Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:

Well, the 471cc is just too heavy. The CB500X is 430lbs. The MT-07 was lighter than the CB500F.

I think the 286cc is fine. Or whatever they come up with next to compete against the Ninja 400.
    Maybe a 350cc thumper or something.

Honda does not seem to care that the $4,999 Ninja is just $500 more than the CBR300R, almost as light and way more hp. Like around 50%.
  2. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The 270 twins mimic the feel of a V-twin because they use the same basic firing order, just a different vibration I supposed. I don't know if that's what it is though.
  3. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I thought it was going to be a something really, really cool, like a Kawasaki KLX650 twin or a Honda Transalp/NX series or a KTM 490 Adventure single.
  4. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Not actually heavy at all. I think it's about 15-20lbs heavier than a single. It's a remarkably light twin actually.

Though if they made an NX300 based on the new thumper, it would be very hard to resist.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aprilia used to offer the Dorsoduro 750 which was pretty sweet. I rode one and seriously considered turning it into what the Desert Sled is today. Here's a photo of what somebody did to create exactly what I had in mind. I wish Aprilia had offered this version, I probably would have bought it back then. Their 750 twin is very nice once they updated the FI mapping.

[​IMG]
    John Ashman likes this.
  6. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both a Versys 650 and a Triumph T100 both of which have the 270 degree crank set up. From my experience with those and even though they both have additional balance shafts , is "Nice Try ".
    I'll take the perfect primary balance of a 90 degree V twin over any of these "Bells and Whistles " P-twins.
    Both the Versys and the T-100 were fine for a while , but , if you get them out for long enough the vibration begins to affect the ride.
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    This upcoming Norton 650 twin is getting a lot closer - [​IMG]
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I love this bike...but as a 250, 300, 400....not a 125!
    vnsfxr likes this.
  9. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Nice! ^^^^ For a Honda CB125X
    A 250 & 500 would be awesome as an urban/adv family of bikes.
    Honda isn't smart enough to do that, or bring it to the US. Looks good though.
  10. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    The Versys has never had a 270* crank and neither did the older, oil cooled T100s .
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Different people have sensitivities to different frequencies. You can see it on the Versys forums where some people can't seem to get on with any of the versions (including the latest, supposedly better damped versions) and others ride around on a Mk1 w/o bar end weights and they don't seem to think there is a problem with vibration. I have a friend who has no problem riding my Mk1 (w/o bar end weights) but hates the V-Strom 650 with a passion, due to the frequency it vibrates at, even as everybody seems to agree the V-Strom is a lot smoother than the Versys.

You have to try each bike and see how it works for you,

Gustavo
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give you the Versys , but I rented a T100 for 2 days in 2014 , put 700+ miles on it in that time and it did have the 270 degree crank same as the Thruxton . It had the distinct exhaust sound that mimicked a 90 degree v-twin from that arrangement.
  13. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already have tried both. A friend left his '08 Versys in Fl. and I flew down to watch the Shuttle launch and ride the bike back to Ky. There were delays with the Shuttle so , I didn't get to see that . I did stretch the ride out to 1000 miles so got a feel for the bike.
    And I went on an Eidleweiss trip in the Alps on the second gen Wee and was happy all round with it. That was a 1300 mile try-out.
    The Versys was never bad and as long as the road was curvy , no problem. During the long straight sections the buzz was noticeable .
  14. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. The Thruxton and Bonnies(so by extension, the T100) had 360* cranks, the Scrambler was the bike in that family that had a 270*. All the new water cooled modern classics from Triumph have a 270* crank.

And now I'm filled my allotment of arguing with strangers on the internet.
    vnsfxr and John Ashman like this.
  15. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    They need to do this in 650 single, 500 twin and 300 single versions. A new NX series, since they're in the process of killing it off globally.

Maxacceleration likes this.
  16. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Since we are talking of this CB125X concept bike, which no doubt looks sharp... The big four as of late have a habit of make heavy bikes.
    Take the CRF250L Rally - a heavy bike. WR250, heavy bike. DR200, also heavy, and shouldn't be.
    This concept bike has more body work (thus more attachment points), so I don't see Honda making this bike light.
    Looks like a world market bike as these companies seem to do, not a specialized high performance bike. Hope I would be wrong. But alas its just a concept bike. All it needs is 7-8" of travel, and to be on the light side! Sure do look good though.
    Go for it Honda.
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The new CB300R is shockingly light for a Honda. Maybe they're finally getting it. Why add weight when good engineering up front saves manufacturing cost?
  18. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    I follow you and agree. So why the heavy CRF250L & Rally at 317 lbs? The 'all new' 2019 CFR250F air cooled. Uber cool, yet weighing a stated 265 lbs.
    Yes the CB300R is ok at 313 lbs with no plasitcs or 'tower' up front. In comparison the CBR300R with plastics comes in at 357 lbs. Both single cylinder bikes.
    Honda still has some work to do to get fully on the lightweight bandwagon.

Make a 300 lb CB250X, as the 125 pictured above and Honda has a winner. It wont happen IMO, as it would compete with the 250 Rally. I'll bet $20 on it.
    We can dream though.
    If I was to get a 125, It would be the street legal Beta 125 RR-S. Looks like a hoot.
  19. Larry321

Larry321 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no clear place where this posting could belong since it is not about one specific model and is about something which did not exist a few years ago.

I would like to get others’ opinions about smaller adventure bikes.

I am looking to sell my Honda Aero Shadow and get a small adventure bike. I do not want a bike that is so heavy I cannot lift it up by myself or has a seat height that is to high.

I want it to be powerful enough and comfortable enough for highway riding, also.

I have been considering the following bikes:

BMS G310GS

Kawasaki Versys 300

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Honda CB500X

Although larger, the Suzuki V-Strom 650

I think the F750GS and F850GS are too heavy and too expensive.

What do you all think of those smaller adventure bikes?
  20. Bkadv2

Bkadv2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cbr300r(sport bike), cb300f(naked bike), cb300r(new design naked bike).

they all have same engines! the new cb300r chassis design shaved 35 lbs over the cb300f naked bike!!!!!!!! and saved 42 lbs over the sport bike cbr300r

crf250l rally weighs in @ 342 lbs, lighter than the sport bike and I can personally tell you the frame can TAKE hell a lot of bashing and abuse

even the cbr250r/r300r chassis can take a lot of abuse..people in India off road on the sport bikes

if the NEW cb300r(naked) can take the same abuse with the new design then Wow imagine a newly designed CRF 250L?