Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    Later years Transalps the dry weight is up to 432 and power down to 50 - , somehow I think Honda was playing fast and loose with the spec. That doesn't mean the VT didn't weigh more and have less power.
  2. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    The Dakars have 8" travel. 8 crummy useless inches until you get proper springs and valving. I think 6 quality inches would mean more offroad than 8 or 10 crap inches.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's always been my sales pitch!
  4. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I honestly think someone soon is going to do and make a lot of sales and get incredibly awesome press. It is arguably already happening with the Duc Scrambler, but it will depend if the press like's it's trail capacity or not. Or whether it breaks or not.
    larryboy likes this.
  5. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well as long as its Imaginary for now,How about the dr 650 frame with an upgraded shock in the lowered position and Drz 400 Forks shrunk 2 " (50mm) for a 34.5 " seat height.Lets take 2 drz 400 cylinders a wide ratio tranny and efi.Theres your base model.
  6. MetalBender

MetalBender Banned

Oddometer:
    Didn't Aprilla already make a fuel injected light weight small displacement v-twin?
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Yes....but for racing and with famous need for being rebuilt. It has a 12.5:1 compression ration. Needs to be 10-20% lower than that. I would kill for a detuned, reliable version, definitely.
    oldairhd and larryboy like this.
  8. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    How about a Moto Morini?
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Moto%20Morini/moto_morini_500_camel%2081.htm
    [​IMG]

They got a little heavier towards the end.
    [​IMG]

Moto Morini 501 Coguaro
    Year 1989

Engine
    Air cooled, four stroke, 72° V Twin, belt driven single cam operating pushrod 2 valve per cylinder

Capacity
    Bore x Stroke 71 x 64 mm

Compression Ratio 11.5:1

Induction
    2x Dell'Orto

Ignition / Starting
    Electronic

Max Power
    42 hp 31 kW @ 8500 rpm

Transmission / Drive
    6 Speed / chain

Front Suspension
    Telescopic forks

Rear Suspension
    Alloy swinging arm single shocks

Front Brakes
    Single 260mm disc

Rear Brakes
    Single 230mm disc

Front Tyre
    3.00-21

Rear Tyre
    4.00-18

Dry-Weight / Wet-weight
    203 kg

Fuel Capacity
    22 Lires
  9. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the way to do this for the Aprilia RXV4.5 and RXV5.5 is with different (milder) cams, tuned for max torque rather than max power, along with changing the pistons to a lower compression ratio. Then retune the FI and add a real sub-frame and higher output alternator. More reliable, more useful, more fuel efficient. Done.
  10. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And as long as we're fantasizing, how about a higher-reliability version of the KTM 950 SE? It was "only" 443 lbs. wet. Or, same concept with the rumored new-in-design 500-750cc KTM twin motor?
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Having owned a Transalp for a bunch of years, it's hardly the ADV dream bike.

In serious need of a 6 speed gear box. Gearing either too low for decent asphalt run, or too high for decent offroad.

No grunt off idle, even when geared low. Had to be revved high to pull well.

Vibed like a beast on the interstate, that even with "interstate" gearing.

Crappy suspension, spindly forks, shitty brakes.

I'd pick the older model KLR 650 over a Transalp....and in fact I had both at the same time and could compare back to back. :deal

Transalp is a pretty bike though.
  12. Ixheimer

Ixheimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread & idea. Hopefully the 'makers' are watching.

Haven't seen much on the BMW side which is understandable since they've obviously gone the other way with respect to size.... even on the F models!

Can't help but throw this out there, they were fairly close with specs. desired in this thread with the '80s era R80G/S. Just over 400 lbs. with a full tank, Dakar version was heavier with the oversized fuel tank. All they had to do & if the will was there today still could, is go the other way a little with a refined, updated version R60G/S or even R45G/S.... and keep it simple, naked & air cooled.

Dimensions/Weights R80G/S
    Length x Width x Height 2230 x 820 x 1150 mm (87.79 x 32.28 x 45.27 in)
    Wheel Base 1465 mm / 57.67 in
    Fuel Tank Capacity 19.5 litres / 4.28 gal / 5.15 gal US (Paris - Dakar: 32 litres / 7.03 gal / 8.45 gal US)
    Unladen Weight with Full Tank 186 Kg / 409 lb (Paris - Dakar: 205 Kg / 451 lb)
    Max. Permissible Weight 398 Kg / 876 lb
    Ground Clearance 175 mm / 6.88 in
    Seat Height (Unladen) 860 mm (33.9 inches)
    Fuel Consumption 5.0 litres 100 Km (at constant 90 Kph) / 47 mpg US or 56 mpg / 47 mpg US
    Top Speed 168 Kph / 104 mph
    Acceleration 0 - 100 Kph / 62 mph 5.6 seconds

Alas, this is what evolved instead. But who's to blame? Clearly the market for large beasts is there, folks are buying them in record numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah! Hopefully they wouldn't screw it up with something like a close-ratio gearbox, 50lb of gadgetry, finicky/unreliable electronics, a 15K-mile camchain, a 40" seat height, a gimmicky airshock, a small front wheel, etc.
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I think with the success of the new Duke 390, they're finally realizing that short people buy motorcycles too, and even people with lower budgets.

I was hoping they'd rebrand Husky and go for "Ready to Enjoy", rather than simply clone KTM. Though it's not a twin, I think putting the 350 or 375 engine into true trail bike with a maneagle seat height for $5K or so would sell like tacos.
    larryboy likes this.
  15. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    That would be a good sized bike. Such as the boldly styled Husky 401.
    Lengthen the seat/tail section (for moving fore & aft), then add 7-8" of travel, get the seat height right and that would make for an interesting 'out of the box' thinking/looking bike.
    Design in luggage 'bosses' and you've got something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Does that actually fit a 6 pack? If so, I'm in!

KTM - "We can't turn the Duke chassis into anything more than a street only bike"

Husky - "We can"
    larryboy likes this.
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    It would be fantastic to see BMW build an F500GS ADV bike, mainly for foreign markets, but while the F700 fits me like a glove, the F800GS is just a tad too tall for my tastes and a bit too heavy for off roading. They claim something like this will happen, but I would be surprised to see a twin since they already have that in the 800 size. I found the X-country very tempting, as a scrambler type bike, but felt its ergonomics to be a little strange. Almost bought the F650GS and didn't and then the money went elsewhere and...oh well.....
    larryboy likes this.
  18. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    And here is a nice little Rotax 500cc Vtiwn engine that could end up in something most excellent, rather than a 4 wheeler. [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  19. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Another engine that exists for a smaller GS model, the BMW 650 twin from the C 650 GT. [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  20. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    The F650GS can be a good starting point. The F700GS is too close to the 800 (engine tune-wise).
    But I want lighter!