Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    POS chinese ripoff.
    Max Kool likes this.
  2. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Eicma wasn't good for my dream. Best year ever for the 800cc class. New BMW, Triumphs, Yamaha, even Moto Guzzi. Sadly though, nothing under 650cc except the road oriented Benelli TDK 250 single with road rims. No Adventure 390 even

Any other shows this year left?
  3. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I imagine KTM wants to debut the 390 in India. Yamaha is in desperate need to produce a 321 based Tenere but can't even deliver the T7. Not to mention a 660 replacement engine. Kawy needs to make a Versys X 400 and 650. Honda is way late with a TransAlp and new NX series. Triumph appears be asleeo with Honda. And Husky dropped the ball with the street only Svartpilen. Bummer!
    Te Hopo likes this.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    "But, mainly, I really want a bike that has the ability to hit 75mph minimum without shaking itself and me to pieces, but is still light enough to hit the trails hard and also, I really want something that isn't so tall that it becomes unmanageable for the short of leg. I don't care WHO makes it. Anything close will get me interested. "
    John, 2014

Kawi has the best options.

X 300 is a great platform.

In a couple of years will be the X 400.
    Larry321 likes this.
  5. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Yep, the. Versys X has me vaguely interested in principle , but the issue is that it is just a street bike really. The other issue is that the cost in México for Kawasaki is ludicrous. More expensive than a KTM. And they removed it from the website anyway. I'm really only interested in a bike with real off road chops.
    Scratch n Dent likes this.
  6. Pepemoto

Pepemoto Road-slicer

Oddometer:
    I must have this:
    [​IMG]
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm betting you'll have that first, before...
  9. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Weak troll, even for you.
  10. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the Desert Sled is where I put my money and it was money very well spent. The bike is fabulous and extremely functional for a wide range of riding conditions.

It's listed at ~450lbs curb weight but I swear it rides more like 425lbs easily and feels like a 650 single in terms of mass etc. but with 2x the power and smoothness. It's extremely smooth, almost water glass smooth on the freeway, probably one of the smoothest Ducatis I've ridden (which has been quite a few). The engine is happy to chug along just above an idle in the technical stuff then rip about as fast as you wish to go easily blowing past 100 mph. Zero complaints on power/torque/vibes.

The suspension is pretty good once it breaks in and you spend enough time with the adjustments. The brakes are typical Brembo awesome.

The only things "wrong" with it are;

1. The fuel tank is too small, 3.5 gal isn't enough when you want to go exploring. Typical mpg is 40-50 depending on riding conditions. So far I'm using a 1 gal Rotopax on the tail rack when I need more range.

2. The wheels are too heavy. Ducati has a thing about wide tires/wheels. They are too wide and very strong (thick spokes with a 3 cross pattern) consequently they are heavy. They are also not tubeless, much to everybody's dismay.

3. Ducati cheesed on the rear shock with no compression dampening adjustment. It has preload & rebound only. The Forks are fully adjustable.

4. The stock seat sux like so many others. Typical, feels decent in the showroom but 30-45 minutes into a ride whole 'nother story. It's about par for the course these days. I have replaced it with a Sargent seat, problem fixed.

You can argue the price is on the high end of things but the build quality is up there and it friggen performs far better than the other bikes in the class out of the box so you don't need to spend $$$ on a boat load of upgrades. So in the end I don't have an issue with it.

[​IMG]
    Dracula, JustKip and John Ashman like this.
  12. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    danketchpel likes this.
  13. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Benelli Leoncino scrambler with more suspension - [​IMG]
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I think the great thing about the Moto Guzzi is not that it is going to be a good offroader, but that it might be just an absolutely sweet middleweight sport tourer for those that don't need blistering power to enjoy curves and sunshine. Without the constant clank and maintenance of a chain. Plus it just looks sweet. But, sure, if your buddies want to go adventuring, it will play.

I used to have a 700cc shaft driven Sabre and loved it. Someone stole, of course. The Honda 800cc Crosswhatever is the closest thing to it I suppose, but it is far too expensive to be that ugly.
    danketchpel likes this.
  15. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Sassy Italian 350 twin Saturday - [​IMG]
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    That Honda is good looking!
    John Ashman likes this.
  19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    While reading about their new and improved 1100 V-4 making 118 hp. , I thought half that would make a sweet 100 + hp bike for sure.
    But , I like V-twins better than the rapidly proliferating P-twins , so I was hoping for just that , a V motor. Oh , well.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    This year was the biggest disappoinmemt in new bikes in a while.

At least Europe gets the T 700.

____
    You know it's bad when Honda gets my vote for best ADV Bike.
    John Ashman likes this.