remember: this advice is worth precisely what you paid for it! Safe journeys!
  19. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark

I think your right its allot harder to up date than I thought and I do stress a little knowing friend are following.

Thanks for the offer of advice I'm sure it will come in handy sometimes.

Michael Jing and Sean
  20. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Good journey to you all. Remember to stop now and then to rest for a day or two.