Fantastic “Home is That-a-Way” App

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by foxtrapper, May 6, 2021.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am so happy to have found this!

DeLorme used to have this on their devices, and I loved it. You could pick a destination, and have a bright line on the displayed map pointing straight to it, showing how far away it was.

I used this all the time when out riding around. Come afternoon, I’d have it turn on that pointer to home. Then I’d just start moseying home.

Because it wasn’t highlighting specific roads, it really helps inspire meandering. If I was tired, and home was a long ways away, I might go more directly home. Otherwise, interesting roads would get explored!

This is an apple app, I’ve no idea if there’s an android version.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/toward/id1510516280
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea. There does not seem to be any on android though. Bummer.
    kwthom likes this.
  3. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Get a marine compass on the handlebar. :D
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’ll tell me where north is. Not where home is, or how far away it is.
  5. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All my Garmin gps units have this. It draws a straight line from your current position to your destination. There is also a little compass type pointer on the screen that points at your destination.
    TonyKZ1 and Barry like this.
  6. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    A quick view of Google Maps will provide you with a bearing and approximate distance. The rest is part of the adventure.
  7. Geschift

Geschift Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I’m willing to give it a try.
    Just downloaded the app.
    Not sure if it’s “my” kinda thing, but hey; I sure like to meander through my surroundings when I’m riding my bike.

Thanks!
    All the best from the Netherlands.
  8. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I'm out meandering for the day I navigate by the sun. When it was cloudy that didn't work so I got a digital GPS compass for my bike. It also shows the time, elevation, miles traveled and some other items.
    Sal Pairadice and HuntWhenever like this.
  9. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly!

Oddometer:
    I love this feature. It usually turns a 2hr ride into a 4hr one which alright.
  10. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kinda cool. I can use this while I'm travelling and take a long walk away from my hotel.

Interesting that my commute is about 13.5 miles long, but 8.97 as the crow flies.
  11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not surprised. Your Garmin also happily displays a map with your location on it, without needing anything to do.

Never have understood why you can’t have Google maps or the like stay up on a phone screen, centered on my location, just like a good hiking go’s unit like Garmin and such does.

A whole lot of the time I simply like a map. It shows me things. Things that might be interesting. An electronic map that shows me where I am on it is cool. As in “oh look, there’s a X nearby.”

Why most map/navigation phone apps can’t simply stay awake, with my location displayed… much frustration!

Equally, I often don’t want turn by turn directions, with all the constant “rerouting”. I just want to know what direction to X and how far away it is. Usually it’s home for me, as the days ride is winding down.
  12. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Sygic and Navigator apps on my phone that do the the moving map thing quite well. They also display road names better than Garmin when zoomed out.
  13. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thank you for posting! Some time ago I was looking for an app that would do precisely that but could not find one.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Armchair Circumnavigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not bragging but anyplace within a day's ride my internal GPS can point me home. The problem in he northeast might be the roads don't head that way, either because of mountains or the city. When I was younger my sense of direction was so strong I could navigate back from Newark Airport all the way across New Jersey which is akin to finding your way out of a 100 mile wide maze.
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent some quality time with this app today, and had a blast as a result. Rode off until I figured it was time to start heading back. Ended up down all kinds of piddly little roads, because they were heading in the right direction.

Only disappointment is it buffers very little map. Out of cell service and you quickly end up on the blank screen. It still keeps the directional line, compass and distance, so it’s not really a big deal.
    Traxx and Barry like this.